By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Madden 08 reviews

Reviews were up so I thought I would post them. Sorry if there is another thread similar to this one.

Wii

IGN 8.5

http://wii.ign.com/articles/812/812653p1.html

1up 9.0

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3161871

Gamespot 8.5

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/madden08/review.html?sid=6176602

PS3

Gamespot 8.5

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/madden08/review.html?sid=6176601

Around the Network

Here are some more for the 360 version:

Yahoo Games 5 out of 5
Gametrailers 9.0
TeamXbox 9.0
GameDaily 9.0

I still haven't decide which version to get. I am in no rush to get the game. Both issues that I considered big flaws on both the Wii and 360 versions of Madden 07 have been addressed so it makes my choice more difficult.

I like that reviewers are rating nuances between different console versions of the game.

It will be interesting to see how the different versions sell next week on the charts.  And if it results in a substantial difference of console sales because of it.  I doubt it, but you never know.

All the IGN reviews are up:

Wii - 8.5

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/812/812653p1.html

IGN Ratings for Madden NFL 08 (Wii)
Rating Description

out of 10 click here for ratings guide
8.5 Presentation
The Madden franchise has always been a powerhouse of football goodness, and this is no different. Updated rosters, new modes, clean interface, team-based playbooks, and more.
7.0 Graphics
It’s a slight bump from last year, but still not nearly up to par. Madden looks like a PS2 game with a few improvements, rather than a true Wii experience.
8.5 Sound
Stronger than last year, but just barely. The soundtrack offers over 40 tunes, and it’s a pretty solid mix of rock, rap, and punk. Expected Wii-mote audio still remains too.
8.5 Gameplay
The motions respond better, kicking is fixed, more options have been added, there are far more modes, but the game has some last-generation bugs and glitches still to be worked out.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
We wanted more multiplayer, and EA delivered, adding over 20 mini-games, online play (though it’s still sketchy), family play, a stronger single player mode, and more.
Great
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

360 - 8.7

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/812/812241p1.html

Rating Description
7.0 Presentation
Once a strength of the franchise, Madden 08 falls flat in terms of offering the feel of a televised NFL game. What's the point in having the ESPN license if it's barely used?
9.0 Graphics
The new animation system is outstanding and one of the best improvements to Madden in several years. The crowds and sidelines aren't up to par.
7.5 Sound
The radio play-by-play is disappointing. There's some good smack talk on the field and you can really hear the crunch of a big hit. The crowd AI is often confused.
9.0 Gameplay
Running, passing, fielding and defense are all top notch. One of Madden's strongest efforts is held back from true greatness by the sometimes suspect AI and the weak special teams play.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
There are lots of modes to keep you busy. It's too bad there are no online leagues, because otherwise, Madden would likely keep you playing into next year.
Great
OVERALL

PS3 - 7.7 (oops - not 7.5!)

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/812/812702p3.html

Rating Description
7.0 Presentation
Once a strength of the franchise, Madden 08 falls flat in terms of offering the feel of a televised NFL game. What's the point in having the ESPN license if it's barely used?
6.5 Graphics
The details are good, but Madden is ugly in motion. It's optimistic to call this a game that runs at 30fps. The animations don't look that great because of the lower framerate.
7.5 Sound
The radio play-by-play is disappointing. There's some good smack talk on the field and you can really hear the crunch of a big hit. The crowd AI is often confused.
8.0 Gameplay
In theory, this is one of the better Madden's. But the framerate issues hinder the gameplay a bit, keeping PS3 owners from experiencing all of the good things Tiburon added this year.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
There are lots of modes to keep you busy. It's too bad there are no online leagues (or a worthy framerate), because otherwise, Madden would likely keep you playing into next year.
Good
OVERALL

Undoubtably, the talking point will be the PS3 frame rate. Giving it a lower gfx score than the Wii? Harsh...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

wow, i really wasnt expecting that fromthe ign ps3 madden score. i thought it would be equal to wii like last time... not a whole entire point behind it.

Switch Friend Code - 3664 - 9964 - 9777

Smash Ultimate Alias - Happy Lion

Mains: Donkey Kong, King K. Rool, Diddy Kong

LOL that won't be helping Darc requiem

That is the dumbest stuff i have ever read from IGN, how can the wii get better presentation if its the same crap on all systems. Bashing the PS3 for 30FPS when the other versions of madden had 30FPS on the 360. I've seen the PS3 and 360 versions next to each other and their is little to no difference.

Plus they said the wii madden looks like the PS2 one then they give it a higher graphics score then the PS3 version is just stupid. Way to hate on Sony and show a true bias against the PS3.

Then they also give the wii the highest mark for Sound is just more crazy, Sound effects are by far better on the 360/PS3 version of the game, the wii just does not have the power to give the same level of sound effects as the other ones, this has been seen on every single game that has come out across the 3 systems.  look at CoD and other games.

The Wii version has better sound and presentation than the 360 one? What's with IGN? O_o

Warlord_ said:

That is the dumbest stuff i have ever read from IGN, how can the wii get better presentation if its the same crap on all systems. Bashing the PS3 for 30FPS when the other versions of madden had 30FPS on the 360. I've seen the PS3 and 360 versions next to each other and their is little to no difference.

Plus they said the wii madden looks like the PS2 one then they give it a higher graphics score then the PS3 version is just stupid. Way to hate on Sony and show a true bias against the PS3.

Then they also give the wii the highest mark for Sound is just more crazy, Sound effects are by far better on the 360/PS3 version of the game, the wii just does not have the power to give the same level of sound effects as the other ones, this has been seen on every single game that has come out across the 3 systems. look at CoD and other games.

Don't forget about "relative expectations". The Wii/PS3 are not directly competing with each other.

If sound on the Wii is "excellent" for a Wii title, but yet sound for the PS3 is "poor" for a PS3 title - that doesn't mean the Wii sounds better than the PS3.

Its probably only fair to compare the PS3 review with the 360 one.

(its also possible different teams/companies did the 360/PS3... and Wii versions. So its more than possible the Wii one did sound better than the 360 team).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099