By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Wii outsell PS2?

i think not...yet, ask me this same question after the holidays, and i may change of opinion.

Around the Network

It's possible. While it's true that the PS2 was, simply put, teh r0xx0rz, the Wii has revolutionized gaming. 103-year-old pensioners in the UK have been reported to be playing it, and both the Queen of England and the President of the United States have a Wii. The casual demographic will ultimately make it the best selling console of all time. Granted, they'll play for 15 minutes then turn it off when 'Gossip Girl' comes on, never to turn it on again, but still.

nah... competetors are starting to kick ninten does asss they really need to do soemthingg

People fail to realize, even with it's "terrible year"

it's still doing the same as PS2's best years.

Here's the question for all of you to think about.
The ps3 and the 360 are 299$.
With another price cut, most likely the PS3 will be 249 and the 360 will be 249 as well. If sony drops the price to 199 after another set of components, microsoft will as well. Now what you have is 200$ HD machines.

They both have motion controllers and they both have HD abilities.
I strongly think that will take market share away from Nintendo.

Around the Network
Gearbox said:
nah... competetors are starting to kick ninten does asss they really need to do soemthingg

Last I looked at it, the Wii has about a 20 million lead and has been outselling every other console consistenly for, well, forever.

Have I missed something? Did the PS3 sell 30 million units last night?

On-Topic: Well, I'm not sure what the legs will be after the Super Wii is released. I'll be bold and say yes.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

ph4nt said:
People fail to realize, even with it's "terrible year"

it's still doing the same as PS2's best years.

Exactly..and depending on this holiday maybe even better in its "terrible year" than PS2 in its best. That is really saying something.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Sales are very different than quality. While I think history will regard the Wii as relatively lacking quality to previous gen winners, its sales give it a good chance at being the best seller.

dtewi said:
Gearbox said:

Last I looked at it, the Wii has about a 20 million lead and has been outselling every other console consistenly for, well, forever.

Have I missed something? Did the PS3 sell 30 million units last night?

On-Topic: Well, I'm not sure what the legs will be after the Super Wii is released. I'll be bold and say yes.

Super Wii...i like how that sounds

inverted3reality said:
Here's the question for all of you to think about.
The ps3 and the 360 are 299$.
With another price cut, most likely the PS3 will be 249 and the 360 will be 249 as well. If sony drops the price to 199 after another set of components, microsoft will as well. Now what you have is 200$ HD machines.

They both have motion controllers and they both have HD abilities.
I strongly think that will take market share away from Nintendo.

They won't have Wii fit or Wii sports or NSMB Wii

Remember, software is more important than price

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)