By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do anyone still believe Wii is a fad?

Like I've said before, the only fad is calling the Wii a fad.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Astrodust said:
The Wii's lifecycle should be at least 5 years which is acceptable in terms of a console. I mean even though the Saturn and Gamecube didn't exactly have long lifespans, they aren't really viewed as fads. They were legitimate systems. The 3D0 on the other hand, I can't say the same thing for.

I agree about this. It should last for at least 5 years, probably longer in my opinion. Even if sales were to slow down (which they eventually will) I think that the point when you could call Wii a fad has long since passed. I think the reason many continued to see Wii this way was because it symbolised something intirely new to the videogamingworld which left some confused and other flat out disliked the concept and thus hoped for it´s demise. The fact that it has been so highly succesfull only adds fuel to the anger of some.

leo-j said:
NJ5 said:
It's a fad like the PS2 was.

It will end in 4-8 years. Kind of a "10-year plan", only this one will actually work.

Too bad the ps2 didnt end in 4-8 years =)

So what are you going to say when the Wii outsells the PS2?  You know that it's inevitable right? 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

leo-j said:
NJ5 said:
It's a fad like the PS2 was.

It will end in 4-8 years. Kind of a "10-year plan", only this one will actually work.

Too bad the ps2 didnt end in 4-8 years =)

The Wii was launched more than two years ago, so 4-8 years from now becomes 6-10+ years total. The PS2 is still inside that range.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

amp316 said:
samus aran rules said:
amp316 said:
Does anybody believe that I am seeing this same exact thread for the 5,369,087th time?

Anyone? Anyone?

Sorry about that. I haven´t seen one for a while now and I thought it fitting to bring up the subject again since we´ve entered a new year and can look back with a perspective now with more than two full years of Wii/PS3 in the market.

Also if you don´t like the subject in this thread you can always choose to ignore it?

You're right. My apologies.  It's just that this subject has been beaten to death since the Wii has been released. 

Yes.  I do think that some people still think that the Wii is a fad.  In a sense it is.  It won't be popular ten years from now.  It will be like disco.

It´s cool. And I like your comparision about Wii being like disco. I still love disco.

Around the Network

Comparing Wii to Disco as a means to equate it being a fad is flawed because all consoles eventually lose their market presence and popularity.

Viper1 said:
Comparing Wii to Disco as a means to equate it being a fad is flawed because all consoles eventually lose their market presence and popularity.

How so?  Some people still play retro games and some people still listen to disco.

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
Viper1 said:

How so?  Some people still play retro games and some people still listen to disco.

My point is that it would mean every console is a fad because they eventually lose their market presence and popularity just as Disco did.

The fact some people still listen to Disco does not repeal Disco's label as a fad, does it?

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Wii, video game system of video game systems:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

So they are both fads? Hmmmm.

Agree to disagree.