By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will things turn around for the PS3

Anyway, next year,
and when, does it matter? PS3 was ouselling x360 WW for whole year, yet x360 was able by the end of the year to make the difference in it`s favour.

So, it`s doesn`t matter when, but PS3 will sell around 20 mln. in 2009. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

When they can at least get the price in line with the 360. Not the cheapest SKU necessarily, but at least one that is more or less comparable.

senatorpjt said:
When they can at least get the price in line with the 360. Not the cheapest SKU necessarily, but at least one that is more or less comparable.

None has a HD drive so none is comparable.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

A price cut coupled with a lot of sexy bundles woul be great

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Bokal said:
senatorpjt said:

The Premium has a 60GB HD Drive and the Elite has a 120GB HD Drive. What are you talking about?

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Bokal said:
senatorpjt said:

The Premium has a 60GB HD Drive and the Elite has a 120GB HD Drive. What are you talking about?

The optical drive, an HD optical drive, i.e. bluray, sorry...

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

Bokal said:
Squilliam said:
Bokal said:
senatorpjt said:

The optical drive, an HD optical drive, i.e. bluray, sorry...

Blu Ray could well end up bringing about the death of the PS3.

A premium piece of tech that most people would rather not have forceably bundled with their video game console.

Blu Ray is a great piece of tech I just think its arrived either 10 years too late or 10 years too early.

Also the price premium for the apparent gain is not going to endear it to the common man.

Most will stick with DVD for the medium term.

a price cut would help a lot, in Japan, I think that a PSthree (slim model) could be really successfull (if the price is lower) especially in Japan. Some exclusives will help : GT5, FF13 Japan (even if it's not exclusive it will sell some hardware), GOW3 and KZ2 too (but less than GT5 imo). The end of the crisis would help too (people would buy more HD stuff)

shams said:
Depends what you mean by "turn it around".

Again - Sony's problem is that they are fighting MS - basically unlimited money.

The PS3 will (should?) do a lot better next year - but MS will be working on some killer blows, to keep the 360 momentum going... and make it REALLY hard for Sony to pull back any of the 360 gains.

We'll have a good idea when the next fiscal year starts around April '09.

Sony is now in the same position it cornered both Nintendo and Sega into. They should be able to leverage their experience to predict Microsoft's movements.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

c0rd said:

Killzone 2 and God of War probably aren't going to move that many consoles. People exaggerate their size, IMO.

Their main weapons left are a price cut and Gran Turismo 5. It's unfortunate the game is taking so long to come out, they could've used the "help" earlier... I firmly believe they're stuck in 3rd place, but sales should pick up again, in time.

Absolutely. Neither franchise has outsold a Gears of War game on a console that enjoyed five times the userbase. 

Are they going to be popular? Sure. Are they console sellers? Hell no, not even on the level of a Metal Gear Solid game.

Gran Turismo 5 better be huge for Sony and Polyphony better get that game out in the next calendar year or Sony will continue to get its ass kicked around.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/