By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What protential game can challenge Wii Resort as the top selling game of 09

It seems impossible. Wii Sports part 2 in peoples mind, New sensoring device included, has the word Wii in the title, is published by Nintendo, and have from March till the end of the year to sell.

Seriously, the only 2 games that could protentially challenge Wii Resort is Wii Fit and maybe Mario Kart Wii. This game cold sell 15-20 million copies in the world in 2009.

Just look at what Mario Kart and Wii Fit did this year. They are the two best selling game of the year and the scary part is they will still sell up to year 2012.

Shoot, the top 5 spots might all belonged to the Wii with Wii Resort, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, and maybe a new Mario and Zelda game.

Is there any David vs Goliath upset that might be in the hat for 360 or PS3? It pains me to say it because I hate casual games but I just don't see it.

Around the Network

I agree, it'll be between WiiFit and Wii Sports Resort. I'll put a +1 to WSR, because I already own WiiFit.

No I don't think anything will be close in matter of sales next year.

How can anyone say they don't like Wii Sports.
I think WSR is bound to do much better than Wii Fit but only because it is cheaper and is called Wii Sports.

Is it a tough sell to the "everybody" category? Yes it is, they won't understand the significance of the WM+ attachment straight away. But this won't matter at all, clearly.

There is no challenger qualified enough to usurp the power of that 3 letter word. Maybe RE5 will be potential but after GTA4's mistaken glory i don't think anyone, even Pachter, has the balls to call that out right now.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Mario Kart Wii is certainly in the running.

And Wii Play, of course, but nobody likes to talk about that.

Around the Network

Seriously, the only shot I can see is the combined multiplatform sale of a Grand Theft Auto 5 releasing in January of 09. And even that might not be enough.

Wii Fit has a chance.

Hello? GRAN TURISMO 5! I will go out on a limb and say it will have a bigger opening week than Wii Sports Resort. I'm adding that to my 2009 predictions (link in my sig)

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Wii Sports!!

Anyway, there is nothing released in 2009 that can match WSR.

GT is released too late (and won't sell enough regardless)

none of the Halo games can

GTA will not be released in 09, and even if it does, it still wouldnt do it

Starcraft 2 could... but we'd never know it.