By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 8 months later - PS3 only has TWO million sellers?

Soriku said:
I agree with Claude.

@Hus

HS - no
Fifa - no
Madden - maybe
NFSPS - BIG NO
CoD4 - ALMOST but not quite
R&C - No, but really close
UT3 - Probably, either 1 mil or 800-900k range
AC - BIG NO
Haze - maybe
Uncharted - maybe

HS yes it will sell 1 million easily

1.Hype

2.boxart

3.God of war comparison

4.Immense story

5.Great gameplay(and amazing graphics)

I expect resistance to sell 3 million by year's end and Unreal tournament is a BIG seller, the best fps on the xbox and ps2 in its time, I expect it to sell 1 million by year's end.

mM
Around the Network
Soriku said:
I agree with Claude.

@Hus

HS - no
Fifa - no
Madden - maybe
NFSPS - BIG NO
CoD4 - ALMOST but not quite
R&C - No, but really close
UT3 - Probably, either 1 mil or 800-900k range
AC - BIG NO
Haze - maybe
Uncharted - maybe

LMAO

sure bud.

leo-j said:

I expect resistance to sell 3 million by year's end and Unreal tournament is a BIG seller, the best fps on the xbox and ps2 in its time, I expect it to sell 1 million by year's end.

Resistance is projected to do 2 million, of course once iit become sa "best seller" and cost $20/30 it could hit 3 million.

Soriku said:
@Hus

Wanna take a bet?

sure, theres ten on my list.

+50% going 1 million i win, less then 50% you win ? 

Games like Killzone 2 and Uncharted are over estimated, and just downright mistakes if they want to make money. They will pull in about six hundred thousand or so, enough to break even if they are lucky. PS3 sells to all of the audiences, there is no concentration like with Nintendo and Microsoft. You can't have your cake and eat it too, Sony has a wide spectrum fanbase. That's a pretty big disadvantage to them, because that means they only have about 500 thousand people that like FPS and another 500 that like RPG. Resistance and Motorstorm sold well simply because the PS3 had nothing else.

People criticize developers for switching to Wii development but at least the Wii has a larger installed base that is concentrated in 3 or so genres, and not spread out like the PS3. Same with Microsoft.

On a system where you need a million just to break even PS3 is gonna be in rough waters.

Around the Network

Heavenly Sword can best be described as "God of War with a chick!" and as such I don't see how it could possibly break 1 Million units on the PS3 ...

God of War has only sold particularly well in North America and Europe and on the impossibly large PS2 userbase only surpassed 1 Million units sold; I can't honestly see a game like this being bought by 1/4 of the American and European PS3 owners which would be necessary in order to break 1 Million.

Over the generation it is possible for it to make this mark if it is high enough quality to still interest people 3 years from now, but in 2007 it won't even come close

DarkD said:
Games like Killzone 2 and Uncharted are over estimated, and just downright mistakes if they want to make money. They will pull in about six hundred thousand or so, enough to break even if they are lucky. PS3 sells to all of the audiences, there is no concentration like with Nintendo and Microsoft. You can't have your cake and eat it too, Sony has a wide spectrum fanbase. That's a pretty big disadvantage to them, because that means they only have about 500 thousand people that like FPS and another 500 that like RPG. Resistance and Motorstorm sold well simply because the PS3 had nothing else.

People criticize developers for switching to Wii development but at least the Wii has a larger installed base that is concentrated in 3 or so genres, and not spread out like the PS3. Same with Microsoft.

On a system where you need a million just to break even PS3 is gonna be in rough waters.

LOL priceless post.

I don't think there is an actual chart that has when a game went platinum according to VGChartz.com.

However, it's very easy to find a few easy guarenteed games by August 5th. For European numbers, I take US numbers, and use the % crossover of the total US to European sales for the numbers on the X360 w/w million sellers chart.

Name  US SalesJapanese Sales  European Sales  Total Sales
 Call of Duty 2 1,123,427 11,000 (est) 505,350 1,639,747
 Ghost Recon: AW 893,666 12,000 (est) 473,290 1,378,956
 TES: Oblivion 798,620 0  414,960 1,213,530
 Perfect Dark Zero 577,824 20,000 (est) 379,089 976,913
 Fight Night Round 3 563,977 5,000 (est) 247,720 816,697
 Need 4 Speed: MW 464,139 15,000 (est) 375,840 854,979

So it's safe to say the X360 had no less than 3 million sellers at this point. If your counting just shipped units, then there would be atleast 4, and possibly upto 6 due to NFSMW and PGR3 having a decent shot at having another 150,000 units shipped at that point, asthey were getting close to becoming Platinum titles at that time.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

HappySqurriel said:

Heavenly Sword can best be described as "God of War with a chick!" and as such I don't see how it could possibly break 1 Million units on the PS3 ...

God of War has only sold particularly well in North America and Europe and on the impossibly large PS2 userbase only surpassed 1 Million units sold; I can't honestly see a game like this being bought by 1/4 of the American and European PS3 owners which would be necessary in order to break 1 Million.

Over the generation it is possible for it to make this mark if it is high enough quality to still interest people 3 years from now, but in 2007 it won't even come close

You dont see that Gow is quite the hardcore game ? it would sell same on a 10 millon or 120 millon user base. 

So ,people are critizing PS3 for only having two million seller right now but the 360 last year hadnt anything more and without competence ?

Dont understand .....

Wii has a larger installed base concentrated on 3 or so genres .Mario games ,owned by Nintendo .Minigames ,pretty much owned by Nintendo as well although some as Ubi can make some money from there .And the third being the Training thing ...also owned by Nintendo .I dont see how the third parties can be interested in that kind of machine no matter how big a userbase it has .

I will add my two cents at the potential million sellers for the PS3 this year .

Madden-Doubt it ,it wont make it in NA and it isnt even sold in Europe and sells extremely poor in Japan.
Ratchet and Clank-That will make some 100K in Japan ,in NA it can do some 350K or so and more or less the same in Europe.Wont get there but will be close.In 2008 it will get there .
Unreal 3.Not many chances ,being exclusive for PS3 in consoles is a plus but most of its userbase are PC users and will get it in PC.Plus its a FPS and in Japan it wont do too well.
Haze:Not many chances .It could do some 300K in NA and the same in Europe maybe.
Uncharted:Maybe .Dont see it doing 1 million this holidays ,the lifetime total will,
Lair :Pretty sure ,it will sell strong in the three markets and can reach 1 million for sure.
Heavenly Sword:Probably .Initial september numbers wont be so high but when the PS3 starts selling strongly in the holidays it will be one game many people will buy .
Pro Evolution Soccer :Sure .That will make more than 1 million in PS3 in Europe alone.
Singstar:Sure .That game sells like hotcakes and with this iteration it will probably do good in NA as well .
Warhwak:Maybe ,in any case we wont know as sales will be divided between people that buy it in BR and those that buy it through the store .
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue:Even being only the appetizer I see this selling one million easily .

So I would bet on Gran Turismo Prologue ,Singstar and Pro Evolution Soccer .