By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How am I supposed to "get into" Metal Gear Solid?

Staude said:
L.C.E.C. said:

Isn't the story, like, VITALLY important in MGS4?

Someone please help me out!

Dude, a lot of people are gonna claim you wont be able to fathom the story etc. THATS NOT TRUE

the only metal gear solid game i've played (for more than a minute) is metal gear solid 4. And it's one of my favorate games. Not only that, I completely understand the story.

Now what i did and what i suggest you should do is watch the "retrospects" it's an hour or two but it'll give you insight to most of the story, chars etc. And if you pick up alright thers no reason why you won't be able to get as much out of it as anyone else.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6748.html

That is what i did (didn't watch all the parts though) and like i said it's one of my favorate games and i completely understood the story. Hope this helps.

Part 6, listed below, is THE one to watch of the retrospective, to get caught up on the story:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35094.html

The rest have to do with the series itself, and how it sold, and so on.

Around the Network

just watch the retrospective as leoj mentioned,,,that's what i did and i followed the story nicely.

Personally I used the PSN database. Couldn't remember anything of the earlier games stories as I'd only played a small part of the first PS MGS game and never played any other MGS game. Until MGS4. And it's still easily my favorite game this gen. (Closely followed by Fallout 3)

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Anyone telling you to not worry about getting the rest of the story first isn't looking out for your best interests. Sure you could probably play the game and get the gist of everything that's happening. You could also watch Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King without seeing the previous two movies and think it's your favorite movie ever, but I guarantee you would have appreciated it more had you watched them all in order as one story. You can sub in Return of the Jedi if you're not familiar with LOTR. It's the same as everyone that is telling you to not bother. They too would have had a better first experience if they had played the previous games, and I don't know why they would want you to share their scenario. MGS is heavily story driven, and if you want the most out of your inaugural experience with MGS4, then at least sit through a playthrough video over Youtbube of the first three games. I would also recommend the opening videos in MGS1 where Snake is sitting and talking to Campbell about why he is being called in for the mission.

Bottom-line, playing the games is not mandatory, but watching or reading up on the story of the previous games is if you want your best experience with the new one. Don't listen to anyone telling you any different.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

if i get mgs4 without playing any mgs game ever would i have fun?

Around the Network
bRoKeN said:
if i get mgs4 without playing any mgs game ever would i have fun?

It's impossible to determine. Not knowing the story isn't going to be a factor in something else you know nothing about, which is the gameplay. You may not like what the game is like at all.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

You don't have to play the previous games... Sure, you'll miss lots of stuff but I think you're still going to understand what's going on and enjoy it (and if not, you wouldn't have enjoyed it anyway). Really, all you have to know is nothing and if you really want to know something, it's that Snake (the main character - the one you play) is a clone of Big Boss. Oh, and Raiden was the playable character of MGS2 in case you happen to run into him. And the Patriots are running the US behind the scenes. Anyway, the previous games just give depth but aren't necessary for understanding the plot.

i haaven't payed any mgs games till mgs4 but the gt retrosppecctive filled the gaps.

OH GUYS BTW after playing MGS4 and won it 10 times i decided to try mGS3 (Without doing 1 and 2 yet XD ) IT WAS HORRIBLE MGS3s controller made me puke, u couldnt walk when u crounched it automaticly laied down, Atleast in MGS1 it felt like meh who wanna crounch when the game is.. seen from above kinda XD. But seriously if u play MGS4 and not palyed any other then go and play MGS3 in the beginning its gonna be HAAARD. I decided not to complete 3 and start on 1 instead XD

Tbh it appears most people that played 1 and 2 and 3 are like dissapointed with the story, I on th eother hand never played any other MGS and this was completely new to me this whole... Cinematic feeling and the die hard hero. Only seen in movies kinda, It was fucking brilliant. So yeah i suggest u play MGS4 first XD that way u might just love it more.