By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are Metroid franchise sales so low? How can the franchise grow?

Somebody already said more Zero Suit Samus. I agree. Also, Nintendo need to let their imaginations run wild. All kind of high tech gadgets should be introduced. Steal the Portal Gun from Portal. Use that to solve some puzzles. Give Samus the power of temporary flight. Toss in a few vehicles. A few 3rd person style "Gears of War" style firefights. These should not replace the core gameplay. Just offer an added bonus. Include the exploration, but spice it up. Simply mind blowing graphics would help too. I love the entire Metroid series (check my collection). I want there to be more Metroid games.

Around the Network

I think Khuttra is right, the visors were a new hook in the Prime games (at least the first one). AS the series moved on, however, i saw a bunch of missed oppertunities. The visors in MP2 were useless, and it was even worse in MP3.

KylieDog said:
Better told story. MP3 added some voice chat (in a Nintendo game?? WTF!) but Samus herself was still silent.

They need make the characters fuller, and add more cutscenes and flashy stuff. Simple stuff like cutscenes with action sequences pleases the masses, look at MGS4.

The gameplay needs stay the same though, is why the Metroid games are great.

To the bolded: no. The storytelling in Prime, where it was primarily through logs found with the visor, was perfect.

I think Samus should stay silent. I do think her voice in Brawl suit her though(ZSS taunts).

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Khuutra said:
KylieDog said:
Better told story. MP3 added some voice chat (in a Nintendo game?? WTF!) but Samus herself was still silent.

They need make the characters fuller, and add more cutscenes and flashy stuff. Simple stuff like cutscenes with action sequences pleases the masses, look at MGS4.

To the bolded: no. The storytelling in Prime, where it was primarily through logs found with the visor, was perfect.

i agree it's one of the things that i loved about the prime games

Around the Network

simple...more publicity

come on Nintendo this is one of your biggest franchises show her the love she deserves.

Khuutra said:
KylieDog said:

On a game design level, I totally agree with Khuutra.

On a business level, I can see where something like this would help sell to the masses, but would they sell enough extra units to make up the extra cost for all those cinematics?  I'm doubtful.

Let's look back to the point of the OP: why doesn't this series sell like Mario or Zelda?  I don't think people are buying Mario and Zelda for the MGS4-quality cutscenes and storyline.

I agree with requests for more Zero Suit Samus.  It's total exploitation, but it would probably sell some copies without having to change the core game design or the budget very much.  Maybe it's time for a new 2D Metroid?  Looking at the OP, maybe Fusion didn't do that well, but I still can't help but think that a "big-budget" 2D game with 3D graphics might sell better.

B/C majority of wii owners are soccer moms and your long lost relatives, no pun intended. Happy New Year!

The series is very good as it is. That's why prime is the highest rated game on the gamecube. They just need to advertise the game more and continue down the path they are going with it. Add more things like CG cutscenes, better AI, and more weapon types.

A number of reasons I think.... MP3 was a great game but in many ways felt a bit archaic in my opinion. Plus the Metroid series is somewhat niche A few changes for the next game that could help it out a bit.... I hope I don't get purest of this series mad but just a few ideas:

1) Give Samus a voice, this was a huge shortcoming imo.

2) Have some sort of multi-player, four player split screen with online.... come on Nintendo this would make shooters a heck of a lot more popular on Wii (adding this wouldn't have to take away from the single player mode).

3) Give the game a more consistent graphics bump. MP3 was a mixed bag in terms of graphics for me. Some parts looked amazing, other parts looked really bland with flat, dull color and textures. The poly-count on some environments and creatures seemed low.

4) Destructible environments, or semi-destructible.

5) Better animations, a lot of the animations just seemed really stiff. This made shooting an enemy not as satisfying as it could of been...

6) Better navigation system... Am I the only one who hated the mapping system used in this game?

Over all MP3 was a great game but for me it could of been more. Just my personal opinion though