By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What's the scoop on Lair?

Around the Network

Loss of courage? Or is that tight rope getting too unstable for you?

“The Hardcore of the Peach is its pits. Try to get the whole fruit!”

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

“You don’t play Graphics, you look at them.”

- Unknown

“Casual Gaming = Anything that’s not an FPS”

- Sony Fandom

I want lair, because I like Dragons. I usually kinda like weighing reviews on my purchases, but this isn't one of those games. I am buying it because I want to have six-axis with a dragon. The only reason why I might not buy it is because there are too many games coming out this holiday, starting as early as September.

If it hadn't been delayed, it would have been definite. I know it is better delayed, but I wanted a PS3 game this month so bad. This delay is the reason why I started the stupid (which I know it was now) "Should I sell my PS3" thread. I bought a PS3 for Final Fantasy and eye-candy like lair. As much as I love my wii and good game play, sometime I just want to kick back and play a stupid game about flying around on a Dragon.

@Twestern, gameplay isn't the only reason why people buy games or play them. Sorry I hate to disagree with you, but if it was all about gameplay then we would all still be playing PSone dual shock (or Early PS2 w/FPS) games, the last time there was any gameplay innovation (before Wii). FFVII(graphics) is talked about just as much as Super Mario 64 (gameplay+graphics). Better graphics, story, sound, etc. add to the constant desire for people to have the newest thing, and why you have a job making new video games (that is what you do right?).

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

C'mon, my picture kicked arse, he even has a LAIR tattoo on his stomach!!!!

steven787 said:

@Twestern, gameplay isn't the only reason why people buy games or play them. Sorry I hate to disagree with you, but if it was all about gameplay then we would all still be playing PSone dual shock (or Early PS2 w/FPS) games, the last time there was any gameplay innovation (before Wii). FFVII(graphics) is talked about just as much as Super Mario 64 (gameplay+graphics). Better graphics, story, sound, etc. add to the constant desire for people to have the newest thing, and why you have a job making new video games (that is what you do right?).

For the vast majority of games (this doesn't apply to like 4 games in every game made) gameplay is the reason you buy it.  If gameplay wasn't a factor you would just go see a movie. 

Actually (if the developer knows what they're doing), when creating a game they generally make everything a block or collection of blocks and spheres with flat textures that has the same number of poly's as the intended character and then create the base gameplay.  They then create a white box or blockout or whatever you would like to call it where everything is pretty much gray, yellow, and other single colors like that to represent destroyable walls, roads, golden paths, exits, events, ect.  Using all that they then make the game fun.  After they get the game to a point where it's fun just playing with a bunch of blocks only then do they actually start working on the art.

And saying the last time there was gameplay innovation before the Wii was the PS1 and Super Mario 64 is just...well apparently I can't say what that is without getting bitched at but just look at the post you're  referring to.  People make things with increasingly better graphics simply because they can.  The bright and flashy ZOMG graphics and art style grabs peoples attention while the gameplay will actually keep them playing.

Now what's interesting, since you mentioned the Wii, is that generally games have been following the Moore's law idea where everything must keep getting better and better graphics wise and has really pressed developers.  Every time a new Madden gets released or something like Lair gets released they have to at least meet the new bar or else get ridiculed.  With the Wii, things have suddenly taken a step backwards (which was an incredibly bold idea) and people are actually supporting this like crazy and going against the Moore's law idea.

And yes OriGin, I like your picture and saying you think a game is going to flop isn't trolling, saying something like OMG u all r teh stoopid fr thinking liar is gonna du well it gonna sell 5 copy!!! LOL is trolling. 

Around the Network

We have a blu-ray disc. The game is said to use 25gb of the space. The other 25gb is just a waste of nothing on the disc. Riding a dragon with the six axis at 30fps is a piece of crud. The graphcis may be OMG!! CRISIS ON A DRAGON!!, but filying around ONLY sucks, look at warhawk, it used to be a flight only and they took that out because gamers wouldn't like it. Unless the game is 60fps I wont be buying.

mM
leo-j said:
We have a blu-ray disc. The game is said to use 25gb of the space. The other 25gb is just a waste of nothing on the disc. Riding a dragon with the six axis at 30fps is a piece of crud. The graphcis may be OMG!! CRISIS ON A DRAGON!!, but filying around ONLY sucks, look at warhawk, it used to be a flight only and they took that out because gamers wouldn't like it. Unless the game is 60fps I wont be buying.

True. Right now WarHawk looks more compelling than Lair and is at a lower price.

Consoles I Own: NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, DS, X360, Wii

leo-j said:

Heavenly Sword is only fighting, what a piece of crap. With all the space on a BD you think they could have you do more than fight with swords. Fighting people ONLY sucks, look at Dynasty Warriors.

BTW, BD's come in 25gb and 50gb versions, Lair isn't wasting 25gb. Besides, just because a game uses up 50gb doesn't mean its not being wasted. Lots of space used =/= good game

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:
leo-j said:

Heavenly Sword is only fighting, what a piece of crap. With all the space on a BD you think they could have you do more than fight with swords. Fighting people ONLY sucks, look at Dynasty Warriors.

BTW, BD's come in 25gb and 50gb versions, Lair isn't wasting 25gb. Besides, just because a game uses up 50gb doesn't mean its not being wasted. Lots of space used =/= good game

Actually in the preview of the game IGN gave, they said the game had a lot more than fighting, which they were very happy about.  Here is a link:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/804/804704p1.html

Why do all of you judge a game so harshly even before it hits stores?  You don't even try to educate yourself about anything in the game whatsoever.   

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
sieanr said:
leo-j said:

Actually in the preview of the game IGN gave, they said the game had a lot more than fighting, which they were very happy about. Here is a link:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/804/804704p1.html

Why do all of you judge a game so harshly even before it hits stores? You don't even try to educate yourself about anything in the game whatsoever.

Im pretty sure he was meant to write that in pink. He was trying to prove leo-J's point wrong with sarcasm.