By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Dear Internet: Quit Overhyping Killzone 2

^troll much?

Around the Network

The ironic thing here is that most shooter fans prefer xbox 360 to ps3 and it's really a wrong decision to hype a shooter on ps3. Hyping some other type of game where sony is traditionally powerfull would be much better. Sony is actually cornered in this case; they'd like to hype RPGs like Final Fantasy XIII, which is not exclusive anymore, 360 has a lot of them. They could hype 3D fighters like Tekken, which is gone too, and beat'em ups are no big deal anymore. You can't hype platformers as they are one big advantage to Nintendo. Unfortunately both Insomniac and Naughty Dog chose to go for TPS and FPS, and even though those games are great, they just cannot compete with the popularity of Gears of War and Halo. Interestingly FPS and TPS are where the console can show off the power and PS3 was claimed to be a powerhouse from the very beginning. And having to hype this type of games proved a flawed strategy from the very beginning.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Euphoria14 said:
Like I was saying before, I see more XBox and Wii fans getting worked up about this game than anyone else. What is even better is those saying it is hyped in terms of sales, is it not possible to have something NOT sales related? Is it not possible to hype something in terms of quality? I see more people saying "This game is going to be awesome" than "This game is going to sell 10M copies". I see more threads about the gameplay quality, graphics, etc... than sales threads for the game.

Who knows, maybe I am just looking at a different www.VGChartz.com than some others.

This game has lived up to expectations in terms of the E3 2005 trailer and now those who refuse to eat crow are trying to downplay the game. If it was the other way around and it didn't live up to the E3 2005 trailer we would have threads like "KZ2 overhyped, didn't live up to expectations", so honestly either way we were expecting crap like this.

Makes me think back to 2007. Halo 3 hype, I mean HUGE HYPE, mild hype for Mass Effect, same for Bioshock. If I remember correctly this was the same time we had to read "Best Holiday Lineup in Gaming History" all over the damn place. Did it let up? Of course not, people kept riding it all the way up to each games release date and for some, even beyond that point. Strange to see how quickly some forget this.

Once again I ask this. Why was it perfectly ok then, or even ok for Gears of War and Gears of War 2 but so wrong for Killzone 2? Looks to me like more hypocrisy to be perfectly honest.

So Much Win in This Post. of course you are right. PS3 Fans can't win either way.

Magnific0 said:
^troll much?

Haha I was joking your dweeb.

Lafiel said:
@ mesoteto )

who is this "sony camp" you always seem to talk about and with ? CrazzyMan? Megaman2 (although he always seemd to be ironic/kidding) ? Rock_on_ ?

I just saw several PS3 owners saying "KZ2 won't be the PS3s saviour".

i refer to teh people that come in and have under a few hundred post that only seem to spell doom and gloom for nin and 360 , then praise everything teh ps3 does

the ones that dont really seem to carea bout gaming and our passion but rather what the "cool" new thing is

Around the Network
mesoteto said:
Lafiel said:
@ mesoteto )

who is this "sony camp" you always seem to talk about and with ? CrazzyMan? Megaman2 (although he always seemd to be ironic/kidding) ? Rock_on_ ?

i refer to teh people that come in and have under a few hundred post that only seem to spell doom and gloom for nin and 360 , then praise everything teh ps3 does

the ones that dont really seem to carea bout gaming and our passion but rather what the "cool" new thing is

eh, let them be.  all 3 systems make their owners happy most of the time, and no system is going to die any time soon so there are no saviors needed.  can't say that I see many people spelling doom and gloom for Nintendo and 360, though.  if they are, they are misinformed I'd imagine.

Lafiel said:
@ mesoteto )

Seriously, this is bugging the crap out of me. I'm trying to figure out who the heck are all these people that are saying Killzone 2 is not only going to be the end all be all of games, but are also saying that it's going to be the PS3's saviour?

No offense, but I'm starting to think that these arguments are either being based on the most extreme Sony fans (a la "LBP will sell 10 million day ONE!") or are being fabricated by fans of other systems.

mesoteto said:
Lafiel said:
@ mesoteto )

You are ignoring the fact that the behavior you described occurs equally for all consoles.  Call it being a fanboy, trolling, etc, but it happens on all gaming sites for all consoles.  Guess how many times I am in a Sony thread discussing a benign subject and some trollster mentions Halo/GeoW rules.  It is pointless crap that should be moderated better.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

I would like a few thinks to those claims Mestoto. Don't have Links? I shant believe .

dbot said:
mesoteto said:
Lafiel said:
@ mesoteto )

You are ignoring the fact that the behavior you described occurs equally for all consoles.  Call it being a fanboy, trolling, etc, but it happens on all gaming sites for all consoles.  Guess how many times I am in a Sony thread discussing a benign subject and some trollster mentions Halo/GeoW rules.  It is pointless crap that should be moderated better.

i agree i thik teh level of hype anymore is just getting out of hand and causeing many games that could have been sleeper hits to get trampled b/c people seem to feel the need to tear down anoter game b/c someone else did

look at heavenly sword, from what i understand it wasnt really a bad game just short with a few quirks--but if you talk about it now it seems only to be a shame spot on the ps3 libary

on the flip side look at GTA4--i have seen its to be full of glitchs with just average graphics and such--sure there is etxra stuff but ehh...what is teh point of watching tv in a video game?---but it was hypes to teh extreme as a great game and look at teh pass it got on teh reviews and other websites---