By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What's the scoop on Lair?

twesterm said:
steven787 said:

@Twestern, gameplay isn't the only reason why people buy games or play them. Sorry I hate to disagree with you, but if it was all about gameplay then we would all still be playing PSone dual shock (or Early PS2 w/FPS) games, the last time there was any gameplay innovation (before Wii). FFVII(graphics) is talked about just as much as Super Mario 64 (gameplay+graphics). Better graphics, story, sound, etc. add to the constant desire for people to have the newest thing, and why you have a job making new video games (that is what you do right?).

For the vast majority of games (this doesn't apply to like 4 games in every game made) gameplay is the reason you buy it. If gameplay wasn't a factor you would just go see a movie.

Actually (if the developer knows what they're doing), when creating a game they generally make everything a block or collection of blocks and spheres with flat textures that has the same number of poly's as the intended character and then create the base gameplay. They then create a white box or blockout or whatever you would like to call it where everything is pretty much gray, yellow, and other single colors like that to represent destroyable walls, roads, golden paths, exits, events, ect. Using all that they then make the game fun. After they get the game to a point where it's fun just playing with a bunch of blocks only then do they actually start working on the art.

And saying the last time there was gameplay innovation before the Wii was the PS1 and Super Mario 64 is just...well apparently I can't say what that is without getting bitched at but just look at the post you're referring to. People make things with increasingly better graphics simply because they can. The bright and flashy ZOMG graphics and art style grabs peoples attention while the gameplay will actually keep them playing.

Now what's interesting, since you mentioned the Wii, is that generally games have been following the Moore's law idea where everything must keep getting better and better graphics wise and has really pressed developers. Every time a new Madden gets released or something like Lair gets released they have to at least meet the new bar or else get ridiculed. With the Wii, things have suddenly taken a step backwards (which was an incredibly bold idea) and people are actually supporting this like crazy and going against the Moore's law idea.

And yes OriGin, I like your picture and saying you think a game is going to flop isn't trolling, saying something like OMG u all r teh stoopid fr thinking liar is gonna du well it gonna sell 5 copy!!! LOL is trolling.

I really went in the wrong direction with my OP, I meant more that the art not graphics has just as much to do with why people buy games as does game play (not necessarily graphics).

I agree, I buy games based on gameplay. But I am talking about Joe Casual Gamebuyer, who buys one or two games a year buys it on really 3 main things: Advertising, buzz, or popularity(1) and what he has read or heard about Gameplay (2) and Graphics, art style, or Theme (3). Whether it's Madden or a movie license, dragons or a certain anime, these three things pretty much sum up why casual to core gamers (not the hard core) buy games.

I love my Wii, and I think everyone on the planet should have access to one... But it isn't just successful in the US, EU, or JPN for gameplay. The Graphics are good compared to what most casual gamers have seen at home before. The buzz is incredible Al Roker has been seen playing the Wii twice now, do you think they would have him playing Halo? People (read: Marketing Targets) buy what they are told to by sources they trust.While Sony and MS are trying to market complex machines with odd advertisements and sales pitches, Al Roker, USA Today, NY Times, Forbes, and many more trusted sources keep saying, "Buy this Wii." The people keep saying, "OK"

Moores Law is fun for engineers to talk about, maximum processing power will double every five(?) years. But Software and PC manufacturers realized a long time ago that when you double the processing power (and than half the price as some theorize, making it p^x^z and veering off of the original hypothesis) that people don't need or want all that power so you have to do one of two things. Either repackage an old product as a new one (lower processors in stylish iMacs, MacMinis) or you can drive demand for hardware with new software (PC games). Nintendo recognized that in the last 5 years "x" processing power multiplied (user end) but "z" the price of the next acceptable step to generate the type of demand was still too costly (proving the futurist are a little too enthusiastic).

Bringing this back to graphics or gameplay... look at the top 20 games. Mario has always been a graphics and gameplay leader, with lots of buzz, advertising, synergy, popularity... it feeds on it's self. Then Pokemon, when it came out the graphics gameplay (collecting and controling different monsters) were done better than any other attempt, but the new ones keep selling with slight visual improvements and no gameplay improvements. The graphics weren't great but look at all those different pokemon. The hype keeps perpetuating Pokemon. GTA hype, depth, large environments (which was a really big deal 6 years ago), but the game plays out like any other adventure game... except now you have the illusion of freedom instead of a mission select screen.

Get lower on the list though and can you really say that people are buying gameplay? NCAA, MADDEN, Spiderman Movie Game, Halo 3 Demo Crackdown... then into 50-200 for the year you see it dominated by so-so titles: Wrestling, Hannah Montana, Def Jam Icon, More sports, more GTA spin-offs, Paws and Claws Pet Vet beat out Puzzle Quest for gods sake...

Now don't get me wrong, I think consumers tastes in VG's is way better than in TV or movies, but gameplay is just one factor.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network
Rath said:
akuma587 said:
sieanr said:
leo-j said:
We have a blu-ray disc. The game is said to use 25gb of the space. The other 25gb is just a waste of nothing on the disc. Riding a dragon with the six axis at 30fps is a piece of crud. The graphcis may be OMG!! CRISIS ON A DRAGON!!, but filying around ONLY sucks, look at warhawk, it used to be a flight only and they took that out because gamers wouldn't like it. Unless the game is 60fps I wont be buying.

Heavenly Sword is only fighting, what a piece of crap. With all the space on a BD you think they could have you do more than fight with swords. Fighting people ONLY sucks, look at Dynasty Warriors.

BTW, BD's come in 25gb and 50gb versions, Lair isn't wasting 25gb. Besides, just because a game uses up 50gb doesn't mean its not being wasted. Lots of space used =/= good game

Actually in the preview of the game IGN gave, they said the game had a lot more than fighting, which they were very happy about. Here is a link:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/804/804704p1.html

Why do all of you judge a game so harshly even before it hits stores? You don't even try to educate yourself about anything in the game whatsoever.

Im pretty sure he was meant to write that in pink. He was trying to prove leo-J's point wrong with sarcasm.

Heavenly sword is getting alot of hype on the ps network, and every time I got against someone in resistance I write heavenly sword to make them get into it(over 1 thousand people already have responded). Besides its not fighting only, its adventure.

mM
leo-j said:
Rath said:
akuma587 said:
sieanr said:
leo-j said:
We have a blu-ray disc. The game is said to use 25gb of the space. The other 25gb is just a waste of nothing on the disc. Riding a dragon with the six axis at 30fps is a piece of crud. The graphcis may be OMG!! CRISIS ON A DRAGON!!, but filying around ONLY sucks, look at warhawk, it used to be a flight only and they took that out because gamers wouldn't like it. Unless the game is 60fps I wont be buying.

Heavenly Sword is only fighting, what a piece of crap. With all the space on a BD you think they could have you do more than fight with swords. Fighting people ONLY sucks, look at Dynasty Warriors.

BTW, BD's come in 25gb and 50gb versions, Lair isn't wasting 25gb. Besides, just because a game uses up 50gb doesn't mean its not being wasted. Lots of space used =/= good game

Actually in the preview of the game IGN gave, they said the game had a lot more than fighting, which they were very happy about. Here is a link:

Why do all of you judge a game so harshly even before it hits stores? You don't even try to educate yourself about anything in the game whatsoever.

Im pretty sure he was meant to write that in pink. He was trying to prove leo-J's point wrong with sarcasm.

Heavenly sword is getting alot of hype on the ps network, and every time I got against someone in resistance I write heavenly sword to make them get into it(over 1 thousand people already have responded). Besides its not fighting only, its adventure.

So in other words its appealing to people who already own a PS3?

“The Hardcore of the Peach is its pits. Try to get the whole fruit!”

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

“You don’t play Graphics, you look at them.”

- Unknown

“Casual Gaming = Anything that’s not an FPS”

- Sony Fandom

MikeB said:

@ Weezy 

Lair already got clowned by EGM.

I am not sure yet if Lair will clown EGM instead. Some of the latest videos look amazing, I'm still openminded about the controls, some people hate the motion sensing option in Motorstorm but even my girlfriend manages to win races without crashing using it (Controlling Motorcycles with motion sensing is hardcore hard though). Sixaxis control for flight seems promising to me.

Super Ruba Duck also got some bad reviews due to motion sensing. But I had lots of fun playing the game
with my girlfriend, makes me wonder if the reviewers just lacked the skill. We earned the golden ducky some time ago, I would love the game would get an expansion pack. 

No one can clown EGM.  Especially not by some PS3 game they rated  5.0-6.5.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

akuma587 said:
sieanr said:
leo-j said:

Actually in the preview of the game IGN gave, they said the game had a lot more than fighting, which they were very happy about.  Here is a link:

Why don't any of you learn about something called reading comprehension? You don't even try to see if something in a post isn't meant to be taken literally whatsoever.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

Follow up on the EGM score, Garnett Lee reacts to the commotion surrounding their scores on the 1up podcast, giving a few more reasons for his score (he gave it a 5.0, which is "average" on the EGM scale).

http://download.gamevideos.com/Podcasts/081007.mp3
(The Lair bit starts at around 0h:45m:40s)

This guy is full of crap... This game isn't great... it's like Motorstorm... yeah... It definitely sucks. No soul...

What a dumbass...

kber81 said:
This guy is full of crap... This game isn't great... it's like Motorstorm... yeah... It definitely sucks. No soul...
What a dumbass...

One dumbass played the game and gave it a score. Another one didn't play it and blindly says the game is great. Which should I listen to? hummmmmmmm...

You should actually play the game before you make comments like these. Your credibility goes down by way too much if you keep trying.

rubido said:

One dumbass played the game and gave it a score. Another one didn't play it and blindly says the game is great. Which should I listen to? hummmmmmmm...

You should actually play the game before you make comments like these. Your credibility goes down by way too much if you keep trying.

There is also dumbass who definitely won't buy this game, won't play it but he want to believe this game is poor to feel better.

I didn't trust this guy before because I read positive review about Lair in reliable source (regards being blind). One think is obviuos if this game is like Motorstorm this guy is just pathetic with his 5.0... way he speaks clearly shows he is anty-sony hype. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the guy who gave 5.0 to Killzone Liberation in this freaking EGM

Sporticus, can I just say I love your avatar? Although I don't think I could play paper mario again without some interesting thoughts (Paper Mario 2 is already disturbing enough)

also, can everyone please stop calling everyone who doesn't like Sony/MS Gballzack? I don't like em, but that doesn't make me her. She wasn't even that much of a troll, there have been much bigger trolls.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!