By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - should i get a 360 elite or hold out for a ps3

youjiro said:

hey i live in the uk, and i just bought myself a samsung hdtv (which is reali nice by the way), and since i got that i been comtimplating on buying myself a 360 or a ps3, but i just don't know which one i should splash the cash on. I already have a wii, which is really doing the job, but cause of the hdtv i think its worthwhile looking at the 360 and ps3.

so far i'm leaning towards the 360 elite, which launches next week over here because its got such a huge games library, and lots of games that i would love to play, gears of war, oblivion and bioshock to name afew. but i don't trust microsoft as all 3 of my friends who own an xbox360 have experienced the ring of death, and i'm too lazy to go about fixing it if it does have problems. other then that i think it would make a good console

as for the ps3 i have faith that the future releases will be worth looking into and trust that it will release a multitude of rpg games, and think that it has promise for the future. but at the moment there are no games whatsoever that appeal to me on the ps3 (keep in mind i live in europe so everything comes like 20yrs late, over-exaggeration i kno but it feels that long). and also price isn't an issue cus theres some good package deals for jus over £400.

so wanna buy one, but each of the consoles negative points are a huge turn off for me, so its like choosing between 2 evils...

I don't know if you can get the sony credit card deal over there or not, but it's worth looking into.  The bottom line is this: it's your money and you need to decide what you want out of the sytem.  If you are buying it primarily to play games, you need to look at the games you want to play now and buy the one that has them.  If you are into HD movies, you definitely want to factor in the BR drive.  There are a few exclusives on the PS3 this year that I would really like to have.  There are also some on the 360 as well.  Look at your lineup over the next year and choose accordingly.  I suspect by holidays next year you will be able to get either console for $300 or less which means you can pick up whichever you don't choose this year at a decent price next year.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Even though I'm not into the 360, You should probably get one. Cheaper, more games, enough said.

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

Get a PS3 you just got an HDTV why not get a Blu-ray play as an added bonus. I am not sure what kind of games you are into but PS3 games are coming out very soon and at once WarHawk - Lair - Heavenly Sword - Stranglehold all within the next month. Also it seems that right now devs are having a hard time using trhe power of the PS3 and the Cell but it also seems there have been some issues with 360 hardware reaching a limit. The PS3 still has places to go graphics and gameplay wise I am just not sure how much more Devs can get out of the 360. Keep in mind if you want a wireless internet connection that will be built into a PS3 and cost you $100 more on a 360.

Id get a 360 now. PS3 later when its cheaper and has more stuff out (and there is more money in your pocket).

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

NorthStar said:
Keep in mind if you want a wireless internet connection that will be built into a PS3 and cost you $100 more on a 360.

This little part about the 360 really pissed me off but I refused to pay the $100 wifi tax.  Instead, I bought a play-link which is a $20 wifi connection and hooked it up that way.  Works like a champ and I'm still wireless.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

When deciding something like this you need to take certain things into account, so create two lists one for the 360, one for the PS3 and see which one offers you more in terms of what you want to play.

If you do that and it comes out pretty even think about multiplayer, is it something really important to you, worth spending money-per-year on? If so, then the 360 will probably be your hoice. However, if it's not all that important but you atill fancy to have a little go at it, then the PS3 will be the better option.

Also, if you are of school age take into consideration as to what your friends have, if they all have PS3s getting a PS3 can add more to the multiplayer, likewise with the 360. You can also discuss the same AAA games.

andrewpeirce said:
The 360 has some RPGS, such as blue dragon and the elder scrolls: oblivion
I would get a 360 if I were you

PS3 has Oblivion as well and it runs a bit smoother on the PS3 since they can use the hard drive to cut loading....Devs can not do that on 360 due to the core system not having a Hard drive at all. The only Game that has come out on the 360 that made me want one was Gears of War... and after long consideration I had to go with a PS3 the Blue ray wireless connection and the look of Resistance (a launch game) was too much to pass up as well as I know MGS4 Final Fantasy and God of War would eventually make me buy a PS3 at some point.

I'd personally skip both and wait slightly longer for the Xbox 360 version that has the quieter DVD-drive and no more red ring of death. Might even come with some extra stuff or a price drop when it finally arrives.

well i actually have to consider my friends cus i've living in a 6 bedroom house with 5 other people who don't own any next gen consoles, so they always in my room playin the wii... guess its understandable considerin we're broke university students.

i reckon i mite aswell get the 360 cause halo 3 coming out and its a great multiplayer game. online play is not an issue rite now, multiplayer is higher up on my list. mite aswell check out game and see what offers they have

plus bioshock looks reali good... jus saw the video review for it on ign, looks quality

wii friend code: 3164-3458-9149-5470

PSN ID: youjiro87

360 Gamertag: PM me to find out!

footbag said:

I have a 360 and I just bought a PS3. The PS3 is worthless for the next year and I'm considering selling it. The 360 has a lot of great games and Xbox live is amazing. The downloadable content is amazing. Everything from Comedy Central shows, To movies, to games. You won't be disappointed with the 360.

Based on what I've seen, I'm not sure the PS3 will ever surpass the 360 in performance.  And the 360 currently has far superior graphics. 

Another 360 fanboy talking crap about the ps3. Im really getting tired of this.

ON topic: You live in the uk, motorstorm and resistance alone would easily hold you off for a couple of months. Those games have THE BEST online experience you can ever ask for. Heavenly sword should be coming out soon over there, and warhawk is coming out sept 12th over there. I say go ps3.

edit:Since you live with alot of people the ps3 supports 7 controllers at the same time just a hint.

mM