By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What's the scoop on Lair?

afree_account said:
windbane said:
Sporticus said:
ckmlb said:
leo-j said:

As for some peoples' criticism of EGM not reviewing final code...they always review final code, unless the developer suddenly decides to halt production in order to fix the gameplay like Factor 5 has hopefully done.

I agree with you!

Game magazines don't review betas but games with golds or near gold status, they are asking for it officially!

I guess factor five was "testing the waters" with egm.

If egm had approved the game they wouldn't have halted the production.

Hopefully.  Their excuse was they are adding online features, but surely they had that planned out before... 

Around the Network

"I guess factor five was "testing the waters" with egm."

or commiting career suicide.

those scores are gonna make ppl who preordered the game cry.

and something that was a for sure buy for some ps3 owners is now a rent first.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

weezy said:
"I guess factor five was "testing the waters" with egm."

or commiting career suicide.

those scores are gonna make ppl who preordered the game cry.

and something that was a for sure buy for some ps3 owners is now a rent first.

why dont we just shut up and wait and see. Theres more then just Lair coming out in the next month. We have Heavenly Sword, and Warhawk for example. Lets wait and see the scores. I rather disagree with EGM anyways as they said the N64 starwars games were crap but I loved the N64 games. I still play them every once in a blue moon. So does many other people. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

EGM explains why Lair’s review was awful:
http://gamers-creed.com/?p=324

@ Soulreaver

From the reasons given:

"They thought the dragon was a re- skinned x-wing"

Everyone can see that's nonsense. As for the game not being innovative, I don't know any similar game with such environmental scale with flying creatures. I can mention endless rather similar FPS games, of which some are quite excellent and enjoyable, nomatter if they are innovative or not.

Doesn't sound too objective thus far. I hope other reviewers do a better job explaining why the game is below average, if they decide to give it a low rating. I'm still open minded with regard to getting this game.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

GOOD
They said motion control was cool.
The ground combat was well done.
No mention of frame rate indicating it was stable.
They liked the epic scope of the game.

BAD
They thought the dragon was a re- skinned x-wing
The dragon shooting fireballs was odd and wasn’t realistic enough
The game had no map and someone asked if the graphics were good and he said “its High Def” and he didn’t like the colors used,everything was brown and Grey.
They didn’t like the art style and said the game lacked innovation

For me reasons they listed are faint and totally non objective. They don't like fireballs... Crap.

MikeB said:
@ Soulreaver

From the reasons given:

"They thought the dragon was a re- skinned x-wing"

Everyone can see that's nonsense. As for the game not being innovative, I don't know any similar game with such enviromental scale with flying creatures. I can mention endless rather similar FPS games, of which some are quite excellent and enjoyable, nomatter if they are innovative or not.

Doesn't sound too objective thus far. I hope other reviewers do a better job explaining why the game is below average, if they decide to give it a low rating. I'm still open minded with regard to getting this game.

I think it has less to do with the game not being okay and more to do with it being overhyped. A few months ago, anytime a discussion about why the PS3 sales would turn around before the end of the year, Lair was one of the games always listed by fanboys. Sure, it'll probably sell okay and be fun for those who like this type of game but everything released about the game by reviewers seems to suggest it won't be moving many consoles. It'll end up being burried by Heavenly Sword sales. It's just like how Killzone was a game that sold well but was still crap because it was overhyped by fanboys who wanted their own Halo series. Sure, the storyline might be good but all you ever hear about is how glitched it was. I'd never consider a game glitched to that extent to be even slightly worth buying.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

@ ceres

I totally agree. These guys just don't like the hype. They gave 5.0 to Killzone Liberation... It's around 8.0 everywhere else. 

Soulreaver, that article is wrong. I have the EGM in front of me, complaints:

-Motion controls are very bad and imprecise. "It's not just the air-based combat that will make you want to send your controller in actual flight."

-Ground combat sucks "They are an unsatisfying struggle with the camera."

-Targeting system sucks "The lock on system often sent my beast in random directions when I targeted a special kill."

-In game movies are badly timed and interrupt the flow of the game "The frequent midmission cinemas left me disoriented."

-There is no map so you never know where you are going "At least those titles had a radar, Lair's single guide arrow makes finding the next objective an exercise in futility."

-The epic feeling of the game is destroyed by invisible walls that limit you to a surprisingly small battle area, quote "Lair feels like it's trapped in a cave."

-Game is an unoriginal clone of their old games "Free to create an original project, how does Factor 5 wind up building a cliche-riddled Lord of the Rings reinterpretation of its Star Wars games?"

Honestly it sounds like they had quite a few very valid complaints. Good thing we have fanboys around though to tell us EGM is wrong about a game the fanboys have never played. Otherwise we would have believed the respected video game publication's reasonable analysis of the game.