By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: "We aren't competing with Sony or Microsoft"

So yeah the wii is fad! omg! is true! Nintendo is soooooo stupid that it will keep making for teh cazualz!

*rolls eyes*

The wii is selling like crazy. People that never played in their lives is playing one. and you keep saying that it isn't?

You are patehtic.

Around the Network
Bobbuffalo said:
So yeah the wii is fad! omg! is true! Nintendo is soooooo stupid that it will keep making for teh cazualz!

*rolls eyes*

The wii is selling like crazy. People that never played in their lives is playing one. and you keep saying that it isn't?

You are patehtic.

I can only begin to imagine that this comment is somehow aimed at me.

Wii numbers are much lower than I would expect for the console in Japan. Sure following the DQX announcement it went over the 100,000 plus mark for awhile as expected and It will probably be back over 100,000 a week when Monster Hunter G is released with its new classic controller, etc. However, in a normal week, last week, according to the new numbers put up in the Famitsu thread here today, we see the Wii only beating the PS3 by 15,000 units (less than the number that the PS3 outsold the 360 by), and I think it is because the Japanese, being more discerning in their gaming palates than senior citizens in the West that buy a Wii because their local news show says Wii Fit is a good thing for them to get moderate exercise with, do know that there are some shortcomings in the Wii's software library that is keeping it from getting mega numbers. If the PS3 is getting 30,000 sales a week and the Wii is getting less than 45,000 sales a week there, then I think there is more of a competition between the two than Nintendo, Nintendo fans, and the PS3 is deadz, crowd might be willing to admit.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Lol @ BT
you are going a little far :P

The Wii is still in the lead, and will be for a long time. Unfortunately the only thing we can do is say that the gaming does not suit our own tastes.

Also, the ps3 is doing really well in japan at the moment, but most of last year it was at 10k per week.

I do agree about the senior citizens though.

@TheProf: The idea in taking MMO:s out (although it's pretty often used in the wrong way), is actually the same thing as taking out Wii or DS, to show how the market is changing. You could take out handhelds from Japan for the same purpose. Well, people don't whine about WoW in the same fashion they do with Wii.

As for the HD costs, the industry was going down in profits years before the HD consoles came out. One of the ideas behind Wii is to expand the audience for the whole industry, not just new genres. Sonys model where they catered for the Singstar audience or the traditional audience, is the model that people accuse Nintendo, when Nintendos key strategy lies in the bridge titles.

Now, the problem with the HD consoles is (aside from Sony and M$ demanding the games being in HD), that the developers make their games expensive, it's the only way they see their games can perform (which obviously isn't true).

The timeframe indeed is a little fuzzy, but where i base my estimation about this year being the "core game" year, is because Nintendo started to talk about competition in the latter half last year. It could also be that Nintendo is relying on 3rd parties on the core titles, notice how Reggie mentions Conduit and/or Madworld in every interview. But, since titles planned for the christmas period last year propably got delayed due WM+ (it and Wii Speak are new features, which also are targeted towards the core), i believe they come out this year.

Kid Icarus was never announced. And what titles were downgraded?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
@TheProf: The idea in taking MMO:s out (although it's pretty often used in the wrong way), is actually the same thing as taking out Wii or DS, to show how the market is changing. You could take out handhelds from Japan for the same purpose. Well, people don't whine about WoW in the same fashion they do with Wii.

As for the HD costs, the industry was going down in profits years before the HD consoles came out. One of the ideas behind Wii is to expand the audience for the whole industry, not just new genres. Sonys model where they catered for the Singstar audience or the traditional audience, is the model that people accuse Nintendo, when Nintendos key strategy lies in the bridge titles.

Now, the problem with the HD consoles is (aside from Sony and M$ demanding the games being in HD), that the developers make their games expensive, it's the only way they see their games can perform (which obviously isn't true).

The timeframe indeed is a little fuzzy, but where i base my estimation about this year being the "core game" year, is because Nintendo started to talk about competition in the latter half last year. It could also be that Nintendo is relying on 3rd parties on the core titles, notice how Reggie mentions Conduit and/or Madworld in every interview. But, since titles planned for the christmas period last year propably got delayed due WM+ (it and Wii Speak are new features, which also are targeted towards the core), i believe they come out this year.

Kid Icarus was never announced. And what titles were downgraded?

I have a docs appointment so i can go into complete detail, but taking anything out depends solely on the context. If taking something out makes a difference, then you need to look at why it is being taken out. In the wii case, nothing changes, market is still growing, if you take the ds and the wii when focus is supposed to be on the wii, then a change happens. The same goes for pc gaming. Know what I mean?

That's the thing I don't accuse nintendo of opening the market, I blame them for closing the market to everyone else (people like me).

i agree, HD plat can hae great selling cheap games. The problem is that, if the game isn't unique enough, then you must rely on visuals, or else there is nothing.

Kid Icarus never being announced is just another upset :P There should be one. And by downgraded, I mean anything that suffers the Killzone effect or anything that is pushed back. SSBB TP and others. Good games are getting delays on all systems, but at least PC and HD have them out all the time (good being defined as something I like, so the argument is pretty flimsy. But from my viewpoint that is pretty shitty)

BTFeather55 said:

Wii numbers are much lower than I would expect for the console in Japan. Sure following the DQX announcement it went over the 100,000 plus mark for awhile as expected and It will probably be back over 100,000 a week when Monster Hunter G is released with its new classic controller, etc. However, in a normal week, last week, according to the new numbers put up in the Famitsu thread here today, we see the Wii only beating the PS3 by 15,000 units (less than the number that the PS3 outsold the 360 by), and I think it is because the Japanese, being more discerning in their gaming palates than senior citizens in the West that buy a Wii because their local news show says Wii Fit is a good thing for them to get moderate exercise with, do know that there are some shortcomings in the Wii's software library that is keeping it from getting mega numbers. If the PS3 is getting 30,000 sales a week and the Wii is getting less than 45,000 sales a week there, then I think there is more of a competition between the two than Nintendo, Nintendo fans, and the PS3 is deadz, crowd might be willing to admit.

I like how you ignore what I posted to you, showing your claims of the sales as bunk, and then you try to make some snyde comments about Wii owners in the west. Last I checked, Wii was still way ahead in Japan.

And for what you're trying to argue, it's funny that the Wii's sales are spiking up much higher than the PS3.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=X360&reg3=Japan&weeks=156

Would'ja lookey that!

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

theprof00 said:
dharh said:

If you take MMO's out of the picture, PC gaming has been stagnating or drifting downwards. Many of the big PC games are also found on HD consoles now. Whats left are the low budget games, mini-games, etc. Sure that part of the PC game market might drift towards the Wii, but its the HD consoles which left the hole wide enough in the first place.

This is what I love. Whenever I talk about sales with a wii supporter it's always "if you exclude this" or "if you take that out of the equation".

I once responded to some dolt who said gaming was losing popularity and market by saying that gaming has been growing tremendously every year. He said that as a way of saying that the Wii was needed to stimulate the failing market. He then said, "well if you take the wii and the ds out of the sales, then gaming is actually falling 9%". What a stupid argument. You say that it is the wii that is saving the market and then include the ds which not many people actually have a problem with. Lots of people, even hardcorez like myself, love the ds and what it does for the industry. The Wii on the other hand, just doesn't have the same advantages as the ds, in terms of games, portability, price and so on.

Why do you do this? The "us vs them" mentality is completely unnecessary. All it does is tick others off. If you check the guy's profile, he's got more PS3 games than anything (only 4 Wii games)... so did you throw him in with the "Wii supporters" just because you disliked his argument?

Also, I've noticed how many support the DS, yet look down on the Wii. Why is this the case? The idea behind both platforms is the same - less focus on graphics, new control scheme. They released far more "casual" games on the DS than the Wii. Look at the games they published in the first two years (from wiki, removed JPN only games):

See what I mean? Their DS releases were completely loaded with "casual" titles, far more than the Wii's. The reason people don't care (now) is obvious - the third party support. The Japanese third parties are what makes the DS such a great system.

Blaming Nintendo for "closing the market" on you is silly. The real problem lies with the third parties. They didn't take the console seriously, which is why the situation is as it is. Now that some time has passed since the Wii was shown to be the clear winner, things are slowly improving.

Shanobi said:
BTFeather55 said:

I like how you ignore what I posted to you, showing your claims of the sales as bunk, and then you try to make some snyde comments about Wii owners in the west. Last I checked, Wii was still way ahead in Japan.

And for what you're trying to argue, it's funny that the Wii's sales are spiking up much higher than the PS3.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii®1=Japan&cons2=PS3®2=Japan&cons3=X360®3=Japan&weeks=156

Would'ja lookey that!

I wasn't trying to argue anything.  I was stating a fact.  PS3 sales in Japan for the week of 1-3-2009 to 1-10-2009 = ~29,000.

Wii sales = 44,000 for the same week.  That is a difference of 15,000 units.  That is smaller than the same week's gaps between the PS3 and the 360 ~20,000 unit difference in favor of PS3, the DSi and the PSP 17,000 difference between the DSi and PS3 in favor of DSi, and the PSP and the Wii 25,000 difference in favor of the PSP.  And leads one to think that the competition is stiffer between the PS3 and Wii than the other consoles.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2817

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Seriously BTFeather56 get over it. Who cares if you don't like the Wii or it's games. Everything you say is complete b.s.