By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Madden 08 reviews

The comment by the graphics score for the PS3 seems to indicate that the PS3 version has trouble even maintaining 30fps and that the animations look bad as a result. That's not just a minor issue, that's a dealbreaker.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
Around the Network

USA Today: Xbox 360 version of 'Madden NFL 08' sticks it to PS3, Wii keeps it simple

X360: 9/10

PS3:  7/10

Wii: 8.5/10 

Non Sequor said:
The comment by the graphics score for the PS3 seems to indicate that the PS3 version has trouble even maintaining 30fps and that the animations look bad as a result. That's not just a minor issue, that's a dealbreaker.

Rawr, stole my point. Everyone seems to only be seeing the "a game that runs at 30fps" and ignoring the "It's optimistic to call this" that precedes it. That means frequently dipping below the 30fps bar. Speaking from personal experience as one who had to suffer with 2x and 1x frame rates (before I upgraded my graphics card), I know how much it can effect the graphics. It doesn't matter how well done the model is; if it's choppy, it just looks bad. As for the Wii getting better presentation score, I thought that was farely obvious. The Wii version has many, many more minigames than the other two versions of the game and a beginner's mode. Tell me how that doesn't merit a better score.

Some observations (then its bedtime for me...):

1/ PS3 & 360 are obviously competing directly against each other. That said, scores are never really relevant across consoles (unless it has been marked as such). In this case, I think it has - for the 360/PS3 anyway. Almost identical game, same reviewer, same scoring system.

2/ 360 has a superior Madden to the PS3 this year. Live with it everyone. Next year, PS3 hasits chance to shine.

3/ Its impossible to compare gfx on the Wii with those on 360/PS3 - and irrelevant to do so.

And finally... is this is the sort of "heated" discussion we get with a single game across all three consoles, based on a single set of reviews - god help us when Xmas hits...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Ok. If (since) the Wii version runs at 60, it propably have better animations than PS3 (i don't know does it).

@sinha: You don't seem to get it, even that it has been explained to you many times.
Software competes only software on the same platform, not software on other platforms. The 3 Maddens doesn't compete themselves by any means. If they would, there wouldn't be any sense to make 3 versions of it.

Rewievs aren't made for people, who don't own any consoles or fanboys to compare between consoles. It's for people who has the console and want's to compare between software.
I for example, don't care how the game looks on 360/PS3, but i might be interested how it looks on Wii (as a Wii owner).

Also by your logic, how they can give "only" something like 9 to 360 version, since it looks better than games which got 9 last gen or generation before that...

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

Ugh, you people make my head hurt.

I really don't understand how people get so pissy because they see a Wii score higher in the graphics department and are so worried that someone may buy the game for one system over the other because of so.

I have one bit advice for you people: STFUAJPG

if the game has problem maintaining a smooth animation flow for the game, then you MOST DEFINATELY have to mark down graphics due to this, the wii version and the 360 version don't have this issue the ps3 one does. period. end of story

now the severity of the penalty is in question.

is the deficiency of an almost game breaking manner? ie if it looks like crap during playing, will you want to play it.

if the graphics are great, the gameplay is great, but how said graphics plays on the system is crap, then that game is going to score WORSE than the same game with tonded down graphics but Very good FPS.

In the USA article, they mention that the PS3 version slowness actually causes gameplay to suffer. They said there is a half second delay between pressing the button and getting the ball. So it's not just about the visual appearance, but gameplay as well.

Ouch.

What the hell is going on with the PS3 version? What went wrong in development?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:
Ouch.

What the hell is going on with the PS3 version? What went wrong in development?

MS paid them to make a crappy game ;)

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.