By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 8 months later - PS3 only has TWO million sellers?

I guess two million sellers is impressive for how few PS3s are out there, for it to be a million seller that means at least one fourth of PS3 owners have bought it. This is to be expected of any console that is selling at such a modest rate. Not really something to hold against the PS3.

“The Hardcore of the Peach is its pits. Try to get the whole fruit!”

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

“You don’t play Graphics, you look at them.”

- Unknown

“Casual Gaming = Anything that’s not an FPS”

- Sony Fandom

Around the Network

@Soriku:
I have never heard a Sony fan even say that so stop accussing and secondly if you have heard that said why are you pinning it on EVERY Sony fan when its only a very small number think that.
Nintendo isnt "kiddy" they just have games that appeal to large audiences and R&C appeals to a large audience same as LBP.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

@Soriku:
"Casual" games appeal to EVERYONE "hardcore" games only appeal to "hardcores" so saying LBP wont sell because its on a system that only "hardcores" buy(apparently) is quite stupid IMO.I was using the Metroid as an example because it probably would sell 1million same as LBP will sell 1million.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Mitsuhide is right to some extent. Now that Kiddy games are no longer a threat, but rather an asset, companies like Sony and MS are embrassing them and trying to get as many as they can. Ratchet and Clank has always been a strong franchise for Sony though so its perhaps not fair to include in this trend but it does fall in the same group.

It is true many Sony fans accussed Nintendo for being kiddy last gen and now don't for some reason despite the fact Nintendo's aim in games hasn't changed at all, some fanboys are fickle like the wind, it's a fact. Let it go Soriku, you can't hold something against every person who owns the console.

Also, Mitsuhide, most Core and Casual Gamers are not going to spend 500-600 dollars on a console no matter what the games are. LBP will do well, but it won't have the Nintendo affect. The console is just too unnapealing to non-hardcores. Since most Hardcore gamers for the PS3 are willing to play anything released on the PS3 as a signiture game and sing its praises to the heavens, the game should do just fine even with hardcore gamers despite its classification of Core or Casual.

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

- Unknown

- Sony Fandom

HappySqurriel said:

Heavenly Sword can best be described as "God of War with a chick!" and as such I don't see how it could possibly break 1 Million units on the PS3 ...

God of War has only sold particularly well in North America and Europe and on the impossibly large PS2 userbase only surpassed 1 Million units sold; I can't honestly see a game like this being bought by 1/4 of the American and European PS3 owners which would be necessary in order to break 1 Million.

Over the generation it is possible for it to make this mark if it is high enough quality to still interest people 3 years from now, but in 2007 it won't even come close

I'll take a bet with whoever I must.

I bet heavenly sword will hit the 1 million mark by decmeber 31st 2007 or earlier.

And I also bet that god of war chains of olympus will be THE best selling title on the psp.

mM
Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Hus - actually, the X360 had far far more software sales at this point in time than the PS3 did. As I stated, the X360 had 3 million sellers and anywhere from 4-6 games with 1m+ shipped games. This is in comparison to the PS3 only having 1 game guarenteed with 1m+ units sold and another with 1m shipped.

The X360 had a tier ratio of 5.0 in the US at this time last year, versus a 3.0 in the US for the PS3. Outside of the 2 PS3 million-shippers, I don't think there are many games within 250,000 units of hitting the 1m mark - whereas the X360 had atleast 6 games within 250k of the 1m mark. It's unlikely that the PS3 will have another 1m+ game outside of new releases, whereas the X360 had 6 games that were 1m sellers from the pre-August sales period.

Now, for IMO 1m sellers for the rest of the year for the PS3:

Assassains Creed: Should hit 1m by EOY, or atleast real close.
CoD4: Easily will hit 1m w/w, and will eventually hit 1m in the US alone.
Lair: Good chance due to that it should have good sales in all 3 areas (it only really needs about 425k in the US to have a good shot at hitting 1m w/w)
Uncharted: Will hit 1m worldwide. With only really Tomb Raider being another game in the true adventuring genre, this is a shoe in.

Games that won't hit 1m, but get close:
Heavenly Sword: As much as you might want to believe it will, it won't.
Haze: "
Unreal Tournament: It'll be heavily favored in the US, but little succuess outside of the USA.
Warhawk: Despite the bluetooth headset, I don't think it being full price really gives it an edge on the whole bundle business.

Now, if your talking 2m+ sellers, I don't think any from the list except for CoD4 will hit 2m+. MGS4, FFXIII, GT5 are all guarenteed 2m+ w/w. I think LBP, despite everyone's belief of an uber-hit, will wind up being the Viva Pianta of the Playstation 3.

I think Warhawk will sell a million but it won't be reflected on this site. A good percentage of the buyers will get it through DLC.

Soriku said:
I don't get something...

You fanboys say "LOL Nintendo is teh kiddyz!11!!" yet R&C is the same type of 'kiddy' and you go "R&C is teh awsomz!11oneoneshift1!"

Why is that? And Nintendo isn't kiddy.

Well almost all games nintendo make are for a younger audience, mario, and kirby and those other fascinating games appeal alot to younger audiences zelda does not, nor does metroid I see them appealing to the hardcore(when I was a kid I didnt like zelda or metroid at all).

Sony fans dont atack nintendo, they attack microsoft and there XBOTS.

mM

Another troll war between Super Sony Troll Leo-J and Super Nintendo Troll Soriku about to commence. Anyone taking bets on whether or not Gbalzack name calling ensues this time?

I swear, we should make a fake forum for people like you two to go into and battle eachother for everyone's amusement so you don't ruin everythread you come across in the real forums.

P.S. @ Leo-J: "As a kid you didn't like Metroid or Zelda"? You still are a kid, lol

- John Lucas

- Reggie Fils-Aime

- Unknown

- Sony Fandom

leo-j said:
HappySqurriel said:

Heavenly Sword can best be described as "God of War with a chick!" and as such I don't see how it could possibly break 1 Million units on the PS3 ...

God of War has only sold particularly well in North America and Europe and on the impossibly large PS2 userbase only surpassed 1 Million units sold; I can't honestly see a game like this being bought by 1/4 of the American and European PS3 owners which would be necessary in order to break 1 Million.

Over the generation it is possible for it to make this mark if it is high enough quality to still interest people 3 years from now, but in 2007 it won't even come close

I'll take a bet with whoever I must.

I bet heavenly sword will hit the 1 million mark by decmeber 31st 2007 or earlier.

And I also bet that god of war chains of olympus will be THE best selling title on the psp.

Better than GTA? I doubt it. 

The reason the PS3 is not selling a lot of games is because not a lot of good ones have come out. When you have a install base consisting of only people that know when a game is worth purchasing, all those shitty EA, UBIsoft, and Activision get looked over. So far the best 2 games on the system are doing what they are supposed to do and I don't see that changing.

Lair- Europe will be the big market for this game 800k, US will probably be 600k, japan in at 150k
Heavanly Sword- I also Think Europe will be the biggest market for this game 850k, US a little closer 750k, and Japan @ 220k
Singstar- This game will be the talk in EU this winter 1.2m, US 350k, Japan 450k
Ratchet and Clank- The US is more of the market for this game 600k, EU @ 350, Japan @ 175k
Uncharted- Only about 300k in the US this year 1m+ next year, EU @ 200k, japan 40k
Gran Turismo Prologe- EU if around 20 USD 600k, US 1m, Japan @ 350k
Hot Shots Golf 5- Japan will be at 400k+, america should be at 300k, Europe I am not sure of what to put
Madden- 1.3m US is all that counts
Smack Down VS Raw- one of the best selling games every year on PS2 US 600k, EU @ 400k, Japan @ 25k
NFS- Very underestimated, but it does sell like 6m+ on PS2 very good chance but no guesses

Everyone one of these games will sell very good this holiday and with the PS3 user base around 8.5 million by the end of the year they should all be fine.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL