By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do anyone still believe Wii is a fad?

haxxiy said:
samus aran rules said:
haxxiy said:
Sephiroth357 said:
90% of people on this site are Nintendo fanboys.

Your wrong. Actually is about 50% Nintendo fanboys and 40% MS fanboys.

On-topic: I still believe that Wii will knock off earlier than its competition. Damn take a look at GBA sales chart, in the beginning it was as strong as PS2 but fell rapidly after DS release because DS everything GBA did and GBA graphics were already pretty bad at time even to a portable. Analog TV shutdown in Japan + X720 with X-Mote + PS3 long lifespan will do the job.

I´m a bit on the fence of the GBA/WII comparison. Shouldn´t Wii be compared to Ds if any? DS offered a whole new way of experiencing videogames just like Wii does.

And what do you mean when you first say that Wii will knock off earlier than it´s competition and then use Microsoft´s presumed followup X720 as case in point? Doesn´t that indecate that Microsoft would kill off 360 before Nintendo would do with Wii?

Yes, most likely X720 will come out end of 2010.  But X360 it will have (relatively, at least) better legs than the Wii because of a well-stabilished games base and the fact it is a HD console.

I´m sorry that doesn´t make any sense to me at all. If Microsoft were to release a new console before Nintendo did then I´m sure Wii would last much longer for a couple of reasons:

1. You point out Microsoft´s well-stabilished games base and that may well be true but I´m sure Wii´s games base will be awesome a couple of years from now, since they are market leader (2009 already looks like a stellar year with lots of support and this will likely accelerate) so I fail to see how that is a factor. Also Wii´s userbase will much likely be much bigger than the one on 360 if thrends continue.

2. Wii doesn´t rely on the technical stuff like the HD consoles do hence why I think that it will last long. If Microsoft would realese a followup before Nintendo did than 360 would be outdated fast in my opinion.

Around the Network

I knew a guy who thought it was a fad. He was also stupid. Coincidence?

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Viper1 said:
Like I've said before, the only fad is calling the Wii a fad.

Wii fad fad is fad?

I think the wii is a fad. My In Laws play it about one per month. Now 1 per month on a console = fad and the fact my In Laws play it = fad, fad and fad. The main games ppl enjoy is wii sports and wii fit. So imo it's a fad!

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

People who believe Wii is a fad are insecure people.

Around the Network

This site is unapoligetically Wii friendly. Fuck, its alot better than all the other Wii hate sites out there.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

RolStoppable said:
I haven't played my Wii all year, there just weren't any games which interested me. So yes, I think the Wii is a fad and I was dumb enough to buy into it.

Shame on you! No Mario Kart Wii today?

I sure do! It really, really is a fad.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Signature! Whoo! Don't press this link.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=1617593

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

fad –noun: a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., esp. one followed enthusiastically by a group.

Every popular video game console ever made is a fad. Nobody plays any of them forever.

RolStoppable said:
I haven't played my Wii all year, there just weren't any games which interested me. So yes, I think the Wii is a fad and I was dumb enough to buy into it.

Darn...I may have to take back my previous statement.  I think you're right.  The only game I've played on my Wii all year is Metroid Prime.  And that's a GC game!    

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light