By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are Metroid franchise sales so low? How can the franchise grow?

Voltaire said:
Metroid is Tomb RAider in sapce?

Metroid was released before Tomb Raider was even thought of, so if anything, Tomb Raider is Metroid in a real world setting.

Change is good, but like people said, change in the right direction. PRime was basically just a 3D Metroid. Nothing really new (execpt the visors), just a new demension and a change in perspective.

You know what I meant.

And while Prime was good, a lot of things like the Screw Attack, Speed Boost, Wall Jump, and such didn't make it into Metroid Prime.

Metroid 1 laid the foundation.  Metroid 2 introduced the infinite Space Jump, Spider Ball, and Metroid evolution species.  Super Metroid brought the Map, Speed Boost, Grapple Beam, Super Missles, etc.  Metroid Prime put it all into 3D.  Fusion was underated, but amazing too. Prime 2 was more of the same (with the Dark and Light world and subordinate characters).  Prime 3 brought the controls and the Corruption.  Hunters....well it had decent mult-player until the cheaters took over.  All of the Prime games had intense firefights, but the enemy AI wasn't too realistic. 

The Metroid franchise always brought more to the franchise.  The franchise NEVER sat on it's laurels.  And there's never been a bad Metroid game.  Nintendo/Retro/ whomever they put on the project WILL deliver, but they have to add and not be afraid to take risks.  Exploration plus innovation. 

Around the Network

So it all boils down to whos developing the next one, and what approach they take.

It's interesting that so many people here are on pretty much the same page. I for one don't care if Metroid's popularity grows, as long as Nintendo/Retro are happy enough with the sales to keep making the games. Not every cyclist starts the Tour de France to win, some start just to finish. In much the same way i don't think all developers make a game expecting it to have GTA-like sales.

Metroid isn't really a mainstream game and i'm against any change that is made purely for the purpose of making it so (some might argue this was done to some extent in Prime 3). I'm all for innovation or trying to bring the series in a new direction as long as it doesn't interfere too much with what makes Metroid a great franchise. If changes made happen to make it more popular too, then that's fine by me.

@ksv: As i said, it's pretty random what you see on the screen.
Practically there's only two differences, which are the lower resolution, and higher framerate. Either of these can cause problems. Also the 100Hz TV:s should be able to support PAL 60.

Playing the game in widescreen on a 4:3 TV must have been an experience.

@D21: The idea of the enemies being very few and stupid is for the game being an adventure game. Usually they have been only the fauna of the planet that just try to protect their territory from the adventurer who poses a potential threat. The enemies have been there only to make your quest a little harder instead of the games purpose being to fight them.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
@ksv: As i said, it's pretty random what you see on the screen.
Practically there's only two differences, which are the lower resolution, and higher framerate. Either of these can cause problems. Also the 100Hz TV:s should be able to support PAL 60.

Playing the game in widescreen on a 4:3 TV must have been an experience.

I never said anything about widescreen :) But yeah, if the game has a widescreen option, I always play the game in widescreen, even on a 4:3 tv (with borders above and below in that case, of course). But now I have a 40" LCD

anyway, I'd like to go back to the questions I posed about the sales. I do not want the game to be "FPS'ified" or "FMV'ified" to change to sell better, if you take away what makes Metroid Metroid, it is no longer the franchise that I love, and so I wouldn't want it anyway.

Metroid is not that different from Zelda; throughout the game you get upgrades that improve/add to your character's abilities and let's you access new areas, the world is pretty open ended so you can go around exploring; and the core of the game is environmental based puzzles that need to be solved to proceed. But for some reason Zelda is much more appealing.

Could it partly be that everyone has a dream of being a hero with a sword? A female bounty hunter in a space suit with badass weapons is maybe more sexy, but harder for people to identify with?

If it's about perception more than the games themselves (the games don't need to change) could Nintendo simply make the franchise grow to new heights by improving their marketing for it?

Around the Network

@ksv: You didn't. But the GC games used the 60Hz mode for widescreen. Some games had 60Hz locked to widescreen and in some games you still could switch between the modes. Although, i can't recall how it was with WW.
So, your old TV was advanced enough to have a scaler to downscale the image to letterbox.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

ksv said:

A lot of people (like me) think the Metroid franchise is one of the best in the world. But the sales do not reflect this.

In the chart below I've collected the sales of the Metroid games that are tracked on VGchartz. The original Metroid game is still the 2nd best selling in the franchise, with double the sales of Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 3!

In Japan the franchise is barely selling at all anymore, which I guess is fine, the Japanese don't like this type of games. But what about America and Others sales?

Game Japan America Others Total
Metroid (NES) 1.04m 1.35m 0.34m 2.73m
Super Metroid (SNES) 0.71m 0.58m 0.13m 1.42m
Metroid Fusion (GBA) 0.18m 1.08m 0.29m 1.55m
Metroid Prime (GCN) 0.12m 1.98m 0.73m 2.83m
Metroid Prime 2 (GCN) 0.07m 0.84m 0.38m 1.29m
Metroid Prime 3 (Wii) 0.07m 0.85m 0.55m 1.47m
Metroid Prime Hunters 0.11m 0.57m Not tracked 0.68m

After the rebirth on the franchise on GCN, with quite good sales on a console with a small install base, you would think the franchise had the perfect opportunity to keep growing, but the opposite has happened.

Metroid Prime was the 7th best selling game on GCN, which is quite good, but it was also by far the best game on the entire platform, maybe with the exception of Resident Evil 4.

Metroid Prime 2 did only 1.29m, making it the 28th best selling GCN game, but the GCN was a dying platform by then, so that partly explains the weak result.

The surprising thing is that Metroid Prime 3 barely did any better than Prime 2! Only 1.47m sales, the 25th best selling game on the platform! The game was barely advertised of course, and the advertisement campaign for some stupid reason was directed at the casuals which I think hurt sales a lot. Casuals will never play Metroid.

1.47m isolated is a respectable number, but as Metroid is the 3rd most respected Nintendo franchise after Mario and Zelda, this is quite weak, especially considering the development costs of the Metroid games. The big question is will Nintendo keep putting resources into developing great Metroid games when the sales are so low compared to their other franchises?

What can be done to get the Metroid sales up where they belong?

Plain and simple: It requires too much thinking of "hardcore" gamers.

It's the truth. I watch my friends try to play Metroid Prime, and within an hour they're usually stuck and give up. (Usually not even an hour.) The games require a certain persistance, and perception, that many gamers do not want to give. They'd rather run down linear corridors and blast shit to pieces without much more puzzling than inserting a found color key, or a gear to progress to the next stage.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

It's a kind of game that's difficult to recommend to others.

bdbdbd said:
@ksv: You didn't. But the GC games used the 60Hz mode for widescreen. Some games had 60Hz locked to widescreen and in some games you still could switch between the modes. Although, i can't recall how it was with WW.
So, your old TV was advanced enough to have a scaler to downscale the image to letterbox.

I am sorry, but you are just plain wrong. Very few Gamecube games had a widescreen mode (the only ones I can recall right now are Monkey Ball 2, Eternal Darkness, Soul Calibur 2 and F-Zero GX) but a lot of quality games had 60 Hz option. Off the top of my head a few 60 Hz games that were 4:3 only:

Super Smash Bros Melee, Zelda Windwaker, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Monkey Ball 1, Rogue Squadron 2, Crazy Taxi, Metroid Prime 1, Metroid Prime 2 (60 Hz only), Zelda Collector's Edition (60 Hz only), Resident Evil 4 (the widescreen on RE4 was letterboxed on Gamecube).

60 Hz option has nothing to with widescreen, although I know some (bad) PAL widescreen tvs forces the tv into 16:9 mode when it gets a 60 Hz signal.

Only thing you are right about is that you need a scaler on a 4:3 TV to get the games with 16:9 mode to display correctly when they are set to 16:9.

@ksv: No. The 60Hz itself doesn't have anything to do widescreen. Only that stretching the image to 576i widescreen caused the image quality to go worse, due to having frickering pixels around the screen and the 60Hz refreshment rate lessen the flicker (the widescreen wasn't actual widescreen in the sense of adding resolution, but to fit horizontally more stuff into the same image so it fits the 16:9 screen).
So yes, most of the games could be viewed in widescreen, but it wasn't "real" widescreen by resolution.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.