By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official December NPD 2008 Thread

Kasz216 said:
Interesting NPD. It's fun to see people switch positions in the arguements.

Financials are coming up soon. Should be fun to see who is "right".

Nintendo apparently shipping less in Decemember then Janurary is... confusing... worrying about the Dollar to Yen transition makes sense... but holding on to stock would be worse. Were they shipped elsewhere who knows.

Are people really scratching their heads over the Wii Dec number? They simply didnt back end load their 4th quarter supply. Go look up their previous report that they were going to be shipping upwards of 50% more Wiis this fourth quarter than they did last year, they did just this on neogaf and the numbers aligned just fine. Theres no conspiracy, no witch craft, no sudden hoarding, no sudden downtick in demand, NPD isnt suddenly wrong, and theres no mystery. Like the past two years, they sold what they shipped. Im almost in awe that people are still doing this. Do we still not get it by now? C'mon guys....

Around the Network

One idea on WiiPlay: some of the retailers I have seen have STOPPED stocking raw-Wiimotes - and just stocking WiiPlay (or have a heavy skewed ratio).

So with so many people buying WiiMarioKart, and with coming over for Xmas fun - a lot of remotes --> WiiPlay ... copies were sold.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I'm pretty disappointed that Wii Music only sold 488k copies. This can be explained by:

1. Recession
2. Media/Fanboy hate
3. Not getting a price cut

respect -1000 for not adjusting. Some people should come off their high horses as NPD is way more accurate than VGchartz, which still has a long way to go to become a respected tracker. Even Nintendo verified the numbers, they would have said something if there was something stinky about the figures like they did once a few years ago.

mehm said:

respect -1000 for not adjusting. Some people should come off their high horses as NPD is way more accurate than VGchartz, which still has a long way to go to become a respected tracker. Even Nintendo verified the numbers, they would have said something if there was something stinky about the figures like they did once a few years ago.

I wasn't aware that NPD had ever been far off enough for Nintendo outright correct them. When did that happen?

Around the Network

All in all, the entire year summed up; another great job by Vgchartz! Congrats Brett, we appreciate your hard work (allthough some users may not seem like it)!

I lold

ROFFLE! He's not banned from there?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Something tells me he'll be on his way to Gamespot or Gamefaqs very soon.

He's already something of a pariah there. They referred to him as VGChartz's very own Sony cheerleader. Bad sign!