By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will things turn around for the PS3

I don't know when, but I know that all the anti-PS3 trolls will go back in their caves, and the forums will no longer be in the shitter.

Around the Network

Price cut
when ___ is released
ten year lifecycle

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

in eleven years !

frybread said:
Price cut
when ___ is released
ten year lifecycle

My point exactly.

DMeisterJ said:
I don't know when, but I know that all the anti-PS3 trolls will go back in their caves, and the forums will no longer be in the shitter.

Wii trolls kind of say that being on top doesn't silence trolls. It just enfuriates them. So...you're SOL no matter what!

Around the Network

It's a difficult question to answer perfectly.

When will things turn around for Sony from a unit standpoint? When they drop the price. PS3 sales should pick up and do well once it hits that $300 price point. However, I am unsure how "well" it will do - I expect a 30% YOY increase next year due to a price cut late in 2009.

If the question is 'when will things turn around agains the X360/Wii' - the answer is far more bleak. Sony is pretty much screwed, and I'll tell you why:

As much as I'm optimistic for Sony to drop the price next year, and that it'll spur sales, the problem is that Sony killed themselves by not dropping the price this year. The gap between it and the X360 is 7.3 million consoles, and should grow to 8 million by the end of 2008 (if not a little more). The problem is that when Sony does drop it's price next year - the X360 will also be in a very strong position to lower it's prices too, negating any sort of gap-decreasing measures Sony does.

Because correct me if I'm wrong, but - Sony has no plans to introduce a PS3 slimline model in 2009 which would boost sales. Microsoft does for the X360, though. So although both should be good in terms of price cuts, Microsoft holds better hand with the Slim, which should boost sales. If Sony cannot cut the lead to 5 million consoles by the end of 09...I don't think it's possible for the PS3 to make up that gap by the end of the generation, or the end of relevance.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

The PS3 is not a console that more or less appeals to the majority of gamers so beating the Wii is next to impossible at this rate.

Against the 360, the PS3 is faring decently. It is not as if the 360 sold significantly better at $400. Therefore, some sort of price cut is most likely a step in the right direction. The toughest decision is when to deliver the price drop for the best results.

If that does not prove effective, then Sony has to either improve their marketing and gaming division or limit Microsoft's third party support.

If PS3 was $199.99 like 360, it would barely outsell it.

PREDICTIONS:
360 will outsell PS3 YTD for 2008. (CHECK!)
360 will have the best showing at E3 & TGS in 2009
2009 will be another year for the 360 over PS3
End OF 2009 SALES :: 360 - 40M;  PS3 - 30M; Wii - 70M

Everstar said:

Ok even sence the 360 price cut the 360 has been killing the PS3 in sales. So when is this going to change becuase most people still seem to think it will. I think it will eventuallly mabey? But when will that be i mean its not like right when its the new year the PS3 will all of the sudden start outselling the 360. So when will it happen the next PS3 price cut, KIllzone 2, when?

I am not even going to read this thread. I will just post the correct answer here. I will use mysql syntax as that is most likely to be understood. The PS3 will turn around in=(year(now)+1) That is all. Works everytime, and works pretty much forever.

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

With the volatile market at this point of time Sony has to keep eating dust from Nintendo and MS. With the Yen now higher than the dollar it cost more for Sony to make the PS3 and losing more money per console. The price cut will only make things worse for them. They need to go back to the formula that worked for them in the past when they were up against Dreamcast and GameCube, which is advertisement of their big title games. Other than MGS4 there have really been no commercials for any game. Resistance 2 commercials purely sucked. Look at how MS did with GoW2 and the footage that was in the commercials was not even part of the game. If they want the whole Blue Ray to be a selling factor they need to drop the price of all Blue ray DVD’s 35 bucks is hard pill to swallow. They need to go down to 20 bucks because for 15 bucks and less than 100 bucks for a up convert DVD player suits majority of the people just fine and with the money they save they can get themselves a Wii and be happy. In the past it was hard to keep up with all PS2 games. Now in days publishers are spending more money to make the game as perfect as it can be and no more innovations are out there remember Zone Enders no press release and if you really didn’t look around you would of missed an awesome game. Those are the games I used to love to play on the PS2 no name brand that were just fun to play with some hard core playability. The reason I bought PS3 at launch is for honest Final Fantasy and all of the JRPG and I am still waiting.... Xbox have how JRPG in their list. Sony lost its way and stops making games for its user base and decided to fornicate with Xbox users by making all these Shooters. When I played PS2 I don’t remember ever playing a shooter it was always Action, Simulation, Puzzle, Fighting and off course RPG. Now I have played COD 4, Unreal 3, Resistance 2 and there a bunch more now. I think Sony just needs to hit the reset button and start a new phase for 2009 oh wait its next big title is Killzone 2 hmm... never mind...