By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Wii outsell PS2?

Yes. The Wii will sell double the amount of PS2. Wii will have sold 300 million consoles when it stops selling in 2021. 15 year life of Wii from start to finish.

Around the Network
Snake said:
vaio said:
Snake said:

Then will you please tell me the name of ONE Nintendo console which had a long lifespan like PS1 did. PS1 was out even when N64 was out, when Dreamcast was out,when Gamecube was out and PS1 outsold them all (take that Sony haters). PS1 was out even WHEN XBOX 360 was realised. PS1 was disconnected in 2006. That's 11 years long lifespan.You can't compare GameCube and PS1. Thats another generation. AND THE MAKE US WAITED TWO YEARS??? WOW. That's very long if you ignore the fact that Sony made us wait 6 years for PS2 and 6 years for PS3, and Microsoft made us wait 4 years for 360.

Nintendo Family Computer
Manufacturer Nintendo
Type Video game console
Generation Third generation (8-bit era)
Retail availability JP July 15, 1983
US October 18, 1985
CA February 1986
EU September 1, 1986a[›]
EU / AUS 1987a[›]
Discontinued 1995

In the wake of ever decreasing sales and the lack of new software titles, Nintendo of America officially discontinued the NES by 1995. Despite this, Nintendo of Japan kept producing new Nintendo Famicom units up until September 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System

I would like to see Sony keep producing the PS 2 for 20 years like Nintendo did with the NES.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Manufacturer Nintendo
Type Video game console
Generation Fourth generation (16-bit era)
Retail availability JP November 21, 1990
NA August 1991[cn 1]
EU April 11, 1992
AUS July 3, 1992

Nintendo of America ceased production of the SNES in 1999,[35] about two years after releasing Kirby's Dream Land 3 (its last first-party game for the system) on November 27, 1997. In Japan, Nintendo continued production of the Super Famicom until September 2003

The SNES kept in production for 13 years that makes both Nintendo systems that were succesfull with longer lifespan then both Sony´s.

Now I am interested in how you are going to spin this.

FIRST, if you look at my other post you will see i told NES and GameBoy are the only Nintendo consoles with long lifespan.

NES lasted 10 years (1985-1995) ONLY because it didn't have competition. If a consoles doesn't have a competition it can last over 100 years. PS1 had a competition against 7 CONSOLES (N64,Sega Saturn, Dreamcast,Xbox,GameCube,Xbox 360) and it had outsold them all. NES had a only 1 console to fight with.that's why it lasted that long.

Why didn't N64 lasted 10 years like NES?Because it had a bigger and stronger competition than NES. PS1 had a competition with the consoles which were 10 times better in graphics and multimedia (Xbox 360, GameCube... )

And how many SNES were sold in 2003? 10 maybe?

Nes didn´t last 10 years it lasted 20 years+ just because it stopped selling in the US after 10 years that doesn´t mean it stopped selling, US doesn´t equal the world. In 2005 u could still buy the NES here brand new and you probably still can (haven´t checked but I can if you want) so the NES had 20+ year lifespan and don´t u try and take that away from the NES.

Moving goalpoasts now are we? you never said anything about how many had to be sold the last year/years. You talked about being on the market and being supported by the consoles manufacturer and the fact is that Sony haven´t beaten Nintendo in that department yet and probably never will, but it still can do it with the PS 2.

Nes didn´t have any competition? in wich reality do you live in?

Besides the examples of astro above me, I can tell you that t´he NES was in direct competition with the C64, I assume you weren´t alive at that time and grew up with PS as the main console but *I was alive and I remember it well. So not only did it compete with Sega,C64 and the Amiga but also all the Astrosmash competition then add the life span of 20 years and it was in competition with all the consoles along the way even if it sales between 1995-2005 weren´t that great they were still there.

One last thing US is not the world the NES didn´t come out in 1985 it came out in 1983.

Bad try to spin that away please try again so I can prove you wrong all over again.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

astrosmash said:

Snake said:

FIRST, if you look at my other post you will see i told NES and GameBoy are the only Nintendo consoles with long lifespan.

NES lasted 10 years (1985-1995) ONLY because it didn't have competition. If a consoles doesn't have a competition it can last over 100 years. PS1 had a competition against 7 CONSOLES (N64,Sega Saturn, Dreamcast,Xbox,GameCube,Xbox 360) and it had outsold them all. NES had a only 1 console to fight with.that's why it lasted that long.

Why didn't N64 lasted 10 years like NES?Because it had a bigger and stronger competition than NES. PS1 had a competition with the consoles which were 10 times better in graphics and multimedia (Xbox 360, GameCube... )

NES lasted as long as it did because it won the gen and every generation winning console has had a long life span since the Atari 2600.

Using the same rules you used to make a list of the PS' competition the NES faced Master System, Atari 7800, Turbo Graphics, Mega Drive, Neo Geo, 3D0, Saturn, and Playstation. Never mind the fact that there were two gen two systems that sold into the 90s and the NES was in fact on sale during gen 6. (nor does it take into account the other gen 3 systems such as PV-1000)

The N64 didn't last longer because it wasn't first, and with one notable exception (Intellivision) systems that don't win generations tend to go away quickly when the gen ends.

While I don't know how many NES were sold in 2003, I can tell you how many PS were sold in 2005 (a year you count as part of PS ten years) - 15k.

All those consoles who were in competition with NES were poweful just as NES, some were even less powerfull. GameCube Xbox and 360 were 10 times powerful than PS1. and how its Sony's fault Ninredo didn't won any console war against Sony yet? PS3 will have 10 years long lifespan even if it doesent win this console war. And those 15k still beats 0k which N64 sold (LOL)

No

Snake said:
astrosmash said:

Snake said:

FIRST, if you look at my other post you will see i told NES and GameBoy are the only Nintendo consoles with long lifespan.

NES lasted as long as it did because it won the gen and every generation winning console has had a long life span since the Atari 2600.

Using the same rules you used to make a list of the PS' competition the NES faced Master System, Atari 7800, Turbo Graphics, Mega Drive, Neo Geo, 3D0, Saturn, and Playstation. Never mind the fact that there were two gen two systems that sold into the 90s and the NES was in fact on sale during gen 6. (nor does it take into account the other gen 3 systems such as PV-1000)

The N64 didn't last longer because it wasn't first, and with one notable exception (Intellivision) systems that don't win generations tend to go away quickly when the gen ends.

While I don't know how many NES were sold in 2003, I can tell you how many PS were sold in 2005 (a year you count as part of PS ten years) - 15k.

All those consoles who were in competition with NES were poweful just as NES, some were even less powerfull. GameCube Xbox and 360 were 10 times powerful than PS1. and how its Sony's fault Ninredo didn't won any console war against Sony yet? PS3 will have 10 years long lifespan even if it doesent win this console war. And those 15k still beats 0k which N64 sold (LOL)

"All those consoles who were in competition with NES were poweful just as NES "

The NES was one of the weakest consoles (relative to its time) ever to launch. The CPU was developed in 1975 - eight years before its launch. It clocked at less than half the speed of the gen 2 system Colecovision. From a technical standpoint the NES was a disaster.

"GameCube Xbox and 360 were 10 times powerful than PS1 "

The difference between the systems the PS1 competed with at the end of its life and the systems the NES competed with at the end of its isn't even close. The NES faced much stifer competition relative to its specs. The Xbox's CPU was more than 400x faster than the NES' CPU; the xbox actually had a GPU; the Xbox had 32000x more RAM. (do I really need to go on?)

"how its Sony's fault Ninredo didn't won any console war against Sony yet?"

I don't know how this question relates to the discussion.

"PS3 will have 10 years long lifespan even if it doesent win this console war. And those 15k still beats 0k which N64 sold"

Every console in the history of video games has been dropped very quickly by its manufacturer when they launch its replacement unless that console won its generation. And every generation winner since gen 2 has stuck around at least through the next gen. Why do you think Sony and PS3 are the exception to this?

The reason this has been true for 30 years is that its basis is in simple economics. Does it make more sense to say that PS1 and PS2 lasted for as long as they did (are doing) because of some special Sony policy or because Sony is doing exactly the same thing Nintendo and Atari did for twenty years before them?

And 15K is a whole lot less than NES sold at the same age (1993).

Around the Network
astrosmash said:
Snake said:
astrosmash said:

Snake said:

All those consoles who were in competition with NES were poweful just as NES, some were even less powerfull. GameCube Xbox and 360 were 10 times powerful than PS1. and how its Sony's fault Ninredo didn't won any console war against Sony yet? PS3 will have 10 years long lifespan even if it doesent win this console war. And those 15k still beats 0k which N64 sold (LOL)

"All those consoles who were in competition with NES were poweful just as NES "

The NES was one of the weakest consoles (relative to its time) ever to launch. The CPU was developed in 1975 - eight years before its launch. It clocked at less than half the speed of the gen 2 system Colecovision. From a technical standpoint the NES was a disaster.

"GameCube Xbox and 360 were 10 times powerful than PS1 "

The difference between the systems the PS1 competed with at the end of its life and the systems the NES competed with at the end of its isn't even close. The NES faced much stifer competition relative to its specs. The Xbox's CPU was more than 400x faster than the NES' CPU; the xbox actually had a GPU; the Xbox had 32000x more RAM. (do I really need to go on?)

"how its Sony's fault Ninredo didn't won any console war against Sony yet?"

I don't know how this question relates to the discussion.

"PS3 will have 10 years long lifespan even if it doesent win this console war. And those 15k still beats 0k which N64 sold"

Every console in the history of video games has been dropped very quickly by its manufacturer when they launch its replacement unless that console won its generation. And every generation winner since gen 2 has stuck around at least through the next gen. Why do you think Sony and PS3 are the exception to this?

The reason this has been true for 30 years is that its basis is in simple economics. Does it make more sense to say that PS1 and PS2 lasted for as long as they did (are doing) because of some special Sony policy or because Sony is doing exactly the same thing Nintendo and Atari did for twenty years before them?

And 15K is a whole lot less than NES sold at the same age (1993).

PS3 lifespan was announced by Sony. SCE told PS3 lifespan will be 10 years even if it doesn't win this console war.

''The NES was one of the weakest consoles (relative to its time) ever to launch. The CPU was developed in 1975 - eight years before its launch. It clocked at less than half the speed of the gen 2 system Colecovision. From a technical standpoint the NES was a disaster.''

NES had a ROBOT toy coming with it. and robots are pretty much the best technology (at least for me)

Yes, because Iwata and Nintendo executives want it to, and probably won't take it off the market until it does.

Yes considering it is selling at a faster pace than PS2

╔╦╦╗╔╦╗
║║║║╠╬╣
║║║║║║║ WOULD LIKE TO PLAY!!
╚══╝╚╩╝         

Do you guys realise that if you count the Xbox 360 as the start of the generation then had the PS2 started on that exact same date it would be the 2nd best selling console of the generation, only 10M short of the Wii infact?

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Do you guys realise that if you count the Xbox 360 as the start of the generation then had the PS2 started on that exact same date it would be the 2nd best selling console of the generation, only 10M short of the Wii infact?

2005 and 2006 were really good years, though. Wasn't the PS2 stomping the living Hell out of the 360 for a year?