By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official December NPD 2008 Thread

Wow at the huge VGC - NPD difference on the Wii. Though the NPD number remains high and nothing to sneeze at I must say I am disappointed. Was hoping to see 3 million sales. Oh well.

I wasn't here last year so am very surprised at what I read saying that same thing happened at the Dec 07 NPD release (ie VGC overtracking Wii by a mile) and that ioi (Brett) adjusted down and then with the finacial reports from Nintendo, readjusted back up.

Seems hard to believe that NPD would adjust November in its December release (not very professional I must say).

But agree that financial reports from the 3 constructors will bring the light, it does still allow for major leeway in regards to the difference between shipped and sold to consumers and everyone is entitled to their opinion as to what amounts are sitting on shelves (or in transit).

Anyway, great job on the rest of the figures which were pretty spot on (but does that really mean anything based on what we are saying NPD does with its Wii slaes figures?)!

Elaine: I will never understand people

Jerry: They're the worst.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
More evidence of the massive EA RB2 Wii screwup:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/945/945695p1.html

According to data from the NPD group, the Wii version of Rock Band was the franchise's best-selling SKU last year with over a million units sold. The PlayStation 2 version was right behind it. Rock Band Wii and PS2 were the 29th and 31st best-selling games of the year, respectively.

The original Xbox 360 Rock Band came in at just under 800,000 units. Rock Band 2 on 360, available since September, sold just under 600,000 units.

The NPD data isn't clear which SKUs are Special Editions and which are the game only. Rock Band 2 on Wii was released right at the tail end of the year and moved just over 150,000 units.

You're right, EA can't be happy seeing that the Wii version of Guitar Hero is by far the best selling SKU. It must be close to 1.5 million according to NPD, while the 360 version hasn't even crossed 1 million yet (judging by the fact it isn't in the top 10 in December and was ranked 15th in November) But I guess they at least got some sales from the original Rock Band and the sequel did manage to sell 150k in only 2 weeks.

Btw, LTD the original Rock Band on 360 must still be above the Wii version, cause part of its sales took place in 2007. Still I'm pretty surprised the Wii version got to a million in sales considering it is a port of the lousy PS2 version.

@BengaBenga: Your latest CrazzyMan images are not readable. Could you provide a link to the posts or thread pages please? :)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

koffieboon said:
FishyJoe said:
More evidence of the massive EA RB2 Wii screwup:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/945/945695p1.html

According to data from the NPD group, the Wii version of Rock Band was the franchise's best-selling SKU last year with over a million units sold. The PlayStation 2 version was right behind it. Rock Band Wii and PS2 were the 29th and 31st best-selling games of the year, respectively.

The original Xbox 360 Rock Band came in at just under 800,000 units. Rock Band 2 on 360, available since September, sold just under 600,000 units.

The NPD data isn't clear which SKUs are Special Editions and which are the game only. Rock Band 2 on Wii was released right at the tail end of the year and moved just over 150,000 units.

You're right, EA can't be happy seeing that the Wii version of Guitar Hero is by far the best selling SKU. It must be close to 1.5 million according to NPD, while the 360 version hasn't even crossed 1 million yet (judging by the fact it isn't in the top 10 in December and was ranked 15th in November) But I guess they at least got some sales from the original Rock Band and the sequel did manage to sell 150k in only 2 weeks.

Btw, LTD the original Rock Band on 360 must still be above the Wii version, cause part of its sales took place in 2007. Still I'm pretty surprised the Wii version got to a million in sales considering it is a port of the lousy PS2 version.

They certainly make for an interesting graph;
http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=America&game1=Rock+Band+-+Wii&reg2=America&game2=Rock+Band+-+PS3&reg3=America&game3=Rock+Band+-+X360&weeks=88

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Around the Network
Mendicate Bias said:

lol I love how dmeister plays it off like its nothing when he was the one going crazy in the thread before the figures were revealed and probably cares about sales figures more than most. How bout you take the time to reply to his well written post, I'm sure you can find something to spin positive, you always do.

I love it when people reply to only my posts in a thread.

I love the attention I get from stalkers like you.  

And I also love how you have the reading comprehension skills of an infant, when I clearly stated that the PS3 sales are verry worrying that they went down Year over Year in NPD.

Stop failing. x_x

DMeisterJ said:
Mendicate Bias said:

I love it when people reply to only my posts in a thread.

I love the attention I get from stalkers like you.  

Lol I noticed this too XD

I mean, a thread is going ok and suddenly someone comments on something you said, I was like lol DMJ has stalkers???

are you a celebrty here?? did you get into a fight with someone that got them banned??

it didn't just happen once, I would creep out if i was you! lol O_o

^^^ This is what you get for blowing a rumor out of proportion

Chocobo brain damage!!! Here, drink this diet Coke..*runs*

Currently playing :

VC - Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen
Wii - New Super Mario Bros. Wii
DS - Glory of Heracels

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Racers are selling, did you not notice Mario Kart Wii?

Sure. What do you think the total racer sales on Wii will be? I'd say it's shaping up to be 25-30M for MKWii, and then a 15M or so for the rest. Definitely below 50M, and I see 40M as the likely zone.

Okay, now Ps2. I counted 80M, and it is probably higher due to incomplete data. I'm pretty sure it's close to double of the Wii.

Khuutra said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

It isn't like there's a huge shift though. The difference from Ps2 to this gen is mainly that

1. Racers aren't selling

2. JRPGs aren't selling (or are yet to be released).

Shooters, Racers and JRPGs are all the genres in the Ps2's top 15.

Well I mean if you take out two thirds of the genre count then yeah I guess it's not that different.

JRPGs weren't actually huge movers on the PS2, once you got past S-E's big three. Interesting, but people rarely talk about it.

My point is pretty horrible.

Ps2 sold ~ 80M racers. (possibly 90M)

GC sold 15-20M

XB sold 25-30M.

This gen, Wii will sell ~ 40M

Ps360 has already sold 35M, and considering many of the major racers are left to release, it could easily sell 80M.

So the genre overall hasn't dropped. But as the other genres (due to rise in SW sales) have increased, racers are dropping off compared to those.

The Ps2's top 20 was

4 shooters

6 racers

5 Square JRPGs

1 Madden

3 movie/series games.

This gen, it is much more ala the XB.

It had

8 shooters (as much as X360 currently has)

3 WRPGs

3 Sports games

4 racers

2 other violence oriented games (no idea what category to put them in).

That's actually pretty interesting.

The GC kind of games (best sellers) are the ones that are now on Wii.

The XB kind of games (best sellers) are the ones that are now on Ps360

The Ps2 kind of games (best sellers) aren't really major on any console right now. Well, maybe PsP.

(DS doesn't really follow any of last gen's, but is more of a completely new type of games, and a N64/Snes mix).

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Oyvoyvoyv said:

This gen, it is much more ala the XB.

It had

8 shooters (as much as X360 currently has)

3 WRPGs

3 Sports games

4 racers

2 other violence oriented games (no idea what category to put them in).

You mean: Dead Or Alive 3 - Beat'em up

and what's the 2nd game ? Star Wars Battlefront ? Ghost Recon ? - both shooters

I always laugh when people say the PS3 doesn't get any software in the top ten for Americas and thus it is in trouble. It's in trouble yes, but that's not a symptom of it.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it