By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Wii outsell PS2?

i'll say it again: just because wii is selling faster doesnt mean its gonna outsell PS2. GBA was selling faster than PS2 as well but it didnt outsold it.

Around the Network

Wii aint no GBA..Nintendo cut the legs out on that system way too early. Nintendo consoles, when market leading tend to be supported for 13+yrs.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I don't think anyone is arguing that is the fastest selling console of all time, what they're wondering is whether it has staying power, a question only time will answer.
The Kawasaki ZX12-R is the fastest accelerating bike in the world but it doesn't have the highest top speed, spot the difference?

Arius Dion said:
Wii aint no GBA..Nintendo cut the legs out on that system way too early. Nintendo consoles, when market leading tend to be supported for 13+yrs.

GBA is still selling, so nintendo didnt cut the legs.It just had major drop out for some reason.

And yes nintendo market leading consoles last up to 15 years but they prety much die after 8 years. NES lasted till 2003 but the last game made for it was in 1995. For SNES, i dont even know if it had any games after 16bit era

Microsoft once claimed that 75% of a console's sales came when it went below $200. If that actually holds, then yes; the Wii will outsell the PS2.

Nintendo is strange, though. In previous generations, 100% of Nintendo's console sales have come when the machine was under $200. So the 75% pattern might not hold. Then again, it might.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
dtewi said:
CGI-Quality said:
dtewi said:
Quaay said:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

... No. No console ever will.

Give reasons, because 140 million isn't an impressive number. I mean, 6 billion people in the world? Wow, that record could be shattered...

I know it is your first post, but please try to give reasons and quality posts.

Well, no console before it had done it, so it is impressive. It's just as impressive, however, as the Wii being the fastest selling console in history. I think both milestones should be credited.

I do agree though that his post does lack some substance. Maybe he'll elaborate.

But there have been only seven generations, and to make that statement is insane. How many consoles have there been? 40? 50?

It's still impressive my friend, by every stretch of the term. Any milestone is impressive, the industry needs more. For instance...

Wii - Fastest selling console on the market

Xbox 360 - Best selling American console in history/reached 1mill units sold in a region where it was deemed impossible

PlayStation 2 - Currently the highest selling system at 140mill units WW

PlayStation - First console to reach 100mill units sold WW

Halo Wars - Goes on to make people recognize the RTS genre. Makes a splash on home consoles.

Halo 3 - Best selling HD exclusive this gen and the best selling shooter on the market on a single platform

These things are worth noting bro, they keep the industry alive!

No love for other consoles and games?

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

no, the wii fad is wearing off, and places all over the world are decreasing in wii sales.

CGI-Quality said:
Falcon095 said:
CGI-Quality said:
dtewi said:
CGI-Quality said:
dtewi said:
Quaay said:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

... No. No console ever will.

Give reasons, because 140 million isn't an impressive number. I mean, 6 billion people in the world? Wow, that record could be shattered...

I know it is your first post, but please try to give reasons and quality posts.

Well, no console before it had done it, so it is impressive. It's just as impressive, however, as the Wii being the fastest selling console in history. I think both milestones should be credited.

I do agree though that his post does lack some substance. Maybe he'll elaborate.

But there have been only seven generations, and to make that statement is insane. How many consoles have there been? 40? 50?

It's still impressive my friend, by every stretch of the term. Any milestone is impressive, the industry needs more. For instance...

Wii - Fastest selling console on the market

Xbox 360 - Best selling American console in history/reached 1mill units sold in a region where it was deemed impossible

PlayStation 2 - Currently the highest selling system at 140mill units WW

PlayStation - First console to reach 100mill units sold WW

Halo Wars - Goes on to make people recognize the RTS genre. Makes a splash on home consoles.

Halo 3 - Best selling HD exclusive this gen and the best selling shooter on the market on a single platform

These things are worth noting bro, they keep the industry alive!

No love for other consoles and games?

Those were a set of examples, not the whole scenario...

Read the post again and try to understand it's meaning, not just the amount of examples.

I know, I was just messing with you

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

BladeOfGod said:
Arius Dion said:

GBA is still selling, so nintendo didnt cut the legs.It just had major drop out for some reason.

And yes nintendo market leading consoles last up to 15 years but they prety much die after 8 years. NES lasted till 2003 but the last game made for it was in 1995. For SNES, i dont even know if it had any games after 16bit era

The reason of why the GBA suddenly stopped selling is the DS, why buy a GBA when you can get a DS that ALSO plays GBA games. I assure you that if the PS3 still had BC the PS2 sales were different.

@CGI

No problem

CGI-Quality said:
jmcraddock said:
no, the wii fad is wearing off, and places all over the world are decreasing in wii sales.

How many times does the Wii have to prove itself to be anything but a fad?

It can't. The fratcore will redefine 'fad' as many times as it takes to exclude the Wii. That's how desperate struggles to feel superior work.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.