By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will things turn around for the PS3

c0rd said:

@BHR-3: That scenario doesn't make sense to me.

Sure, the 360 cut price just a few months ago. However, if the PS3 went down to $299, it would look like this:

PS3 w/ 80gb HD: $299
360 w/ 60gb HD: $299

I'm pretty damn sure the 360 costs less to produce - they would easily have room to respond. It may not be right away, perhaps it would be similar to this year (cut before the holidays), but Microsoft is gunning for second place, and they have the money to back it up.

if u look at recent sales u'll c that if there were no arcade skus ps3 vs 360 sales would be pretty damn close since the arcade is 200$ cheaper than the cheapest ps3 idk the exact ratio for arcade pro and elite but im pretty sure it's bout 50% arcade the other 50% are pro and elites

ps3 would outsell 360 ww if a 299 sku or 299 80g were to come out march resulting in a "turn around"  (because the cheapest ps3 would only be 100$ off of the arcade sku) until or if MS cuts prices in Sept i doubt it would cut it march-august 09 if a 50$ MS price cut were to happen in fall 09 sony would have to cut it by 50 also to continue to outsell it for the rest of 09

Play Me

Around the Network
Zombl337 said:
If PS3 was $199.99 like 360, it would barely outsell it.

that's funny b/c in the beginning of 08 the cheapest sku for 360 in NA was 280$ were ps3 was 399$  and the cheapest sku for 360 in EU was £159€199 were as ps3 was £299€399 at the EU differences and the cheapest sku for JP was 27,800yen were as ps3 was 39,980yen at the JP differences

and the ps3 was out selling WW  it didn't even come bundled with a DS3 during that time

The only reason 360 started to outsell ps3 is b/c the margin of difference has grown to 200$ it's just sad that the 360 couldn't outsell it with a 100$ or more difference that they had to get desperate and make the margin to 200$ and in some areas more than that as time goes by MS well run out breath with this strategy as PS3 gets closer to that 100$ or less margin

Play Me

How is dropping the price of each 360 SKU 100$ in 3 years "desperation" ? Sony had dropped the price of the ps2 by that ammunt sooner in its lifespan .

Man, that arcade 360 SKU will be a nightmare for sony and its fans for years to come !!!!!

Kantor said:
Hyruken said:
lilwingman said:
Yeah they have an amazing '09 lineup and that on its own will give them a number of lasting spikes. But no matter what games they have, things won't significantly turn around until they drop the price.

The problem is though you think it is an amazing line-up, does the guy on the street think so? I just cannot see KillZone 2 selling many consoles. 2008 was far better line up of games for the PS3 and it had next to no effect. Games like MGS4,LBP,Resistance 2,GTA4/COD5,GH4 etc.. etc.. there have been loads of high profile games for the system and as much as the fanboys now try and hype KZ2 it will not come near to those games sale figures. The other thing is i have seen the game being played in person at last years E3 and practicaly everyone who watched it with me agreed it looks like a COD4 clone, doesnt actually add anything and is very bland looking. We have seen it time and time again where a game gets hyped by people and then it gets released and gets savaged (Lair/Haze/Heavenly Sword etc.. etc..), then they move onto the next one to hype up. Games such as GOW3 and GT5 i bet will not even be out in 2009, they are miles away from release. I think 2009 for Sony will be the same as 2008 for Sony. The people on games forums talking the talk but people in the street not bothering to walk the walk.

GTA4, CoD4 and GH4 were multiplat, so those are invalid.

MGS4, LBP, R2, VC. The PS3's four excellent exclusives for 2008. Now, 2009. Confirmed:

-Killzone 2
-inFamous
-Gran Turismo 5 (Out by Christmas 2009 in Europe)
-Heavy Rain
-Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
-
Yakuza 3

Likely:

-God of War III
-Ratchet and Clank Future 3

Possible/Not confirmed:

-Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier
-LA Noire
-Final Fantasy Versus XIII
-Massive Action Game (MAG)
-Twisted Metal 2009

Bolded = Definite 90+ game. All the rest will either be 90+ or high 80s. Then, there are more games which will be announced, a likely price cut, a slim model and more consumers ready to move into the seventh gen.

I'd say 2009 will be a much better year than 2008 for the PS3.

EDIT: Who says it's like CoD4? All beta testers I know, all review sites that have the preview build, have said it is unique and incredible. And why include Heavenly Sword in a category with Lair and Haze? Heavenly Sword wasn't bad, just short and a little simplistic. And it hardly got any hype. It's also worth noting that we have some proof that Killzone 2 will be awesome from the beta testers, the four years of development time and the several million dollars Sony have given to Guerilla Games to develop it.

It's possible for a game like MAG to turn into a disaster.

Heavy Rain as a system seller? That's a lot to expect from 20 hours of QTE

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network
BHR-3 said:

if u look at recent sales u'll c that if there were no arcade skus ps3 vs 360 sales would be pretty damn close since the arcade is 200$ cheaper than the cheapest ps3 idk the exact ratio for arcade pro and elite but im pretty sure it's bout 50% arcade the other 50% are pro and elites

ps3 would outsell 360 ww if a 299 sku or 299 80g were to come out march resulting in a "turn around"  (because the cheapest ps3 would only be 100$ off of the arcade sku) until or if MS cuts prices in Sept i doubt it would cut it march-august 09 if a 50$ MS price cut were to happen in fall 09 sony would have to cut it by 50 also to continue to outsell it for the rest of 09

And the move from Sony in 2007 with the 40gb version wasn't desperate? Cutting away functions like SACD, 2 usb ports, PS2 BC........?

And if Sony cuts price in 2009......isn't that being desperate since thay are the one being outsold right now?

Looking at economy Sonys moves can be considerd most desperate since they are the one creating least money on the next-gen machine. At the end of the year the machine will have gathered around 4 billion in just sale losses.

You are tight  that each company have got great boosts with price cut and that is likely to continue for both of them, none of them are being desperate but the competition is very hard and I donät think anyone often wished the fast pace pricedrop.

Predictions for 2009:

360: 39-42 PS3: 31-34 Wii: 67-70

Future projection

Wii will hit 100 million before christmas 2010 (made december 2008)

NDS Family will have sold and shipped more then PS2 at the end of 2009 (made january 2009)

fulcizombie said:
How is dropping the price of each 360 SKU 100$ in 3 years "desperation" ? Sony had dropped the price of the ps2 by that ammunt sooner in its lifespan .

Man, that arcade 360 SKU will be a nightmare for sony and its fans for years to come !!!!!

U to PalmiNio I don't think that ther price cut senerios for NA and JP were  desperate but if u look at wat they done in EU that's desperate price cut on Aug 24 07 Elite pro Core  299€449,  £249€349,  £199€269 was just barely able to out sell PS3 then ps3 releases 40g Oct 07 for £299€399 starts outselling all 3 360 skus then 360 price cut Mar 4 08 £259€369,  £199€269,  £159€199 this is desperate b/c they 've been getting outsold in EU they do a EU only price cut wats funny is that 360 was unable to outsell ps3 even with this price cut then sep 19 08 price cut again £229 €299,  £169€239,  £129€179 and soon after 10 EU only bundles finaly they outsold ps3 this is wat i call desperate b/c in EU 360 Pro is cheaper than the Wii at £169€239 compared to wii £180€250

360 pro isn't cheaper than the wii any were else in the world why is it cheaper only in EU b/c MS couldn't stand being outsold by ps3 so they had to get desperate and cut the price 3 times in 13 months and get 10 bundles out 4 the holidays now if that's not desperate idk wat is

Play Me

PalmiNio said:
BHR-3 said:

And the move from Sony in 2007 with the 40gb version wasn't desperate? Cutting away functions like SACD, 2 usb ports, PS2 BC........?

And if Sony cuts price in 2009......isn't that being desperate since thay are the one being outsold right now?

Looking at economy Sonys moves can be considerd most desperate since they are the one creating least money on the next-gen machine. At the end of the year the machine will have gathered around 4 billion in just sale losses.

You are tight  that each company have got great boosts with price cut and that is likely to continue for both of them, none of them are being desperate but the competition is very hard and I donät think anyone often wished the fast pace pricedrop.

no it's not at the time 360 had a 20g in there pro they were just cutting down the fat of the 60g aslo 360 only has 3 usb no reason to one up them on that since ps3 has free online built in rechargeable battery and bluray player

not it's not if they cut the price in 09 it won't b desperate if they cut it in the fall that's 2 years since there last WW price cut that doesn't sound desperate since 360 had 3 in bout 13 months cuuting there price after 2 years sounds more like confident ps3 alreadry knows it can outsell 360 ww wen being 100$ more than it

Play Me

definitely whenever a price cut occurs. I only bought my ps3 already and one for my uncle for two reasons, I could get them at a discount. I got the one for my uncle with the $150 off offer and I got mine with w/Socom and 2 BR movies and free shipping + no tax which came out out to less than retail price so it basically was like having another 150 off as well ;) Otherwise I'd still be waiting for that ..

“When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life." - author unknown

BHR-3 said:
fulcizombie said:

U to PalmiNio I don't think that ther price cut senerios for NA and JP were  desperate but if u look at wat they done in EU that's desperate price cut on Aug 24 07 Elite pro Core  299?449,  £249?349,  £199?269 was just barely able to out sell PS3 then ps3 releases 40g Oct 07 for £299?399 starts outselling all 3 360 skus then 360 price cut Mar 4 08 £259?369,  £199?269,  £159?199 this is desperate b/c they 've been getting outsold in EU they do a EU only price cut wats funny is that 360 was unable to outsell ps3 even with this price cut then sep 19 08 price cut again £229 ?299,  £169?239,  £129?179 and soon after 10 EU only bundles finaly they outsold ps3 this is wat i call desperate b/c in EU 360 Pro is cheaper than the Wii at £169?239 compared to wii £180?250

360 pro isn't cheaper than the wii any were else in the world why is it cheaper only in EU b/c MS couldn't stand being outsold by ps3 so they had to get desperate and cut the price 3 times in 13 months and get 10 bundles out 4 the holidays now if that's not desperate idk wat is

First of all it's easier for MS to drop prices in europe than it is for sony since the $ is still weaker than the euro . Secondly sony has still dropped the price of the ps3 MUCH MORE than MS has done with the 360 . Right now, when you compare the prices of the pro with the ps3 they are almost equal !!! It's a pro with one popular shooter for 270 euros versus a ps3 with 2 popular shooters and a second controller for 430 euros . Why do you even bring the wii, i don't know preety soon even the ps3 will be cheaper than the wii, hell it almost is now !!!