By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - should i get a 360 elite or hold out for a ps3

hey i live in the uk, and i just bought myself a samsung hdtv (which is reali nice by the way), and since i got that i been comtimplating on buying myself a 360 or a ps3, but i just don't know which one i should splash the cash on. I already have a wii, which is really doing the job, but cause of the hdtv i think its worthwhile looking at the 360 and ps3.

so far i'm leaning towards the 360 elite, which launches next week over here because its got such a huge games library, and lots of games that i would love to play, gears of war, oblivion and bioshock to name afew. but i don't trust microsoft as all 3 of my friends who own an xbox360 have experienced the ring of death, and i'm too lazy to go about fixing it if it does have problems. other then that i think it would make a good console

as for the ps3 i have faith that the future releases will be worth looking into and trust that it will release a multitude of rpg games, and think that it has promise for the future. but at the moment there are no games whatsoever that appeal to me on the ps3 (keep in mind i live in europe so everything comes like 20yrs late, over-exaggeration i kno but it feels that long). and also price isn't an issue cus theres some good package deals for jus over £400.

so wanna buy one, but each of the consoles negative points are a huge turn off for me, so its like choosing between 2 evils...

wii friend code: 3164-3458-9149-5470

PSN ID: youjiro87

360 Gamertag: PM me to find out!

Around the Network

Personally, if 360 has lineup of games I really like, I'd go with 360 first. Enjoy it all I can. Then when PS3 has the lineup of games I want, I can decide later what to do with the 360, to sell or to keep, then buy the PS3. If you buy ps3 now without any games to enjoy, how is it different than just not getting it yet?

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

FYI, PS3 1st-party games are region free. I believe 3rd party are as well but I'm not 100% sure. Basically as long as it's translated and out somewhere, you can pick it up and play it on your PS3 w/o the wait.

The 360 negatives might no longer exist as they've got the new hardware.
It sounds like its a matter of whether you want to play games NOW or if you should just hold of until the PS3 actually has games you want and either put the money aside or use it for more Wii games.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

They have fixed the hardware issues. At least that is what they claim and the anectodal evidence supports this. Most of the red rings instances you hear about from now on will be ppl that bought a 360 before the fix. Also you regularly hear that the elite has a MUCH lower screw-up rate than the core/pro. The new heat sink addition works. My first 360 without it used to emit heat like the sun. My refurbished one can be running games full blast for HOURS and still feel cool. GET A 360, especially if you can afford an elite. It will be 18 months to 2 years before the PS3 games library can match the 360's, and thats assuming that microsoft have no major surprises up their sleeve (which they will)

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

If the hardware issues aren't fixed yet (does anybody know when the falcon is/was supposed to hit stores?), then at least there's still the 3 year warranty.

I'm drooling over videos of Mass Effect, so the Elite would be my choice. And Children of Men is out on HD-DVD, that single movie is worth splashing the extra cash for the HD-DVD add on.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Elite would be my choice too, just because the game library still owns the PS3. The 360 has such a larger market that I just can't imagine many 3rd parties giving the system many exclusives, so you basically gauranteed most non sony first-party games.

The PS3 is a good gaming system though, very reliable, its just a matter of time. But for now, I want to be able to game with my system :)

Vote for Ron Paul 2008

Only Anti-War and Anti-Taxes Republican

Freedom is a message everyone can embrace!

Did you think about the option of waiting?

If you are not interested in PS3's games, why get one now? Unless you are interested in watching HD movies. Then you would have to rethink about getting a BR player now that would become a gaming machine when the games you want came out.

If you don't trust the 360's hardware, you could wait for reports that it is finally solved.

I have a 360 and I just bought a PS3. The PS3 is worthless for the next year and I'm considering selling it. The 360 has a lot of great games and Xbox live is amazing. The downloadable content is amazing. Everything from Comedy Central shows, To movies, to games. You won't be disappointed with the 360.

Based on what I've seen, I'm not sure the PS3 will ever surpass the 360 in performance.  And the 360 currently has far superior graphics. 

I would get the PS3, but that just me. I really like the games that are coming out for the PS3 better then the games coming out for the 360. In my opinion, the Elite is waste of money. If I was going to get a 360, it would be the one thats 350$. It really comes down to what games you like, though. The PS3 is really bringing the heat. Heavenly Sword is on it's way out; along with Warhawk, Lair, and some of the games that are already out. If price isn't a problem go for the PS3. That PS3 starter pack is a very good option. I say go with the Starter pack.

The 360 has some RPGS, such as blue dragon and the elder scrolls: oblivion
I would get a 360 if I were you