By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Madden 08 reviews

FishyJoe said:
In the USA article, they mention that the PS3 version slowness actually causes gameplay to suffer. They said there is a half second delay between pressing the button and getting the ball. So it's not just about the visual appearance, but gameplay as well.

I think they are right. Have you ever tried to play a FPS with low framerates? You get a very annoting delay between input and movement.

In PC games, you can lower the buffered frames to reduce this... sure, you will get lower overall framerates, but at least you don't have the delay...

But here, you have the delay and the framerate issue.

It's funny how the fanboys get all angry because the Wii version get a relatively better score than the PS3 version. Obviously, the graphics score is for what is expected in the console... or do you want reviewers to compare Wii's motion controller with PS3's and 360's, and reflect it in the review? 

Around the Network

Yes ,I would like reviewers to compare the accuracy difference between the pad and the Wiimote ,and have the Wiimote totally trashed .

Diomedes1976 said:
Yes ,I would like reviewers to compare the accuracy difference between the pad and the Wiimote ,and have the Wiimote totally trashed .

or, more likely totally vindicated that the wiimote is much better without the half second delay when passwing, etc...  especially when you include sound feedback from the wiimote, and other factor that improve the overall experience and gameplay.

Also, the wii isn't attempting to do HD, so it has a lot less graphics to process.  I would rather have a smooth  frame rate at normal TV resolution than a jerky high def experience.

Well ,having read everything you posted ....

We have two options ...

One ,compare the graphics ,sound etc only between the games appeared for the same plattform .So ,Madden on the 360 would only be comparable to Maden 05 and Madden 06 and NcAA games on the 360 .The same for the PS3 ,DS ,Wii ,PSP etc .Then the PS3 version cant be critized that way because at least it is best than last year edition wich scored higher .Then the Wii version has a fair score ,the same with all the others .Everything all right then ,but the PS3 version being critized for running at less FPS is just wrong .The game should be judged after the PS3 football games ,its irrelevant if there is another game in another plattform wich runs better .

Two ,make direct comparisions between versions .To keep things fair we should compare 360 and PS3 versions ,Wii and PS2 versions and DS and PSP versions .If they insist to compare the Wii version to the 360/PS3 version it should be slaughtered in the graphics/sound departments .

I see a bad trend here ,there are a lot of multipattform games on the Wii and PS3 and specially in the DS and PSP that the PSP version is critized for some graphical reason and then the DS version with way worse graphics receives a higher graphical rating as it just "doesnt have to compare " .This is getting ridiculous .

Diomedes1976 said:
...but the PS3 version being critized for running at less FPS is just wrong .

I don't think its wrong. When you are paying for the supposed most powerful console of this generation, you at least want the game to run at the same frame-rate than the other versions.

Around the Network

I agree it's impossible to compare a Wii game with a PS3 or 360 game, but a good idea might be doing a comparison chart for new buyers. I know I will buy the 360 version because on my personal expirience I prefer 360 games over Wii games, but someone that is about to buy a console might not know what are the pros and cons of the console, so a chart might be good for them.

How many people do you think are completely in the dark about what console does what, which is more powerful, which console has what features and reads only game reviews?

-edit-

And for what I'm sure isn't the last time, it's not that the framerate is capped at 30FPS, it's that it's capped at 30FPS and still has framerate issues beyond that.

Now, once again:

Diomedes1976 said:

Two ,make direct comparisions between versions .To keep things fair we should compare 360 and PS3 versions ,Wii and PS2 versions and DS and PSP versions .If they insist to compare the Wii version to the 360/PS3 version it should be slaughtered in the graphics/sound departments .

Personally, I would have no problem directly comparing wii with the ps3 and 360. Many reviews did it with Harry Potter, and gave wii the best overall score, even though they gave others a higher score for the graphics.  Where do you get that the PS3 has better sound???  Perhaps in theory it could have if that's all it did was audio, but you need to look at the total experience.  From what I can tell of the specs, the wii has hardware to handle it without bogging down the main CPU, and the PS3 needs to tie up it's cell processors to handle the audio.  Maybe that's part of the problem with the PS3, there just isn't enough processing left for video after it plays sound at the same time?

Seriously, I don't understand these baseless comparisons of PS3 sound is > wii sound.  Maybe it's so, but please site a reference or you just sound like a disgruntled fanboy.

sinha said:
Bodhesatva said:

You've already made this point three times now, and we've already responded at least five times.

The Maddens are not competing against each other, they are competing against other games on the same console. You don't make up the rules of review, Sinha. That is how it's done. The suggestion that people will be confused by the Wii/PS3 scores is exactly the same as saying people will be confused by a critic rating a Burger Joint above a Fancy Restaraunt.

The goal of game reviews is not -- and should not be -- to decide which console to buy for any reader. The goal is to give a prospective purchaser of the game an idea of its value relative to other products in that same market.

The three Madden games are not competing against each other??

They're competing against other games on the same console?? So Madden Wii is competing against Zelda and Wii Sports? Madden 360 is competing against Gears of War and Dead Rising? Madden PS3 is competing against Motorstorm and Resistance?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. This is precisely and entirely correct.

Yes. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Well this just further shows that general one size fits all reviews don't work much anymore. You have to use your own understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of each system when deciding how to weight the reviews. The graphics and sound comparisons between the Wii and PS3 versions are perfect examples of this.

On graphics, as so many others have noted it is compared to games on the same system. Otherwise no Wii game could ever get above 5-7 on graphics and no PS3 game would fall below a 9. Even so, think of the PS3/Wii comparison as running both in 480i as the vast majority of people using both systems are. The PS3 version would look some degree better (how much seems to vary by person depending on their opinion towards the Wii) but it is running at only half the frame rate. In that situation it is reasonable that the Wii version would be rated higher. However, if you're an ueber-gamer with the proper TV and equipment to run the PS3 at max resolution then maybe even with the frame rate issues it would rate better (I haven't played the PS3 version so I don't know how much of a problem it really is).

Sound would be similar to graphics. On a regular TV, that again is the type of sound the vast majority of people are usuing, the PS3 version won't sound that much better than the Wii version. This time though the Wii adds the advantage of the controller speaker, which is a neat if not deal sealing feature. Again to this average gamer the Wii could be reasonably rated better on sound. Also again, if you're an ueber-gamer with the equipment and knowledge to use the PS3's greater sound then obviously the PS3 is the better of the two.

You know what type of gamer you are, but as the NPD survey showed most people have no clue what HD or 5.1 is, whether their system has it, or how to set it up if they did know about them. To the extent that reviews are for the greatest audience then it seems to be a fair rating between the PS3 and Wii. Of course reviews are really for the hard core owners of each system so they are comparisons between games on the same system. The 360 and PS3 reviews are only comparable since at the moment both systems basically have the same graphics and sound overall.