By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What protential game can challenge Wii Resort as the top selling game of 09

Bear with me here.

According to VGChartz, GT3 sold just shy of 15 million. The PS2 is at 123 million right now. Quick math puts GT3 roughly around the 12-13% attach rate mark, if I'm not mentally challenged. Now let's say Wii Sports Resort sells 12 million. Could sell a lot more, but I'm being modest. Now let's say Gram Turismo 5 sells more. Let's put it at 13 million. This year the PS3 sold about 10 million units, so next year let's put it at 12 million to be nice. That brings the total to 30 million. That's an attach rate way higher than 13%. The best selling entry in the series on the best selling console of all time is at 13%, and people are expecting GT5, on the worst selling of the 3 Sony platforms to push an attach ratio of well over 40% in less than a year?

Around the Network

Paul_warren you sound like a typical fanboy. How dare a game that I don't like sell well. It must be people who know nothing about games. Or maybe the real reason is that you hate the fact that the almighty PS3 is being smashed by an "average console". Helped along by a "mediocre game" that will smash alot of records including highest selling game of all time. Sounds mediocre to me.

Paul_Warren said:

No, it will be remembered as a mediocre game that was bundled with an average console that sold primarily to nongamers based on word of mouth.  I was working at McDonald's a while back and there were employees saying, "We want a Wii.  We want a Wii."  Had these people ever beat Super Mario Brothers on the NES?  No.  Had they ever beaten one of the Final Fantasies on the SNES?  No.  Could they understand stories like those in GTA (without it turning them into criminals or giving some reason to not like the game because it's Unchristian), Metal Gear Solid, or Bioshock?  Most likely not.  Yet here they all were wanting Wiis based on nothing more than word of mouth and knowing that they were relatively inexpensive in comparison to the other consoles yet difficult to obtain thus heightening the demand for the Wii.

If all the third parties shift to developing clones of games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit simply because they sell well on the Wii, then it would be the end of gaming as an art form and eventually lead to another video game crash like the one in the early eighties.  That is why I am opposed to it.

Dude... Wii Sports will be remembered as the game that turned the Wii into the unstoppable monster it has become. It is this generation's Mario. That's how it will be remembered.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Oh and by the way Paul_warren Nintendo is the reason we haven't had a market crash yet. If it was left up to Sony we would all be up sh*t creek

Wii Sports
Wii Play
Wii Fit
MK Wii

They stand a chance.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
Around the Network

No, I'm pretty sure that Wii Sports and Wii Fit's Game Rankings scores will never be any higher than they are right now. Wii Sports is in no way comparable to Super Mario Brothers, Mario Galaxy, or Mario 64 as far as being quality games or system sellers. People bought the NES to play SMB, they bought the N64 to play Mario 64, and Mario Galaxy along with Zelda: Twlight Princess, Super Smash Brothers, and I'll toss a bone to Mario Kart Wii because some longtime Nintendo fans bought it because they had been longtime followers of the series (hopefully that was why it sold so well instead of a piece of plastic) have been reasons that people bought the Wii. On the other hand, Wii Sports is always going to be remembered for selling so well only because it was a pack-in.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Just strictly speaking of Wii Sports Resort's sales. I think it will get an 85 from Ign which will generate a bit of heat for the game. However, I also expect that WSR will be the game that demonstrates that the Wii's new demographic of gamers don't buy that many games. So, if anyone is really expecting WSR to sell that well I think they'll be shocked. The new demographic will look at, think "I've already got one Wii Sports game," and not purchase it. WSR's numbers won't really pick up unless Nintendo makes it into a pack-in. Otherwise, it will sell less than 10 million copies.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 maybe? Both 360 and Ps3 should be at really good prices at Xmas and it could once again be a huge xmas hit with even greater sales then before.

That does require Wii Sports resort to like, sell less then any educated guess would realistically put it, but I wouldn't write off the next COD. Especially if the PS3 is sub $250 next xmas.

Little do people know that Wii Sports was going to be named "Sports Demo Pack" until Iwata decided to rub the nay sayers face in it for mocking his favorite word; "Wii".

The new motion device is allegedly core, so says the hardcore... and the resonance of that resolution amungst the core seems near total - so the question isn't why wouldn't they buy it but why would they... they being the expanded audience.

Remember Wii Fit is selling Wii's meaning, people are buying Wii's to play Wii Fit, these people didn't own Wii's before. (In a lot of cases but not all.) IF anything this new motion device is geared at those who are aware of it's purpose, aka the technophiles, it could litterally be the sword that stabs the HD core demographic in the heart and lets the blood pour out steadily.

Keywords: Immersion and realism

People in the hardcore are already noting how the Wiimote is it's own controller for FPS's that is more realistic then both the Mouce and Dual Analog. V_V If that takes off then hur, hur, hur.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Paul_Warren said:
Just strictly speaking of Wii Sports Resort's sales. I think it will get an 85 from Ign which will generate a bit of heat for the game. However, I also expect that WSR will be the game that demonstrates that the Wii's new demographic of gamers don't buy that many games. So, if anyone is really expecting WSR to sell that well I think they'll be shocked. The new demographic will look at, think "I've already got one Wii Sports game," and not purchase it. WSR's numbers won't really pick up unless Nintendo makes it into a pack-in. Otherwise, it will sell less than 10 million copies.

Or the exact opposite happens. A large chunk of the people who enjoy Wii Sports have no idea what IGN is. They see a new game that says "Wii Sports" on it and they jump at it because they enjoyed the original so much.