By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii is flooded with crappy games - says creator of Carnival Games..

I know how much you all love my threads, so here we go again! 2K games CEO had this to say today:

The global boss of 2K has predicted that publishers bringing non-licensed games to Wii this year could struggle – as the console’s market is “flooded by crappy titles”.

Speaking to MCV, Christoph Hartmann said that his company would find it difficult to secure the success it has enjoyed with its Carnival game if it had to release it today.

He said: “Where people go wrong in the casual market is that, while the development costs are exploding on the casual side, they’re treating the Wii like the old PC market – making cheap, accessible games. They think if they make ten titles and two are hits, they will finance the other eight. “But they forget these eight crappy titles will flood the market and will lead to problems in terms of production – and upset retailers. Also, the consumer will be pissed off because they’ll be confused.

Of 2K’s own success on Wii with Carnival, Hartmann said that getting the title early to market was key. 

He added: “Had we released it last week, it would have been much tougher. There’s far too much stuff in the Wii market [now] and it’s hard to shine. While the Wii is the strongest growing console, it’s a risk not to have well known brands in your games.”

So, while this is hilarious coming from the creator of Carnival Games, he has a point. The Wii has received far too much shovelware far too quickly. The non-gaming consumer, i.e someone that's not reading reviews, impulse buys in shops for their kids, has no way to tell if a game is shovelware or not. It's pretty hard for that person to find the diamond in the mud, so to speak. I'd even go as far as to say that it could possibly hurt software sales in the future as these people are put off with the crappy games they keep buying.

Thoughts?

Edit: link http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32941/There-are-too-many-crappy-games-on-Wii

Around the Network

Already posted. And that one just turned into a flame war.

Outcast... They get it.... You don't like the Wii.

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

Do you have anything better to do with your life than troll the Wii?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Thrillhouse said:
Outcast... They get it.... You don't like the Wii.

I think the Wii killed his family ...

Around the Network

What a shocker another one of these from you...

sorry you are already too late.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I actually don't see anything wrong with posting this, other than the fact that it's a dupe thread of course.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

OK. I didn't write anything that could be construed as a troll in the OP, it's a quote from a games developer who brings up a valid point.

Outcast said:
OK. I didn't write anything that could be construed as a troll in the OP, it's a quote from a games developer who brings up a valid point.

I don't know, the PS2 and PC are also flooded with crappy games and they did fine. Seems like more excuses from developers.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Irony because Carnival games sucks ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.