By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to Lose $1.66 Billion U.S. - Six Time Greater Then Anticipated

This story is relevant, in that these analyst companies have *lots* of investors - which invest purely based on the advice from these companies.

Having your stock downgraded by any of these companies is never a good thing - in short, it means people are losing confidence with the company in question.

Its now up to Sony to deliver "strong" financial results for the coming 2-3 qrts, and prove them wrong.

Overall, this doesn't have a lot to do with the Playstation department in general - except for a point I made in an earlier thread, talking about how hard it is for Sony to compete against a cash-rich Microsoft.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

why is this considered ps3 doomed, this is more sony in financial trouble something, we have suspected but had no evidence of out side of bad news here and there... though not official this is pretty close, never good when they change it to under perform

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Excellent post Gebex!!! Sony is in DEEP financial trouble. That 400 million dollar payoff to Warner Bros to get them to go Bluray exclusive must be due.
The Sony maniacs are so quick to point the finger at Microsoft for throwing around money, but at least Microsoft actually turns a profit.

I think this is a need to know news about Sony, don't see why people are complaining about it.

I suppose he puts up lots of these articles but it isn't like he wrote them or made Sony go into these troubles.

I love Sony products, my family does hold them in high regard- quality wise but they are the most expensive most of the time. That does annoy me to some degree. I hope they change something soon.

kanariya said:
nightsurge said:

Vizio sets are equally high in quality IMO.  I have used 2 so far, and see no difference between them and the Bravia.  My Vizio is a 120Hz, 1080p, 4-HDMI port TV.  It even comes with one HDMI cable for free.  Vizio has a great warranty and good customer service, as well.

Also, we know how much people have been choosing "perceived quality" over price these days.

I agree, Microsoft should have added bumpers, but I have a feeling the added cost to change all their existing units, and to update their manufacturing process would have added up to more than $.50 per console.  Even so, as long as you use the console in the horizontal position and don't do anything stupid to it while a game is playing, you will be fine, and MS saved 12.5 million dollars! But that's off topic.

EDIT:  From the Wal-Mart website, it appears even the Samsung and Toshiba TV's are priced quite a bit below Sony's.

I have no problem with constant negative Sony news, but I have to say Vizio has crap picture quality.

Yes the spec on the paper is basically the same but the difference is there when you put a Sony/Samsung with a Vizio side by side.

And what are you going by?  The Wal-Mart in store videos?  Those TV's are never calibrated.  If you take a Vizio 42" XVT and it has been calibrated correctly it is equal in quality to any of the other more expensive ones.

Around the Network

Quality issues asides, the point is that the Vizios and other cheap brands put pricing pressure on the quality brands, which makes it difficult to maintain any profitability.

TheBigFatJ said:
nightsurge said:

Vizio sets are equally high in quality IMO.  I have used 2 so far, and see no difference between them and the Bravia.  My Vizio is a 120Hz, 1080p, 4-HDMI port TV.  It even comes with one HDMI cable for free.  Vizio has a great warranty and good customer service, as well.

Also, we know how much people have been choosing "perceived quality" over price these days.

I don't mean to rag on your choice -- if you are happy with your set, than it was good purchase for you.  But if you go to the avsforums you'll find pretty detailed distinctions between the types of panels advantages and disadvantages.  The problem you'll run into is that you'll find yourself buying a $3500 LCD set from a TV botique store (because Best Buy doesn't care the very high end models).

What you'll also discover is that every TV set and panel type has disadvantages.  Some of them have many disadvantages, some have deal-breaker (for some owners) disadvantages.  You'll find that there is differences in quality between scaler chips, there are fundamental weaknesses with certain panel technologies, etc. 

Sony's biggest issue is that they don't make their own panels.  They use Sharp panels last I researched it.  And both Samsung and Toshiba make their own and often make better ones.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to say you're extremely ill informed and confusing me. First you say Sony is quality LCD panels than you switch into saying they buy Sharp LCD panels to me it seems you're creating a giant wiki war/avs war. If you want a quality panel you're going to need to do research and make sure the panel is IPS panel technology, doesn't have color problems, and if you're gaming 120HZ, and there's a plethora of other issues. Here's a link describing benefits http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php. My biggest gripe was that you ragged on Panasonic about TVs. First off Panasonic makes mainly Plasmas but they've started getting into LCDs and their LCD TVs are effing good. They sport the IPS panel, and they have some natural problems with certain colors, which most TVs will have. I've been going on AVSForums for the past 2 years researching TVs I want and what makes a good TV.Also most TVs don't use IPS technology and that includes Sony.

Also Samsung quality? lol you're joking right? I wouldn't trust Samsung with a 10 foot pole after the shit they pulled on Black Friday, they specifically designed a TV to be made for Black Friday 500 series even though there is a 530 and 550 model out. What's the problem with this 500 model? It uses lower quality LCD panels to make up for it's insanely cheap Black Friday price. Also Sharp tvs need to be carefully looked at as well, lower quality Sharp actually use lower quality panels but still boast the Aquos quality which is bullshit. If nightsurge was extremely lucky, has good eyes, or did his research there was a couple Vizio sets that actually use LG panels that are actually quite good. My case? You don't know if his TV is better than Sony's without the actual model and information on how that model was manufactured. To straight off say Sony makes the best TVs is about as smart as saying Vaio are the number pc brand on the market.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

NJ5 said:
alephnull said:
I find it interesting that we are now 11 pages in an noone has thought it relevant that Sony's stock actually closed higher today than yesterday.

A much lower rise than the market in general. In earlier Japanese trading, Sony fell 5.87% while the market fell only 1.1%.

Also YoY it's down 61% while the Japanese market in general is 43% down.

It's underperforming in other words.

You don't think you're being even a little disingenous? I don't see why you guys love these companies so much.

alephnull said:
NJ5 said:
alephnull said:
I find it interesting that we are now 11 pages in an noone has thought it relevant that Sony's stock actually closed higher today than yesterday.

A much lower rise than the market in general. In earlier Japanese trading, Sony fell 5.87% while the market fell only 1.1%.

You don't think you're being even a little disingenous? I don't see why you guys love these companies so much.

You're the one being disingenous when you make a reference to a small one day gain and call it relevant.

FishyJoe said:
alephnull said:
NJ5 said:
alephnull said:

You're the one being disingenous when you make a reference to a small one day gain and call it relevant.

I'm guessing it had more to do with this than Sony's actual financial situation:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081217/bs_nm/us_markets_japan_stocks

Nikkei rises 1.1 percent on Fed rate cut

TOKYO (Reuters) – The Nikkei average rose 1.1 percent on Wednesday, with banking stocks among the biggest gainers after the U.S. Federal Reserve slashed borrowing costs to a record low, prompting a rally on Wall Street.

But Honda Motor Co (7267.T) tumbled more than 4 percent on expectations that it will likely issue its third profit warning of the year on Wednesday, after abruptly moving up its year-end news conference by two days. The news conference is now set for 3 p.m. The benchmark Nikkei (.N225) added 91.14 points to 8,659.16, after rising over 2 percent earlier. It fell 1.1 percent the previous day.

The broader Topix (.TOPX) gained 0.9 percent to 836.13.

(Reporting by Aiko Hayashi)

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |