By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Wii outsell PS2?

If it doesn't, it most likely means that the economic crisis is MUCH worse than most are expecting.

In other words, even if you don't like the Wii you should want it to outsell the PS2. Isn't it great?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Snake said:
saicho said:
Snake said:
PalmiNio said:
Snake said:

1.Nintendo never had a console which had lifespan more than 8 years (maybe GameBoy and NES)

2.Tell me please, what makes you think Wii will outsell PS2? Just because it had better 2 better years than PS2?  First 3 years are always easy. Sega Dreamcast had the best first year back then and it had more than 50% of the market, and what happened to Dreamcast?  The same will happen to Wii. Wii MIGHT outsell PS1 but it could NEVER outsell PS2. Wii has sold for its 2 years 45 million systems. Let's say it will sell 45 million in next 2 years (probably won't happened) that would be 90 million systems. And lets say it would sell 45 million two years after that(won't happened for sure) it would be 135 million systems. And let's say PS2 would sell 10 million systems in those 4 years. IT WOULD BE LIKE THIS:

Wii:135 million systems sold.

PS2:155 million systems sold.

3. I admit i made a mistake about GTA series and wii games i just checked Wikipedia 

4.i was replaying to this guy who sad this:''Lifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of  consoles by 12/31/2015  

LOL!!! In 2015 will be 9th generation of video game consoles. you must be a BIG wii fanboy when you believe wii will last three generations                                          

What dreamworld are u in?

DC never really had 50% marketshare. They where the first so they in one way had 100% and went down. Wii has gone from 0% to nearly 50% being one year after 360 and on same time as PS3.

DC never had even close to the sales of Wii. Did DC even reach 5 millions?

Wii will sell more then just 3 more years, a big success like Wii wonät die after 5 year - no leadning console in a generation has died just after 5 years.

Just like PS2 the sales will increase more year 3 and 4. You totally forgetting that the machine is still att 249 dollars and just like very generation more sales can be created by cutting price. What would a 199 dollar Wii sell? what woudl a 149 dollar Wii sell?

Wii is better in the first 2 then PS2 despite no pricecut, despite not being the first in it's generation and despite that both competitiors are selling better then number 2 and number 3 last generation.

Wii wonät just fade and die within 2 years.

No, but DC also had most of the market, more than PS1 back than JUST LIKE WII NOW. It had best launch day back then JUST LIKE WII. DC sold bad because it didn't had DVD player. Nintendo's console lifespan were never long as Sony's console. Wii is showing its true potential while PS3 didn't show 15% of its true potential. PS3 is not bad console PS3 is slow console,need more time to show its potential. 145 million is too much for any console. If Wii had m longer lifespan it would probably outsell PS2 but since its Nintendo console...no way. Wii won't die within 2 year it will die within 4 years.Price Cuts won't help the console which is cheap already. Price Cut would only help PS3 and it helped 360 A LOT.

GameBoy couldn't outsell PS2 and it was fastest selling handheld  back then and everybody was thinking GBA would be best selling handheld.And ITS NOT.

1. not sure how you can make comparison between the sale for Wii and the sale for DC. DC never took off after launch.

2. With the popularity of Wii, Nintendo probably won't release a new console until 2012 which would be 4 years later. I certainly don't expect Wii would start selling zero unit from the day the next Nintendo console is released.

3. how about swap GB/GBA with DS? Would it be possible then?

DS might outsell it, but GBA won't. Didin't you hear. Nintendo is already making succesor for the Wii. i lost the link so i can't show you the source. but just google: ''Wii succesor'' and you'll probably find out. Nintendo is not like Sony. Sony wants to take advantage of the console to the maximum, while Nintendo is always making new consoles. i don't know why. Nintendo would probably beat Sony if they had loneger lifespan consoles.

All console makers would take advantage of the console to the maximmum especially Nintendo since they are all in the market to make money. Nintendo didn't discontinue SNES right after N64 was released or N64 right after Gamecube was released or GBA right after DS was released. I'm not sure where you got the impression Nintendo doesn't like to take advantage of the console to the maximum.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Snake said:
saicho said:
Snake said:
PalmiNio said:
Snake said:

1.Nintendo never had a console which had lifespan more than 8 years (maybe GameBoy and NES)

2.Tell me please, what makes you think Wii will outsell PS2? Just because it had better 2 better years than PS2?  First 3 years are always easy. Sega Dreamcast had the best first year back then and it had more than 50% of the market, and what happened to Dreamcast?  The same will happen to Wii. Wii MIGHT outsell PS1 but it could NEVER outsell PS2. Wii has sold for its 2 years 45 million systems. Let's say it will sell 45 million in next 2 years (probably won't happened) that would be 90 million systems. And lets say it would sell 45 million two years after that(won't happened for sure) it would be 135 million systems. And let's say PS2 would sell 10 million systems in those 4 years. IT WOULD BE LIKE THIS:

3. I admit i made a mistake about GTA series and wii games i just checked Wikipedia

4.i was replaying to this guy who sad this:''Lifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of  consoles by 12/31/2015  

LOL!!! In 2015 will be 9th generation of video game consoles. you must be a BIG wii fanboy when you believe wii will last three generations                                          

DC never really had 50% marketshare. They where the first so they in one way had 100% and went down. Wii has gone from 0% to nearly 50% being one year after 360 and on same time as PS3.

Wii will sell more then just 3 more years, a big success like Wii wonät die after 5 year - no leadning console in a generation has died just after 5 years.

Just like PS2 the sales will increase more year 3 and 4. You totally forgetting that the machine is still att 249 dollars and just like very generation more sales can be created by cutting price. What would a 199 dollar Wii sell? what woudl a 149 dollar Wii sell?

Wii is better in the first 2 then PS2 despite no pricecut, despite not being the first in it's generation and despite that both competitiors are selling better then number 2 and number 3 last generation.

No, but DC also had most of the market, more than PS1 back than JUST LIKE WII NOW. It had best launch day back then JUST LIKE WII. DC sold bad because it didn't had DVD player. Nintendo's console lifespan were never long as Sony's console. Wii is showing its true potential while PS3 didn't show 15% of its true potential. PS3 is not bad console PS3 is slow console,need more time to show its potential. 145 million is too much for any console. If Wii had m longer lifespan it would probably outsell PS2 but since its Nintendo console...no way. Wii won't die within 2 year it will die within 4 years.Price Cuts won't help the console which is cheap already. Price Cut would only help PS3 and it helped 360 A LOT.

GameBoy couldn't outsell PS2 and it was fastest selling handheld  back then and everybody was thinking GBA would be best selling handheld.And ITS NOT.

1. not sure how you can make comparison between the sale for Wii and the sale for DC. DC never took off after launch.

2. With the popularity of Wii, Nintendo probably won't release a new console until 2012 which would be 4 years later. I certainly don't expect Wii would start selling zero unit from the day the next Nintendo console is released.

DS might outsell it, but GBA won't. Didin't you hear. Nintendo is already making succesor for the Wii. i lost the link so i can't show you the source. but just google: ''Wii succesor'' and you'll probably find out. Nintendo is not like Sony. Sony wants to take advantage of the console to the maximum, while Nintendo is always making new consoles. i don't know why. Nintendo would probably beat Sony if they had loneger lifespan consoles.

Except Nintendo never launches first, in fact most gens they launch later than their competitors

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

saicho said:
Snake said:
saicho said:
Snake said:
PalmiNio said:
Snake said:

All console makers would take advantage of the console to the maximmum especially Nintendo since they are all in the market to make money. Nintendo didn't discontinue SNES right after N64 was released or N64 right after Gamecube was released or GBA right after DS was released. I'm not sure where you got the impression Nintendo doesn't like to take advantage of the console to the maximum.

As it's been mentioned, NOBODY has maximized their consoles more than Nintendo. Back in the days of the Genesis, Nintendo could have easily dropped the SNES on us. They made us wait almost two years, while they upgraded the chips in the NES to make those games better.

When the PS1 was released, Nintendo waited quite some time to release the Gamecube, instead selling us the ram expansion for the N64 to up the game resolutions.

And again, as has been mentioned, the GBA has been supported for over a decade.

To say that Nintendo will be the first to jump the gun and put out a new system is to ignore their history. It's laughable, really.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Shanobi said:
saicho said:
Snake said:
saicho said:
Snake said:
PalmiNio said:
Snake said:

As it's been mentioned, NOBODY has maximized their consoles more than Nintendo. Back in the days of the Genesis, Nintendo could have easily dropped the SNES on us. They made us wait almost two years, while they upgraded the chips in the NES to make those games better.

When the PS1 was released, Nintendo waited quite some time to release the Gamecube, instead selling us the ram expansion for the N64 to up the game resolutions.

And again, as has been mentioned, the GBA has been supported for over a decade.

To say that Nintendo will be the first to jump the gun and put out a new system is to ignore their history. It's laughable, really.

Then will you please tell me the name of ONE Nintendo console which had a long lifespan like PS1 did. PS1 was out even when N64 was out, when Dreamcast was out,when Gamecube was out and PS1 outsold them all (take that Sony haters). PS1 was out even WHEN XBOX 360 was realised. PS1 was disconnected in 2006. That's 11 years long lifespan.You can't compare GameCube and PS1. Thats another generation. AND THE MAKE US WAITED TWO YEARS??? WOW. That's very long if you ignore the fact that Sony made us wait 6 years for PS2 and 6 years for PS3, and Microsoft made us wait 4 years for 360.

Around the Network
Snake said:

Then will you please tell me the name of ONE Nintendo console which had a long lifespan like PS1 did. PS1 was out even when N64 was out, when Dreamcast was out,when Gamecube was out and PS1 outsold them all (take that Sony haters). PS1 was out even WHEN XBOX 360 was realised. PS1 was disconnected in 2006. That's 11 years long lifespan.You can't compare GameCube and PS1. Thats another generation. AND THE MAKE US WAITED TWO YEARS??? WOW. That's very long if you ignore the fact that Sony made us wait 6 years for PS2 and 6 years for PS3, and Microsoft made us wait 4 years for 360.

Nintendo Family Computer
Manufacturer Nintendo
Type Video game console
Generation Third generation (8-bit era)
Retail availability JP July 15, 1983
US October 18, 1985
CA February 1986
EU September 1, 1986a[›]
EU / AUS 1987a[›]
Discontinued 1995

In the wake of ever decreasing sales and the lack of new software titles, Nintendo of America officially discontinued the NES by 1995. Despite this, Nintendo of Japan kept producing new Nintendo Famicom units up until September 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System

I would like to see Sony keep producing the PS 2 for 20 years like Nintendo did with the NES.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Manufacturer Nintendo
Type Video game console
Generation Fourth generation (16-bit era)
Retail availability JP November 21, 1990
NA August 1991[cn 1]
EU April 11, 1992
AUS July 3, 1992

Nintendo of America ceased production of the SNES in 1999,[35] about two years after releasing Kirby's Dream Land 3 (its last first-party game for the system) on November 27, 1997. In Japan, Nintendo continued production of the Super Famicom until September 2003

The SNES kept in production for 13 years that makes both Nintendo systems that were succesfull with longer lifespan then both Sony´s.

Now I am interested in how you are going to spin this.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

I think some people that claim that Wii does not outsell the PS2 do not belive in its long life span, but seriously industry follows similar patterns it is the dominating console like NES, SNES, PS1 and PS2 that stays on the market forever, and the Wii will continue this trend.

PS3 fans can talk about 10 year life cycle and stuff like that but it's not SOny taht will determine the life span but the market, it will probably follow the steps of N64 and GC. Dominating console does sell for ages, the less succesful ones are quickly replaced by its successors regardless of previous plans made by their manufacturers, ( I bet Ninty thought that n64 will be as succesful as ps 1)

While I think it's likely that at a lower price and with the list of games growing PS3 will start going better and eventually sell more than 100million (but not before the last months of 2013 if Sony guesses all the right moves, most likely towards the end of 2014 if like natural it guesses most good moves but not each one), I'm persuaded Wii will sell more and has a very good chance to exceed PS2 sales, if it stays on the market long enough, it all depends on Nintendo plans on its life and how and when to launch Wii2 and if it has to coexist with Wii1, I think nothing else could stop it.
It's very simple: Sony can save PS3 doing the right moves, but Nintendo with Wii did almost always the best moves since the beginning.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

vaio said:
Snake said:

Nintendo Family Computer
Manufacturer Nintendo
Type Video game console
Generation Third generation (8-bit era)
Retail availability JP July 15, 1983
US October 18, 1985
CA February 1986
EU September 1, 1986a[›]
EU / AUS 1987a[›]
Discontinued 1995

In the wake of ever decreasing sales and the lack of new software titles, Nintendo of America officially discontinued the NES by 1995. Despite this, Nintendo of Japan kept producing new Nintendo Famicom units up until September 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System

I would like to see Sony keep producing the PS 2 for 20 years like Nintendo did with the NES.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Manufacturer Nintendo
Type Video game console
Generation Fourth generation (16-bit era)
Retail availability JP November 21, 1990
NA August 1991[cn 1]
EU April 11, 1992
AUS July 3, 1992

Nintendo of America ceased production of the SNES in 1999,[35] about two years after releasing Kirby's Dream Land 3 (its last first-party game for the system) on November 27, 1997. In Japan, Nintendo continued production of the Super Famicom until September 2003

The SNES kept in production for 13 years that makes both Nintendo systems that were succesfull with longer lifespan then both Sony´s.

Now I am interested in how you are going to spin this.

FIRST, if you look at my other post you will see i told NES and GameBoy are the only Nintendo consoles with long lifespan.

NES lasted 10 years (1985-1995) ONLY because it didn't have competition. If a consoles doesn't have a competition it can last over 100 years. PS1 had a competition against 7 CONSOLES (N64,Sega Saturn, Dreamcast,Xbox,GameCube,Xbox 360) and it had outsold them all. NES had a only 1 console to fight with.that's why it lasted that long.

Why didn't N64 lasted 10 years like NES?Because it had a bigger and stronger competition than NES. PS1 had a competition with the consoles which were 10 times better in graphics and multimedia (Xbox 360, GameCube... )

And how many SNES were sold in 2003? 10 maybe?

Snake said:

FIRST, if you look at my other post you will see i told NES and GameBoy are the only Nintendo consoles with long lifespan.

NES lasted 10 years (1985-1995) ONLY because it didn't have competition. If a consoles doesn't have a competition it can last over 100 years. PS1 had a competition against 7 CONSOLES (N64,Sega Saturn, Dreamcast,Xbox,GameCube,Xbox 360) and it had outsold them all. NES had a only 1 console to fight with.that's why it lasted that long.

Why didn't N64 lasted 10 years like NES?Because it had a bigger and stronger competition than NES. PS1 had a competition with the consoles which were 10 times better in graphics and multimedia (Xbox 360, GameCube... )

And how many SNES were sold in 2003? 10 maybe?

NES lasted as long as it did because it won the gen and every generation winning console has had a long life span since the Atari 2600.

Using the same rules you used to make a list of the PS' competition the NES faced Master System, Atari 7800, Turbo Graphics, Mega Drive, Neo Geo, 3D0, Saturn, and Playstation. Never mind the fact that there were two gen two systems that sold into the 90s and the NES was in fact on sale during gen 6. (nor does it take into account the other gen 3 systems such as PV-1000)

The N64 didn't last longer because it wasn't first, and with one notable exception (Intellivision) systems that don't win generations tend to go away quickly when the gen ends.

While I don't know how many NES were sold in 2003, I can tell you how many PS were sold in 2005 (a year you count as part of PS ten years) - 15k.