By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will things turn around for the PS3

Oh and they have to bundle it with a ball in a cup. Sales will skyrocket.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

Yeah they have an amazing '09 lineup and that on its own will give them a number of lasting spikes. But no matter what games they have, things won't significantly turn around until they drop the price.

It's all about the game.

I've got my bets on the Apoc....

4 ≈ One

Mid 2008, it has already happened unfortunately (is my prediction)

Killzone 2 and God of War probably aren't going to move that many consoles. People exaggerate their size, IMO.

Their main weapons left are a price cut and Gran Turismo 5. It's unfortunate the game is taking so long to come out, they could've used the "help" earlier... I firmly believe they're stuck in 3rd place, but sales should pick up again, in time.

Around the Network
lilwingman said:
Yeah they have an amazing '09 lineup and that on its own will give them a number of lasting spikes. But no matter what games they have, things won't significantly turn around until they drop the price.

The problem is though you think it is an amazing line-up, does the guy on the street think so? I just cannot see KillZone 2 selling many consoles. 2008 was far better line up of games for the PS3 and it had next to no effect. Games like MGS4,LBP,Resistance 2,GTA4/COD5,GH4 etc.. etc.. there have been loads of high profile games for the system and as much as the fanboys now try and hype KZ2 it will not come near to those games sale figures. The other thing is i have seen the game being played in person at last years E3 and practicaly everyone who watched it with me agreed it looks like a COD4 clone, doesnt actually add anything and is very bland looking. We have seen it time and time again where a game gets hyped by people and then it gets released and gets savaged (Lair/Haze/Heavenly Sword etc.. etc..), then they move onto the next one to hype up. Games such as GOW3 and GT5 i bet will not even be out in 2009, they are miles away from release. I think 2009 for Sony will be the same as 2008 for Sony. The people on games forums talking the talk but people in the street not bothering to walk the walk.

299$/€ price point, if it doesn't happen too late. The PS3 is already doing really well for a 399 system, so it would do great with a big price cut.

I see a 50$/€ cut in march... the last price cut is more than one year ago, I guess the cost of each system has decreased... and (for example) here in france, Sony give a 50€ refund on each PS3 bought so I'm pretty sure they can handle it.

50$/€ will help but not enough though,

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

Price cut plus Gran Turismo 5

Hyruken said:
lilwingman said:

The problem is though you think it is an amazing line-up, does the guy on the street think so? I just cannot see KillZone 2 selling many consoles. 2008 was far better line up of games for the PS3 and it had next to no effect. Games like MGS4,LBP,Resistance 2,GTA4/COD5,GH4 etc.. etc.. there have been loads of high profile games for the system and as much as the fanboys now try and hype KZ2 it will not come near to those games sale figures. The other thing is i have seen the game being played in person at last years E3 and practicaly everyone who watched it with me agreed it looks like a COD4 clone, doesnt actually add anything and is very bland looking. We have seen it time and time again where a game gets hyped by people and then it gets released and gets savaged (Lair/Haze/Heavenly Sword etc.. etc..), then they move onto the next one to hype up. Games such as GOW3 and GT5 i bet will not even be out in 2009, they are miles away from release. I think 2009 for Sony will be the same as 2008 for Sony. The people on games forums talking the talk but people in the street not bothering to walk the walk.

GTA4, CoD4 and GH4 were multiplat, so those are invalid.

MGS4, LBP, R2, VC. The PS3's four excellent exclusives for 2008. Now, 2009. Confirmed:

-Killzone 2
-inFamous
-Gran Turismo 5 (Out by Christmas 2009 in Europe)
-Heavy Rain
-Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
-
Yakuza 3

Likely:

-God of War III
-Ratchet and Clank Future 3

Possible/Not confirmed:

-Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier
-LA Noire
-Final Fantasy Versus XIII
-Massive Action Game (MAG)
-Twisted Metal 2009

Bolded = Definite 90+ game. All the rest will either be 90+ or high 80s. Then, there are more games which will be announced, a likely price cut, a slim model and more consumers ready to move into the seventh gen.

I'd say 2009 will be a much better year than 2008 for the PS3.

EDIT: Who says it's like CoD4? All beta testers I know, all review sites that have the preview build, have said it is unique and incredible. And why include Heavenly Sword in a category with Lair and Haze? Heavenly Sword wasn't bad, just short and a little simplistic. And it hardly got any hype. It's also worth noting that we have some proof that Killzone 2 will be awesome from the beta testers, the four years of development time and the several million dollars Sony have given to Guerilla Games to develop it.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

2009 most likely.