By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Wii outsell PS2?

It'll be close, but I'm going to have to say no. Its 85? million away...

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
tedsteriscool said:

In it's 3rd year on the market though. As a reference, where was the PS2 in July of 2003?

Well, if the Wii sells at the same pace it has done since launch for the next 3 years, it'll be a bit over 100 million by year 6. PS2 will probably slow way down at 140 million (imo). This means Wii will take approximately 8-9 years on the market to catch it if it continues selling at the same pace it's been selling at. Do you think Nintendo will keep the Wii around for that long?

CGI-Quality said:
tedsteriscool said:
CGI-Quality said:
tedsteriscool said:

In it's 3rd year on the market though. As a reference, where was the PS2 in July of 2003?

Well, if the Wii sells at the same pace it has done since launch for the next 3 years, it'll be a bit over 100 million by year 6. PS2 will probably slow way down at 140 million (imo). This means Wii will take approximately 8-9 years on the market to catch it if it continues selling at the same pace it's been selling at. Do you think Nintendo will keep the Wii around for that long?

Unlikely, and beyond that the Wii won't sell at those #s for that many years. The Wii will have a few titles under it's belt by gen's end though, it was the fastest selling console in history, and won the 7th generation of gaming.

True statement. Wii will probably hold the title of "fastest to 100 million" as well as "winner of the 7th generation" as you said. I'm doubting it'll pass PS2, but it will be #1 in the respects mentioned in my prior sentence.

Khuutra said:
Squilliam said:
Do you guys realise that if you count the Xbox 360 as the start of the generation then had the PS2 started on that exact same date it would be the 2nd best selling console of the generation, only 10M short of the Wii infact?

2005 and 2006 were really good years, though. Wasn't the PS2 stomping the living Hell out of the 360 for a year?

Yep! But the question remains about the stability of the Wiis sales. Since the Wiis market dominant positions seem less broad than the PS2 I still wonder how quickly or how long it will take to saturate these key segments. 

Tease.

Yeap, it'll do it. Even if you wanna call this an "off" year for Wii, it will still ship more consoles than PS2 did in its best year.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

Right now I really doubt it, unless Nintendo can keep it going until 2015.

^_^

Yes, in the end I think it will.

Wii has sold nearly 20 million more consoles than the PS2 did in the same amount of time, even wit hthe current off year, plus Wii has yet to bring out the big guns of price drops, worldwide availiblity of new colors or a 2d mario

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

CGI-Quality said:
Arius Dion said:
Yeap, it'll do it. Even if you wanna call this an "off" year for Wii, it will still ship more consoles than PS2 did in its best year.

Willing to bet $ on it?

Absolutely..But as it stands I'm already in a bet with Slimebeast..take a number, as I don't mind taking money from those willing to throw it away

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Wii has sold nearly 20 million more consoles than the PS2 did in the same amount of time, even wit hthe current off year, plus Wii has yet to bring out the big guns of price drops, worldwide availiblity of new colors or a 2d mario

Exactly, I don't know why people over look this. Also it won't have to be on the market as long if it sells more in a shorter amount of time..Though I think if any console has a chance at a "10 year plan" it ain't the PS3. It's the Wii.