By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 fall below 15% marketshare in Americas in 2009?

Good chance it may happen. Personally, I would rather see Sony making money with 10% marketshare, than loosing money with 20% marketshare. As long as SCEA keeps bringing all the amazing PS3 Exclusives developed around the world to America I am happy. I now have PS3/360/Wii and all I care about is profits, and games of the highest quality. If Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo can all stay healthy then the world is a better place.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
Oyvoyvoyv said:

I doubt it.

Generally, consoles see different kinds of sales in certain times of the year. The Ps3 has (both this year, and last year) proven that it isn't one of the consoles that take off like hell during christmas.

In Q4 (so far) it has had 13.95% market share.

But that doesn't really mean a lot. Sure, it means something, but you can't draw a trend with it.

In Q3, it had 21% market share.

Despite the changes that have happened lately, Q3 is still closer to what Q1 will be than Q4 is. Of course, as the Ps3 has started "failing" lately, it won't maintain 21% market share, but I'd say that sticking to ~ 17% (at least for Q1-Q3) seems more reasonable.

But as it has proven that Q4 is now equally large as Q1 + Q2 + Q3 combined (in Americas), the Ps3 could still dip to around 15-16%.

If I were to predict a trend, I would say that the Ps3 will sell about equal to its market share in Q1-Q3, and then drop slightly during the holidays. Repeat for next year.

So eventually, perhaps (heck, after X360 + Ps3 dies off, but Wii continues (something that is bound to happen) it will be likely that it drops to sub 15%). But I don't see it happening in 2009, and 2010 is also unlikely.

Thanks you actually took the time to reply. Do you maybe not think it sold well last Q1/2 because it had a new price? I remember it picking up steam in 07 holidays and outselling the 360.

I think it is almost a given with Americas buying heaps of Wiis and more XBox 360's these days will drive PS3 market share in Americas region down even further. No PS3 price cut and the gap between PS3 and the rest will widen over the course of 2009.

America region is the most price driven region of the three main regions. The average American loves value for money and at the moment Wii and XBox 360 offer much more value than the PS3 which has a higher price tag.

Im...the same?

I dont have any stealthed hate for the 360, its an HD console, therefore i like it.

Now i openly admit i hate the Wii for multiple reasons that i'd rather keep to my self.

But yeah, so huhhh?

I plan on getting the arcade when SO4 comes out. or soonner perhaps.

BUT, if you mean about that whole microsoft thing, then yes, i dislike microsoft alot but im fairly fond of there console. and yes thats very possible to do.

Truth be told, i dont like the PS3 nor the 360 from a certain point of view, i like the "GAMES" thats on them, that and of course there both HD which is awesome in my book because i'd admit with no doubt in my mind im a HD Fanboy when it comes to the current generation of consoles.

Also to futher prove my un-biasedness, i also like both handhelds this gen to the DS AND PSP. :P *cough* *cough*

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Im...the same?

I dont have any stealthed hate for the 360, its an HD console, therefore i like it.

Now i openly admit i hate the Wii for multiple reasons that i'd rather keep to my self.

But yeah, so huhhh?

I plan on getting the arcade when SO4 comes out. or soonner perhaps.

BUT, if you mean about that whole microsoft thing, then yes, i dislike microsoft alot but im fairly fond of there console. and yes thats very possible to do.

Truth be told, i dont like the PS3 nor the 360 from a certain point of view, i like the "GAMES" thats on them, that and of course there both HD which is awesome in my book because i'd admit with no doubt in my mind im a HD Fanboy when it comes to the current generation of consoles.

Also to futher prove my un-biasedness, i also like both handhelds this gen to the DS AND PSP. :P *cough* *cough*

Thats all very well, I'm buying a PS3 does that save my arse? no. Save it I'm not interested, I think your a Sony fanboy you think I'm an Xbot lets leave it at that.

Around the Network

I think the price cut will occur before it reaches 15%, maybe 16%. This will make the PS3 (and Wii) slowly start taking market share off the 360. PS3 sales will be slightly above normal in NA on Killzone 2 release week, but not more than an extra 30k. Gran Turismo 5 will give it a massive boost, however.

So to answer your question, no, I don't think the PS3 will fall below 15% marketshare in the Americas, not just in 2009, but at all.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

numonex said:

I think it is almost a given with Americas buying heaps of Wiis and more XBox 360's these days will drive PS3 market share in Americas region down even further. No PS3 price cut and the gap between PS3 and the rest will widen over the course of 2009.

America region is the most price driven region of the three main regions. The average American loves value for money and at the moment Wii and XBox 360 offer much more value than the PS3 which has a higher price tag.

Yup, America is hurting the most. This time last year things were nowhere near this bad, the PS3 had a fresh new price cut.

NOW, we have a recession, and 2 consoles at a low price, it is crazy to think the PS3 can compete with that at this time.

I don't want PS3 sales to slow down as much as they are/are going to. People can think I'm biased but ultimately I would like it if every console sold the same.

Kantor said:
I think the price cut will occur before it reaches 15%, maybe 16%. This will make the PS3 (and Wii) slowly start taking market share off the 360. PS3 sales will be slightly above normal in NA on Killzone 2 release week, but not more than an extra 30k. Gran Turismo 5 will give it a massive boost, however.

So to answer your question, no, I don't think the PS3 will fall below 15% marketshare in the Americas, not just in 2009, but at all.

I agree a pricecut would give Sony a much needed boost, if I believed Sony could cut the price of the PS3 then I woulnd't of even made this thread, they are home and dry (somewhat) but I just don't think they can. I might be prooved wrong on this. If I am it just means I get my PS3 sooner rather than later.

@seece- whoa...wtf?... dude i just explained myself clearly... so wtf? you got something against me because i dont like a greedy company?

Well whatever floats your boat. i wanted to be buds with you at some point then add ya to PSN / XBL but oh well.

Continue your PS3 hate parade Xbot.

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
@seece- whoa...wtf?... dude i just explained myself clearly... so wtf? you got something against me because i dont like a greedy company?

Well whatever floats your boat. i wanted to be buds with you at some point then add ya to PSN / XBL but oh well.

Continue your PS3 hate parade Xbot.

I have seen your posts!! I don't have anything against you, I could care less who hates who on this website. I just said I think you're a sony fanboy, you explained yourself but it didn't wash with me. Like I have said I have seen your posts and they seem stealth sony fanboyish to me. Now drop it.