By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How am I supposed to "get into" Metal Gear Solid?

L.C.E.C. said:

I have a Wii (and a GC still), an XBOX 360 and an 80 GB PS3 (No B/C) (BTW, My PC = SHIT)

I asked for the remake of MGS1, MGS:TTS. I was really interested in MGS after playing brawl, and I thought I would cross the next bridge when I got there, ya know... I didn't know I would have a PS3 then either....

Christmas Day: My parents buy me an 80 GB PS3

1 day later: I find out it has no B/C

Today, another day later, My parents give me MGS4... I act very happy

Isn't the story, like, VITALLY important in MGS4?

Someone please help me out!

Dude, a lot of people are gonna claim you wont be able to fathom the story etc. THATS NOT TRUE

the only metal gear solid game i've played (for more than a minute) is metal gear solid 4. And it's one of my favorate games. Not only that, I completely understand the story.

Now what i did and what i suggest you should do is watch the "retrospects" it's an hour or two but it'll give you insight to most of the story, chars etc. And if you pick up alright thers no reason why you won't be able to get as much out of it as anyone else.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6748.html

That is what i did (didn't watch all the parts though) and like i said it's one of my favorate games and i completely understood the story. Hope this helps.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

Honestly, don't play MGS4 yet...wait until you've played 1 and 3....watch a recap on 2, it sucks.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

dowload msg4 database, they tell you everything there. in the psn

For those of you telling me that I need to play the others:

1. How long are those games in hrs approximately?
2. Should I take back MGS4 for now? I haven't opened it, but my mom got off of an online store (I think for $20 off), so I'd have to mail it back in... and I can't trade it in to GS, because I know I'd get ripped off for it...
3. Should I just keep it?

What should I do?

KEEP it,

its one of the best games EVER and probably the best i have played . its epic.

just read a synapsis of the game who is liquid, snake, big boss and the boss you are ready to go.

Around the Network

Just play the game.. the story plays a huge role, but even if your completely new to the series, you will understand it.

mM

Pretty intresting... You know whats amusing?

Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best game i have -E V E R- Played.

Ive won it 18 times, (Not kidding..)

Ive won it over 10 times without playing MGS1-2-3. AND IT IS FUCKING AMAZING! I cried at the end not knowing any SHIT. You do actually understand the story..

Before it was released i was like everyones talking about MGS4 meh ill get it! why not its so hyped and probably not bad. So i did watch some videos on that Game trailers shit but it didnt really help me out it might have even confused me more XD. The characters are simply awesome you know who they are that was no issue. Foxhound and all these PMCs and shit confused the hell out of me but hey it worked out fine! Although i read ALOT on wikipedia, metal gear pedia or whatever its called, downloaded the MGS database but didnt use it at all kinda just a few stuff i was wondering like what happend to this dude etc..

After beating it 10 times and crying everytime in the end i was determined, Determine to get the other masterpieces. I went to Ebay and got myself MGS1-2-3. Atm i have only won 1 (Amazing) Yet on 2nd, Then i got LBP and Uncharted, Played Uncharted and won it, Still playing LBP and MGO so MGS2 is atm on a hold kinda.

Im just saying if a guy like me can fucking love MGS4 and crown MGS to be the best shit ive EVER played it made me talk about MGS with all my friends that i even forgott STARWARS! In that case im sure without doubt you can. If you however beat MGS4 and Love it.. You will probably feel like getting 1-2-3. But.. do you know what MGS is about? If you have no clue i suggest u do beat 4, then if u really loved it get 1-2-3. Be a bit shame if u got 1-2-3 and then didnt like em at all... the special unique style Kojima puts in is just wauw imo but then again alot dont agree.

Its a bit hard btw.. to play a PS1-PS2 game when u have games as MGS4 and LBP infront of you. I think i won MGS4 3 times during my time owning MGS1. It was like Naw ill play MGS4 now and MGS1 later, Naw ill play MGS4 now and MGS2 later.

Anyway MGS4 first, MGS1-2-3 if u loved MGS4.

MGS FUCKING PWNS! (Sorry for language)

Seriously, I'd suggest he plays the previous games first because there are so many new controls and gameplay tweaks in MGS4 that he might find the gameplay elements in the first games a bit, let's say, underwhelming (no first-person view in the original version of Metal Gear Solid for example, no "weapons shop" and all, etc.).

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

You can play MGS1 on Wii. Twin Snakes is a remake of the first game for GC.

You really wont get whats going on in mgs4 without the previous games knowledge. Im sure theres a youtube vid that explains everything somewhere...

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot