By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will things turn around for the PS3

Bitmap Frogs said:
TheBigFatJ said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

Sony is now in the same position it cornered both Nintendo and Sega into. They should be able to leverage their experience to predict Microsoft's movements.

So?

Even if Sony could properly predict every Microsoft move, what would that mean? They could the the bus coming just before it ran them over?

I'm sure in competitive business environments knowing what your market rivals are planning to do is of no use at all... right?

That depends on whether you can do anything about it.

There is a fundamental problem with this thread in so much that we haven't defined what "turn around" for the PS3 means.  If you mean "perform like the PS2" then obviously things will never turn around for the PS3.  If you mean "surpass the 360's installed base" then things will probably not turn around for the PS3 ever.

If you mean "match or outsell the 360 for a year" then it /could/ happen any year depending on the individual moves Sony and Microsoft make.  Look at this year -- if Sony would have dropped the price of their system to $299, maybe they would have matched Microsoft this year. Maybe they would have beat them slightly.  It's impossible to say for sure, but the bottom line is that Sony is one very big move from reaching the 360.

One thing that will not "turn things around" for the PS3 in my estimation is the release of one or two AAA titles including GT5.  GT5 in Europe/US and FF13 in Japan are the two real system movers the PS3 has coming out, and at least FF13 is unlikely to come out in 2009.  GT5, if it comes out in 2009, would come out during the holiday season.

Even so, many of the people who would buy the PS3 for GT5 and FF13 have already purchased the system.  And the fact that FF13 is coming out on the 360 in the US/Eu is a huge disadvantage for Sony as people who just want FF13 can get it much cheaper on the 360.

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

I'm sure in competitive business environments knowing what your market rivals are planning to do is of no use at all... right?

That depends on whether you can do anything about it.

Oh.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

I don't think it will. Sony can't afford price cuts; $50 in Q4 2009 is possible, but I doubt they will do even that unless they want to sell off stock and make 2009 their last year. Games for 2009 are just more shooter/ action games. PS3 is already competing in that market with 360, and losing. They need to get more genres. LBP is one game and is not enough. With net flix, lips, Banjo Kazooie, your in the movies ect its clear that Microsoft thinks they have got the hardcore action crowd and are now working on casuals/RPG fans. If sony only focuses on one or two genres next year, they will only marginalize themselves further.

PJ4Y said:
The only big advantage that ps3 has, is that there are still so many ps2 owners, that eventually will buy a ps3. And that's a lot of people, they are just waiting for a price cut, especially here in europe.

Except that owning a PS2 has proven to be no guarantee of buying a PS3. Thousands have jumped ship to the 360, Wii, or both, and aren't really looking at the PS3 even in terms of waiting for price cuts. Sony has completely squandered the strength of the PlayStation brand, to the point where your assertion is grasping at straws: there is simply no reason to believe it anymore.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Millennium said:
PJ4Y said:
The only big advantage that ps3 has, is that there are still so many ps2 owners, that eventually will buy a ps3. And that's a lot of people, they are just waiting for a price cut, especially here in europe.

Except that owning a PS2 has proven to be no guarantee of buying a PS3. Thousands have jumped ship to the 360, Wii, or both, and aren't really looking at the PS3 even in terms of waiting for price cuts. Sony has completely squandered the strength of the PlayStation brand, to the point where your assertion is grasping at straws: there is simply no reason to believe it anymore.

I agree.  Most PS2 owners I know either own all of the consoles or they own a 360/Wii.  A lot of PS2 owners were never married to the Playstation brand and a lot of them have lost interest in it.