By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Madden 08 reviews

I'm disappointed that the friend-code-less Wii online play is apparently a bit glitchy and laggy - I'd like to think it's first-week overload, but presumably not many people were playing the game when IGN was working on the review. Mario Strikers Charged plays really smoothly online now that things have calmed down a bit (and now that I've replaced my high-latency satellite internet connection with land-based cable!)

Around the Network

It seems like a lot to take off a whole point just because of frame rate. Was it the same reviewer doing both?

And I'm surprised the Wii version was that high after the comment about being under embargo for reviews under 9 until the game's release.

DKII said:
It seems like a lot to take off a whole point just because of frame rate. Was it the same reviewer doing both?

And I'm surprised the Wii version was that high after the comment about being under embargo for reviews under 9 until the game's release.

Actually, the PS3 version got scored down on gameplay (360 - 9.0, PS3 - 8.0), graphics (9.0 vrs 6.5) & Lasting Appeal (8.5 vrs 8.0).

Its possible that a significantly worse frame rate could result in all these I suppose.

Same reviewer for 360 & PS3 versions - but not the Wii version. (this doesn't bother me - still say that people shouldn't really compare the Wii versions with the others).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Warlord_ said:

That is the dumbest stuff i have ever read from IGN, how can the wii get better presentation if its the same crap on all systems. Bashing the PS3 for 30FPS when the other versions of madden had 30FPS on the 360. I've seen the PS3 and 360 versions next to each other and their is little to no difference.

Plus they said the wii madden looks like the PS2 one then they give it a higher graphics score then the PS3 version is just stupid. Way to hate on Sony and show a true bias against the PS3.

Then they also give the wii the highest mark for Sound is just more crazy, Sound effects are by far better on the 360/PS3 version of the game, the wii just does not have the power to give the same level of sound effects as the other ones, this has been seen on every single game that has come out across the 3 systems.  look at CoD and other games.

different people review games for different systems. So you can't expect them to have the same standards. Otherwise they be one person.

Warlord_ said:

That is the dumbest stuff i have ever read from IGN, how can the wii get better presentation if its the same crap on all systems. Bashing the PS3 for 30FPS when the other versions of madden had 30FPS on the 360. I've seen the PS3 and 360 versions next to each other and their is little to no difference.

Plus they said the wii madden looks like the PS2 one then they give it a higher graphics score then the PS3 version is just stupid. Way to hate on Sony and show a true bias against the PS3.

Then they also give the wii the highest mark for Sound is just more crazy, Sound effects are by far better on the 360/PS3 version of the game, the wii just does not have the power to give the same level of sound effects as the other ones, this has been seen on every single game that has come out across the 3 systems. look at CoD and other games.

The Wii adds extra modes by including a lot of multiplayer stuff like minigames that neither the PS3 or 360 version have. By realizing they can't compete graphically, they added material to make a better presentation of the game itself. The graphics of the other systems will be rated different because they claim to be much more. The 360 sounds like its overall a decent game graphically for a 360. The PS3 not so much so it's another game that seems to fall short of graphic expectations.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Around the Network

Yea shams the comments makes it look like all three of those categories got docked points just for the frame rate, which by all other accounts isn't even noticeable.

There are a few things I don't understand about the IGN scores:

Wii: 8.5 Presentation
The Madden franchise has always been a powerhouse of football goodness, and this is no different. Updated rosters, new modes, clean interface, team-based playbooks, and more.

360 / PS3: 7.0 Presentation
Once a strength of the franchise, Madden 08 falls flat in terms of offering the feel of a televised NFL game. What's the point in having the ESPN license if it's barely used?

- Do the 360 and PS3 have "updated rosters, new modes, clean interface, team-based playbooks, and more" or not? Does the Wii version feel more like a televised NFL game, and why? Does the Wii "use the ESPN license" more than the 360 and PS3 versions?

Wii: 8.5 Sound
Stronger than last year, but just barely. The soundtrack offers over 40 tunes, and it’s a pretty solid mix of rock, rap, and punk. Expected Wii-mote audio still remains too.

360 / PS3: 7.5 Sound

The radio play-by-play is disappointing. There's some good smack talk on the field and you can really hear the crunch of a big hit. The crowd AI is often confused.

- Do the 360 and PS3 versions also offer over 40 tunes? Does the Wii version have different radio play-by-play and different crowd AI than the other two?

Wii: 7.0 Graphics
It’s a slight bump from last year, but still not nearly up to par. Madden looks like a PS2 game with a few improvements, rather than a true Wii experience.

PS3: 6.5 Graphics
The details are good, but Madden is ugly in motion. It's optimistic to call this a game that runs at 30fps. The animations don't look that great because of the lower framerate.

- Does the PS3 version look like a PS2 game? What FPS does the Wii version run at?

Are these three games being judged on different scales for some reason?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Different reviewers. Wow.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Warlord_ said:

Then they also give the wii the highest mark for Sound is just more crazy, Sound effects are by far better on the 360/PS3 version of the game, the wii just does not have the power to give the same level of sound effects as the other ones, this has been seen on every single game that has come out across the 3 systems.  look at CoD and other games.

1.360 version is 60 fps, PS3 version is 30, that's a fact.

2.graphics are based on systems ability not comparing console to console.

3.PS2 version does not look as good as wii version

4.a different person reviewed them.

5.calm down

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Yes different reviewers, wow, fine. But to quote shams: Don't forget about "relative expectations".

But is that really fair? It's all one game, Madden 08, and many people will read these reviews before deciding which version of Madden to buy (and perhaps base which console to buy this generation on these reviews, in the case of many Madden-only people).

As shams stated, the Wii version is being graded with lower expectations than the other versions, it is being graded against other Wii games not against the PS3 and 360 versions of the same game. This seems likely based on the Presentation and Sound scores.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick