By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do anyone still believe Wii is a fad?

My question is: Do anyone still believe the Wii is a fad or are we in agreement that it is a salesphenomenon that is here to stay?

We have to return back to end of 2006. Nintendo released the previously named "revolution" as the Nintendo Wii system with much buzz and hype. It was an instant succes globally selling out everywhere. Audiences clearly were seeking a new gameplaywise experience and Wii catered to that (as had the Nintendo DS before it). BUT...

Despite this instant succes many argued that Wii was a fad. Not only gamers but also markinganalysts like Pachter. These were common claims:

1. Wii was a fad because the "newness" and the hype of the motionsensitive controller would wear out.

2. Wii was a fad because the audience would value the impressive graphics of the HD consoles higher as time went by.

3. Wii was a fad because it sold only because of the lower price. Once the rivals would lower thier prices they would win.

I think all of these three statements have been proven wrong over time. It has been over two years since the release of the three systems after all and Wii still see no signs of slowing down. People still want the "Wii experience" and despite better graphics the HD systems are being left in the dust saleswise. Number 3 has clearly been proven wrong since the 360 now can be found for a price lower than the Wii.

So what do you think? Are there still a few resistant claiming the Wii is a fad? Of course that depends on how you define a fad but what I mean here is do you still think the Wii will slow down in sales significantly in a near future? Are Wii going the have a stellar 2009 or will the HD consoles even catch up perhaps? I wonder also why did many want to see Wii as a failure and why were they so resistant in admitting the Wiisucces?

Discuss

Around the Network

Heck, I still think Ipod is a fad, less feature, more restrictive, must use ITune, more expensive, bad built-quality, slight improvement every year just to get people to buy it again....

it's just one of those fad that doesn't fade..... for now

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

FAD: a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., esp. one followed enthusiastically by a group -- dictionary.com

Thus, anyone who says it is a fad that does not fade is contradicting themselves.

The Wii is not trying to be the same as the other two consoles. And a lot of people recognize that and accept it for what it is and have fun.

Anyone still thinking the Wii will fade because it is a fad is delusional.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Yes ninty will halt production by q4 '09 of both the Wii & the ds. MS will file for bankrupcy and Sony will report record revenues ,  possibly  in the trillions.

mike_intellivision said:
FAD: a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., esp. one followed enthusiastically by a group -- dictionary.com

Thus, anyone who says it is a fad that does not fade is contradicting themselves.

The Wii is not trying to be the same as the other two consoles. And a lot of people recognize that and accept it for what it is and have fun.

Anyone still thinking the Wii will fade because it is a fad is delusional.

Mike from Morgantown

It's just temporary.  People will stop playing it in 1000 years

Around the Network

I want new Zelda infos.

One_touch_KO said:
I want new Zelda infos.

I want that too, anyway 2009 looks like it will see a whole bunch of possibly great games realeased on Wii, further making the "fadclaims" even more unlikely. I haven´t gotten that many replies so I guess most think Wii is here to stay then?

In answer to your question: yes. There are still people who claim this. If the Wii is a fad, what does that make the console that's down YOY this season? That's what I'd like to know.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

It's a fad like the PS2 was.

It will end in 4-8 years. Kind of a "10-year plan", only this one will actually work.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I think the only people who thought Wii was a fad were:

- analysts who could not project without their historical data to work from. I look at them more as only "number crunchers" with very little heart for the industry

- fanboys of non-Wii systems who could not accept anyone except their prized company could offer the "next big thing". These people have lots of heart, but only for clones of themselves.