By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 fall below 15% marketshare in Americas in 2009?

Mm, Mm. you're entitled to your opinion on me so..

Whatever. i called it first though just in-case anyone else brings it up.

Around the Network

Yes, Seece is a stealthed Xbot, and Seraphic is a stealthed PS3 fanboy!

Hell, what next? Is Leo-J a stealthed Wii fanboy? Ronster a stealthed PS3 fanboy?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Yes, Seece is a stealthed Xbot, and Seraphic is a stealthed PS3 fanboy!

Hell, what next? Is Leo-J a stealthed Wii fanboy? Ronster a stealthed PS3 fanboy?

I can see Leo J having a picture of a Wii on a dartboard hanging on his bedroom door.

-_- im not stealthed anything damnit.

Oh thats it MGS4 is at the bottom of my list NAO!

*Gives Kantor the look.* O_o

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
-_- im not stealthed anything damnit.

Oh thats it MGS4 is at the bottom of my list NAO!

*Gives Kantor the look.* O_o

I guess its that you "used" to be a Sony fanboy :)

Around the Network

Well, i'll give you that...

Er... ima not gonna deny it, i "USE" to be in 2007, but i was "young" and "stupid" at the time and foolishly flocked to the PS3 because the PS2 was so awesome.

Well... That and because Versus XIII is a WW exclusive.

But for all its worth i've seen the clarity of it all.

I just thought to myself one day and said "Hey...the 360 is still HD...so if it get the games i like...it'll still look freakin sexy!!!" and then i thought "Its better then any of them going to the Wii...the gamecube was terrible imo".

Mm, Mm... glad i got that off my cheast.

But yeah im a "former sony fanboy" gone "HD console fanboy" because i really dont wanna play any of my hyped games on a Wii...that would be Blasphemy imo.

Which is why when Kingdom Hearts 3 is annouced for Xbox 720 or the PlayStation 4 in god knows when, theres a buncha of peoples reactions around VG i wanna see. :D

I ran the numbers, and I agree it is possible. Given the higher price of the PS3, Christmas is it's only shot of having enough sales for it to do better. Failing to have much of a boost Q4 means it will almost certainly continue to loose market share in Americas.

I predict Q1 will be decent % wise, but that is more due to supply constrain of the wii, then the PS3 actually doing good. However, unless something changes, Q2-Q4 will have market share bleed by the PS3 in 2009.

2010 is more probable with no improvement, but 2009 is possible. It's also possible for a price cut, some unannounced exclusive to be release for the PS3, and for supply to meet demand as saturation nears and sales of the wii to fall closer to that of the 360. Another thing that would help PS3 sales is if they ever managed to make BC available on the low priced model, perhaps even dropping the PS2.

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Well, i'll give you that...

Er... ima not gonna deny it, i "USE" to be in 2007, but i was "young" and "stupid" at the time and foolishly flocked to the PS3 because the PS2 was so awesome.

Well... That and because Versus XIII is a WW exclusive.

But for all its worth i've seen the clarity of it all.

I just thought to myself one day and said "Hey...the 360 is still HD...so if it get the games i like...it'll still look freakin sexy!!!" and then i thought "Its better then any of them going to the Wii...the gamecube was terrible imo".

Mm, Mm... glad i got that off my cheast.

But yeah im a "former sony fanboy" gone "HD console fanboy" because i really dont wanna play any of my hyped games on a Wii...that would be Blasphemy imo.

Which is why when Kingdom Hearts 3 is annouced for Xbox 720 or the PlayStation 4 in god knows when, theres a buncha of peoples reactions around VG i wanna see. :D

Weill I'm looking forward to at least 8+ games on the PS3, I have a list of Blurays I want to buy and I'm even going to try the online! True Xbot I am ;)

Maybe however hard we try we're tainted forever more.

I believe PS3 will only cut price by $50 in 2009. Ending 2009 with a $349 PS3 price tag.
MS will easily counter the $50 and match it on all of their SKU's making the Arcade only $149 by end of 2009. Pro at $249 Elite at $349.

Wii to streak away from the competition in 2009 remaining at its $249 price tag.

jlauro said:
I ran the numbers, and I agree it is possible. Given the higher price of the PS3, Christmas is it's only shot of having enough sales for it to do better. Failing to have much of a boost Q4 means it will almost certainly continue to loose market share in Americas.

I predict Q1 will be decent % wise, but that is more due to supply constrain of the wii, then the PS3 actually doing good. However, unless something changes, Q2-Q4 will have market share bleed by the PS3 in 2009.

2010 is more probable with no improvement, but 2009 is possible. It's also possible for a price cut, some unannounced exclusive to be release for the PS3, and for supply to meet demand as saturation nears and sales of the wii to fall closer to that of the 360. Another thing that would help PS3 sales is if they ever managed to make BC available on the low priced model, perhaps even dropping the PS2.

Theres a lot Sony can do in time, and that will help them. Right now though thing's don't look rosey. You think the Wii will be supply constrained in Q1? I know Nintendo ramped up production on november/december (so I heard on here) and I havn't seen as many reports of it being supply constrained, my sister coulnd't find one all christmas though.

I think Q1 will be the worst the PS3 has ever seen.

Here is the situation. People really will struggle to justify buying ANY games console right now. Christmas is over, there are bills that need paying and who knows if the recession is going to get any worse ( I'm not knowledgeable in that field I have just heard it will from various people)

Its a matter of waiting and seeing.