By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: "We aren't competing with Sony or Microsoft"

Of Course Nintendo doesn't see the competition as rivals it kicked them to the curb long ago. Only the winner of a race can say if their rivals were worth competing against. The article is saying "Wii beat your a$$" you weren't the least bit of competition. It's one thing to beat the hell out of someone and then disclaim their ability to present a rivalry as opposed to being beaten and then hoping to slink out of the loss by claiming we're not in the same league. By that logic the last generation was won by the GameCube because MS and Nintendo didn't offer a DVD player in their system so the PS2 wasn't their competition!?! It's funny how Fanboys will grasp at any straws they can find to take the sting out of their beating. First it was, " of course it sells better it's the cheapest box"! The PleaseFixMe Arcade put that bit of wishful thinking in its place. Then it was a "fad" too bad fads don't last for years A fad is something that is very popular with a small group of people for a short period of time. Find me a fad that lasted for years.

"Don't you think NPD should be listing Leapster too?"
Why would you want your favorite flavor of loser to be crushed by Leapster sales too?

Around the Network
Outcast said:
johnsobas said:

whatever, but the quote is specifically about the korean market.  It's hardly even worth talking about, 360 sold about 150k in 2 years while ps3 sold about 50k in a year.

Wrong again. If you read the article, the Korean market isn't mentioned until after the quote about the Wii's competition. The article begins with talk of the global recession, then the marketplace (which is global, elementary economics), then infiltration of the Korean market specifically.

It was fun watching your damage control attempt.  Struggling to hang on to the only arguement left against the Wii right now, "Wii doesn't count".

Even though Iwata and Reggie talk about Sony and Microsoft as their competitors, you hang onto what the CEO of Nintendo Korea said.  Good job man, what entertainment you provided.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Of course not.. I mean competing? isn't it kinda hard if you utterly destroy your rivals?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

@TheProf: Read my previous post to this thread. It should do some explaining.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Wii Sports Resort will be the first real test of whether or not the Wii is a fad. I wonder what the Wii is bigger than Jesus folks will say if it fails to reach 10,000,000 as a standalone title.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
disolitude said:
@Khuutra

All I'm saying is that MS will go after the leader. While Nintendo will not try to eliminate the competition.

Sony tried to eliminate MS as well, and they are fighting back and forth.

Xbox 1 was a market testing console, Bill gates has said this many times.

Things they learned:
- Don't launch a year later than competition
- Get amazing 3rd party support
- Dont make it cost the most

Looking at xbox 360 launch and mistakes PS3 made...they succeded 100% on what they intended to do...but they made new mistakes (RROD).

I'm just saying that for next gen, Nintendo will be on the disecting table.

Nintendo failed in doing both of the highlighted things and still kicked the 360's ass into its teeth.

Microsoft hasn't been able to shatter the hold of the leader on a major consumer electronics sector since they headbutted Apple. They haven't made any headway into portable music, and their marketshare in the video game sector has been improved, but not by a lot.

Microsoft's reaso nfor going after Sony was to prevent the Playstation brand from becoming a PC replacement (which is what Sony was aiming for all along). Nintendo doesn't present tthat kind of threat. And Microsoft knows - just like Apple knew twenty years ago - that going after Nintendo on its own turf, even if you are successful, is going to be a violent a short-lived affair.

totally f*N luv tha conclusion!!

‘cuz come to think of it, correct meeh if i’m wrong, nintendo has never posted a negative any year, ever...

i almost turned into a complete nintendo fanboy, heh

though i simply cannot due to the simple fact of love of gaming

<<even tho, i do not consider myself hardcore..>>

Regardless of what the context is in regards to region or country, I've always believed that Nintendo contentrates on games, first. Miyamato's passion for game development supports this. As long as Nintendo caters to their core fanbase and profits from it, this seems to be enough for Nintendo. Anything else is icing on the cake. Of coures with the Wii, there have been a lot of icing. I can see Nintendo just concentrating on what they do best without the "worry" of SONY and Microsoft. So they can come across as not competing with them, but they know that every dollar spent on a competing console does not go to the Wii. But because the Wii has found such profound success, it's not really an issue. Also, the selection and variety of types of games are different from the PS3 and 360. So I can see where Nintendo is coming from, and they can say these things given the current situation. This almost justifies SONY's recent stance of claiming that Wii sales are not effecting the PS3 because the Wii and PS3 are very different in offerings (those who wanted a Wii was going to buy one anyway while those who wanted a PS3 was going to buy one anyway as well).

Also, Nintendo's successful finally forced Microsoft to openly claim them as a legit competitor. Remember, Microsoft tried to stop Nintendo from making consoles by trying to buy them out before the release fo the Gamecube. Later, Microsoft would not acknowledge Nintendo as a competitor then later spinning sales numbers until the original Xbox was second in sales worldwide. They then claimed the 360 was going to be the best selling console because it was going to be the first to market and being the first to sell 10 million. Pretty much, Nintendo proved them wrong be doing what they do best so Microsoft was served a plate of crow. Yummm...

;)

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

maybee nintendo learned not to bee a punk-äςς bully as they were generations ago??

and by boasting leadz only to putting a big phat foot in u'r mouth??

and dug a hole only to find out u were diggin' u'r own grave??

LOL

BTFeather55 said:
Wii Sports Resort will be the first real test of whether or not the Wii is a fad. I wonder what the Wii is bigger than Jesus folks will say if it fails to reach 10,000,000 as a standalone title.

Based on what?

First, yes that game will be huge. Second, according to you we can just ignore sales of games like MarioKart Wii, which is trouncing GTA4 on two platforms, and Wii Fit, not to mention games like Zelda which has sold over 5 million units.

So what do you base that assesment on? I think it's great that you still cling to some shred of hope that it's still a "fad". Really, it's cute!

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Shanobi said:
BTFeather55 said:

Based on what?

First, yes that game will be huge. Second, according to you we can just ignore sales of games like MarioKart Wii, which is trouncing GTA4 on two platforms, and Wii Fit, not to mention games like Zelda which has sold over 5 million units.

So what do you base that assesment on? I think it's great that you still cling to some shred of hope that it's still a "fad". Really, it's cute!

I base it on the fact that there really isn't much of a reason to suspect that the demographic that Nintendo was trying to reach really buys that many new games.  Wii Sports has only sold as many copies as it has because it ids bundled with the Wii.  That is really the only thing that accounts for its sales.  It is not  great game by any stretch of the imagination, so that has nothing to do with its sales.  You don't see Wii Music listed as one of the top five best selling games each week do you?  The sales of Mario Kart Wii indicate that it was probably a game that appealed to Nintendo's core fans that have Wii's and it was probably bought by some of the new kids for their grandkids or something.  On the other hand, the stats that you bring up for Zelda are actually indicative of the fact that the new demographic doesn't buy that many games.  It is a substantially better game than either Mario Kart Wii -- a Game Rankings score in the low 80's, and Wii Sports a Game Rankings score less than 80, while Zelda has a Game Rankings score of 95 but has sold significantly less than Mario Kart Wii and Wii Sports, and Zelda:  TP has alsi sold less than Zelda on other recent Nintendo consoles.  And Mario Galaxy follows a similar pattern to Twilight Princess -- highest rated game on the Wii with sales that are significantly lower than games with significantly lower critical acceptance.

If Wii Sports Resort doesn't sale gang busters it will begin to show the chinks in the Wii's armor as Animal Crossing and Wii Music have been doing. 

And if there is a bit of clinging onto the hope that it is a fad on my part it has to do with the fact that the Wii really doesn't match up to my hopes for what a video game console should be.  I like better graphics and better experiences than what I've seen on the Wii so far (excluding Mario Galaxy, Zela, No More Heroes, and MP3).

Heavens to Murgatoids.