By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What protential game can challenge Wii Resort as the top selling game of 09

Paul_Warren said: 

No, it will be remembered as a mediocre game that was bundled with an average console that sold primarily to nongamers based on word of mouth.  I was working at McDonald's a while back and there were employees saying, "We want a Wii.  We want a Wii."  Had these people ever beat Super Mario Brothers on the NES?  No.  Had they ever beaten one of the Final Fantasies on the SNES?  No.  Could they understand stories like those in GTA (without it turning them into criminals or giving some reason to not like the game because it's Unchristian), Metal Gear Solid, or Bioshock?  Most likely not.  Yet here they all were wanting Wiis based on nothing more than word of mouth and knowing that they were relatively inexpensive in comparison to the other consoles yet difficult to obtain thus heightening the demand for the Wii.

If all the third parties shift to developing clones of games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit simply because they sell well on the Wii, then it would be the end of gaming as an art form and eventually lead to another video game crash like the one in the early eighties.  That is why I am opposed to it.

I've been playing games my whole life, from the old Sierra point and click adventure games, wing commander, NES, Master System, SNES, N64 and except for an Xbox I was given for Christmas I get bored with games these days. The Wii is the first console I have bought since the N64 and even though Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best games I've ever played, plus I own Zelda, Mario Kart, Zack & Wiki, etc, Wii Sports is still the game I play the most. You may think it's basic, but I'm still learning new techniques in all the sports.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Around the Network

Seriously, the only game that has like an outside shot (and I mean slim) of outselling either WSR, Wii Fit is the total combined multiplatform sales from COD Modern Warfare 2.

If that game can somehow pull in Halo like sales on the 360 in Nov/Dec and also become the best selling games on the PS3 at the same time (both scenario is very possible, BTW), then it might have an outside chance.

Single platform no, but a combined sales from the 360/PS3 will give it like a 50%, and if you add PC to the mixed, then I could see about a 75%.

@RayRay: Nope, not a slight chance.

Gran Turismo 5 /end thread

NightstrikerX said:
JaggedSac said:
What can you do in this new Sports title?

The title will be the release of the Wii-motion plus attachment for the wiimote, Allowing for 1:1 motion capture and expanding on what the wii can already do. Like Wii-sports, the games are supposedly designed towards helping core and expanded audience gamers get the most out of the wiimotion plus attachment. So far 3 games have been confirmed.

Kendo Swordfighting
Frisbee
Jet Skiing

According to Nintendo, a total of 10 games is supposed to appear in the final product. Although the other 7 games have not been announced yet.

Wow that sounds lame! I hope the other 7 games are good because frisbee, kendo swordfighting, and jet skiing sounds lame as hell.

Around the Network
coolestguyever said:
NightstrikerX said:
JaggedSac said:
What can you do in this new Sports title?

The title will be the release of the Wii-motion plus attachment for the wiimote, Allowing for 1:1 motion capture and expanding on what the wii can already do. Like Wii-sports, the games are supposedly designed towards helping core and expanded audience gamers get the most out of the wiimotion plus attachment. So far 3 games have been confirmed.

Kendo Swordfighting
Frisbee
Jet Skiing

According to Nintendo, a total of 10 games is supposed to appear in the final product. Although the other 7 games have not been announced yet.

Wow that sounds lame! I hope the other 7 games are good because frisbee, kendo swordfighting, and jet skiing sounds lame as hell.

Says the guy who is lame enough to call himself "coolestguyever"

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

He is also lame enough to vote for himself in the coolest user thread.