By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Madden 08 reviews

it sounds like the 360 version is best for hardcore madden gamers, but the wii version is best for casual madden gamers.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

hehe. I feel sorry for the guys at IGN (or any videogame review site) checking their email to find thousands of angry emails "Why did the different versions get different scores from different people on different systems!!!! This is stupid!"

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

sinha said:
Yes different reviewers, wow, fine. But to quote shams: Don't forget about "relative expectations".

But is that really fair? It's all one game, Madden 08, and many people will read these reviews before deciding which version of Madden to buy (and perhaps base which console to buy this generation on these reviews, in the case of many Madden-only people).

As shams stated, the Wii version is being graded with lower expectations than the other versions, it is being graded against other Wii games not against the PS3 and 360 versions of the same game. This seems likely based on the Presentation and Sound scores.

Of course its reasonable!

The DS version could rock - yet you want to give the "graphics 1/10", because its so far below a PS3?

And what if there is an uber-PC version that blows the PS3/360 out of the water? Do those versions now get a "4/10", and everything else gets a "1/10"??

Makes perfect sense to me.

The ONLY people who are annoyed at this, are fanboys who are pissed-off that a Wii title scored higher for gfx than a PS3 title! (and I'm not talking about you sinha ;).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Does the PS3/360 have as good of sound as the wii? ie: Can it send sound out each controller in addition to the TV like the wii? Those types of things would add to sound and presentation scores.  It's funny how some people are in utter denial that a game could be better on the wii than another console.

There is no excuse for scoring the graphics higher on the Wii than PS3. That's retarded. If you want to go ahead and admit that the Wii version is being compared only to the PS2 version, then fine, but to compare all 3 "next gen" consoles like most people will do, to screw the PS3 version is just stupid.

Shams, comparing handhelds to consoles is a different thing entirely. Despite the Wii's graphical abilities, people compare the Wii directly to the 360 and PS3. There is no excuse for not having the same reviewer and reviewing at least the graphical capablities fairly.

If I had both a 360 and Wii, wouldn't I want to know how the graphics compare so I know which console to get it for? Yes. If I also had a handheld...well, I wouldnt play sports game on it most likely...but if I did, that's a different market.

I want to see the graphical scores for the PSP, DS, and PS2 versions. Considering the "expectations" I expect them to all score 9s if it looks better than last year, and I just know the DS will have a better graphics score than the PSP...that just makes sense...right?

Around the Network

shams said:
sinha said:
Yes different reviewers, wow, fine. But to quote shams: Don't forget about "relative expectations".

But is that really fair? It's all one game, Madden 08, and many people will read these reviews before deciding which version of Madden to buy (and perhaps base which console to buy this generation on these reviews, in the case of many Madden-only people).

As shams stated, the Wii version is being graded with lower expectations than the other versions, it is being graded against other Wii games not against the PS3 and 360 versions of the same game. This seems likely based on the Presentation and Sound scores.

The DS version could rock - yet you want to give the "graphics 1/10", because its so far below a PS3?

And what if there is an uber-PC version that blows the PS3/360 out of the water? Do those versions now get a "4/10", and everything else gets a "1/10"??

The ONLY people who are annoyed at this, are fanboys who are pissed-off that a Wii title scored higher for gfx than a PS3 title! (and I'm not talking about you sinha ;).

The PC and DS are not comparable to the three consoles, you must realize this (hint: look at the front page of this site). As I already said, people looking to buy a console to play Madden will be choosing between the Wii, 360 and PS3, and reading the Madden reviews for those three versions of the game.

Because apparently many people (but not you) are under the mistaken impression that the Wii is also a "next-gen console" and in competition with the PS3 and 360, not in competition with the PS2.

In fact in an earlier comment in this thread you say: "The Wii/PS3 are not directly competing with each other."

You're a mod, right? Perhaps Vgchartz should change their front page design to reflect this.

I'm not a Sony fanboy, I don't own a PS3, PS2, PS1 or PSP, and never have.

But:

-The Wii gets multiplatform games that are Wii-PS2 games, and very few multiplatform games that are Wii-PS3-360. Apparently even in the rare cases when it does (like Madden 08) the Wii's competition is the PS2 and not the superior 360 or PS3 versions, so it shouldn't be judged against those.

-The PS3 and 360 get a large number of multiplatform games that the Wii doesn't get, and will never get because it's not as powerful as the other two. Games that are regularly dismissed in various forum discussions with a "but that's multiplatform so it doesn't count." No, they are dual-platform.

And

-The PS2 continues to sell both hardware and software.

So why not list PS2 hardware sales on the Vgchartz front page? That seems to be what the Wii is competing against.

The "chartz" are currently divided up: Wii/360/PS3 and DS/PSP.

Perhaps that should be: 360/PS3, Wii/PS2, and DS/PSP.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

sinha said:

shams said:
sinha said:

The PC and DS are not comparable to the three consoles, you must realize this. As I already said, people looking to buy a console to play Madden will be choosing between the Wii, 360 and PS3, and reading the Madden reviews for those three versions of the game.

Because apparently some people (but not you) might be under the mistaken impression that the Wii is also a "next-gen console" and in competition with the PS3 and 360, not in competition with the PS2.

In fact in an earlier comment in this thread you say: "The Wii/PS3 are not directly competing with each other."

You're a mod, right? Perhaps Vgchartz should change their front page design to reflect this.

But:

-The Wii gets multiplatform games that are Wii-PS2 games, and very few multiplatform games that are Wii-PS3-360. Apparently even in the rare cases when it does (like Madden 08) the Wii's competition is the PS2 and not the superior 360 or PS3 versions, so it shouldn't be judged against those.

-The PS3 and 360 get a large number of multiplatform games that the Wii doesn't get, and will never get because it's not as powerful as the other two.

And

So why not list PS2 hardware sales on the Vgchartz front page? That seems to be what the Wii is competing against.

Please, Sinha, you've been using this logic for some time now. "Next gen" is an artificial construct applied by marketing people and adopted by all-to-eager consumers. Your suggestion that "Next gen" has some tangible value and that every "next gen" system should be judged on an identical basis is absurd: in reality, the only thing "next gen" is decided by is marketing, and that's what separates the now-dying PS2 from the Wii, 360 and PS3. The PS2's support (from both first and third party) is drying up rapidly; the Wii's support is increasing at a similar pace, and the 360 and PS3 as well. Marketing and support is what makes something Next gen, not graphics. If graphics were the concern, then the 360, PS3 and Wii would already be last gen, as high end PCs have already well outstripped them; two years ago, was the PS2 "last, last gen" because high end PCs had profoundly outstripped it? No, because it still saw significant support. 

I definitely wouldn't call you a PS fanboy, Sinha -- your interest in the PS3 seems tepid, at best. You are, however, a rather big fan of the 360, and you have shown, since your first post here, a rather rabid dislike of the Wii: you have even gone so far now as to suggest that it should be removed from the front page of VGChartz. Given the revolutionary controller, I personally believe that the Wii is significantly more "next gen" than the 360 or PS3, but you won't see me complaining about their place on the main page.

http://www.vgchartz.com/

Those are the "next gen" systems, and within a few weeks, the Wii will have sold more than any other. You should learn to accept this.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

A whole point for frame rate is too much .Other mags arent dumbing it down so much .Guess the review fell in one of the few rabid anti-PS3 reviewers at IGN .The Wii score puzzles me as well ,its clear the game is worse than the PS3 and 360 version but scores higher because "its no competency " .The game cost about the same ,so review it accordingly !.As for the frame rate ,the 360 version of last year did run at 30fps and it still got a 8.7 like right now .

Diomedes1976 said:
A whole point for frame rate is too much .Other mags arent dumbing it down so much .Guess the review fell in one of the few rabid anti-PS3 reviewers at IGN .The Wii score puzzles me as well ,its clear the game is worse than the PS3 and 360 version but scores higher because "its no competency " .The game cost about the same ,so review it accordingly !.As for the frame rate ,the 360 version of last year did run at 30fps and it still got a 8.7 like right now .

I agree, that is too much Diomedes. Just a .5 deduction to imply "Yes, it's ever so slightly worse than what the PS3 should be capable of" would be enough.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
sinha said:

The PC and DS are not comparable to the three consoles, you must realize this. As I already said, people looking to buy a console to play Madden will be choosing between the Wii, 360 and PS3, and reading the Madden reviews for those three versions of the game.

Because apparently some people (but not you) might be under the mistaken impression that the Wii is also a "next-gen console" and in competition with the PS3 and 360, not in competition with the PS2.

But:

-The PS3 and 360 get a large number of multiplatform games that the Wii doesn't get, and will never get because it's not as powerful as the other two.

And

Please, Sinha, you've been using this logic for some time now. You could also say that the Wii is competing against nothing, because nothing has anything resembling its control scheme. You also somehow manage to completely discard the PC as "completely different," despite the fact that a great deal of 360/PS3 games are really PC/360/PS3 games; then you go on to discard the Wii because it often doesn't share multi-plats with 360/PS3. If you're going to discard the Wii because it does not have multi-plats, shouldn't you include the PC based on that same reasoning? In that case, shouldn't the 360/PS3 constantly be chided for having inferior graphical power?

The PS2 comparison is obviously invalid. The question of generation really isn't one of graphical -- or controller -- flexibility, it is of support. The PS2 is a system that is no longer receiving much marketing push (if any at all), the software support from first party development is almost completely gone, support from third parties is drying up, and the companies behind the system are deliberately killing it in order to promote their new machine. The Wii is new, seeing increasing support from both first and third party developers, and has a massive marketing push behind it. If this were a matter of graphics, then the 360, PS3 and Wii would all be last gen by now: high end PCs are already well beyond them in graphical capacity.

Every system should be graded on its own capabilities. I'm pretty sure you'd be livid if I reviewed every 360 game with "Sure, the graphics are good, but where are the motion controls? This is terrible."

I definitely wouldn't call you a PS fanboy, Sinha -- your interest in the PS3 seems tepid, at best. You are, however, a rather big fan of the 360, and you have shown, since your first post here, a rather rabid dislike of the Wii: you have even gone so far now as to suggest that it should be removed from the front page of VGChartz. I personally believe that the Wii is significantly more "next gen" than the 360 or PS3, but you won't see me complaining about their place on the main page.

http://www.vgchartz.com/

Those are the next gen systems, and within a few weeks, the Wii will have sold more than any other. You should learn to accept this.

Well you made one mistake: I never said the Wii should be removed from the front page of Vgchartz. Your accusation is not supported by anything I have written either in this thread or anywhere else, it is a complete fabrication by you and you should be more careful in the future before spreading misinformation about others in a public forum and harming your own credibility.

I said the PS2 should be added to the front page of Vgchartz as long as it is still selling a significant amount of hardware and software (as opposed to Xbox/GC), and still getting brand new PS2 / Wii type games. Support may be "drying up" as you say, but it obviously has not yet dried up (GoW2, and as we'll soon see with Madden sales).

As far as the Wii is concerned, I made the above statements based on sham's quote "The Wii/PS3 are not directly competing with each other." He is a mod, right? Perhaps you should take it up with him.

As far as your counterpoint about the PC, I actually think that makes sense. There are certain multiplatform games that are for 360 and PS3 and also PC, for example many FPS and RTS games, and those console versions should be judged against how those games look and how those games play on the PC. And often times they do both far better on the PC. And often times people realize this and choose to buy those games on the PC rather than the 360 or PS3. This happens all the time with multiplatform FPS and RTS games.

You present that like it's some terrible result of following my rationale to its logical conclusion, but I think that's completely reasonable and that it happens all the time, and people choose to go with PC versions all the time if their PC can handle it. Of course there are still other differences between PC and PS2, in terms of whether Vgchartz should be listing hardware sales or not, it makes sense for PS2 at least at this point, in my opinion, for the reasons stated above.

And where people are choosing between the Wii, PS3 and 360 versions of a game, it makes sense for those games to be judged against each other, because that is the choice consumers have to make. And that should be the case even as it applies to the Wii controller. If Madden's Wii controller improves the quality of the game (whether it's motion controls or sound coming out of each controller), that should count for something, just as if the Wii version is inferior in another aspect, that should also be accounted for.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick