By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to Lose $1.66 Billion U.S. - Six Time Greater Then Anticipated

gebx said:
fulcizombie said:
Sony deserves it . Aaaaaah those "xbox 1.5 "comments. Life is a bitch. Now watch MS' xbox division posting some big profits .

You never know if MS... The way I see it is that if the 360 division made money then they would break it out and brag about to investors...

Unless the problem is the Zune, and they use the 360 gains to cover up the Zune loss... maybe

There's no way Zune could cause enough loss to put their department in the red if it was going to post any kind of decent profit.  If that division has a loss this year, it's because of the Xbox 360 and its price cuts.

Around the Network

I remember MrStickBall warning a dude for posting like.... 5 negative 360 threads in like 2 weeks....

I see nothing for Gebx so far......

When will these threads end???

4 ≈ One

Jereel Hunter said:
Damstr8 said:
Sony loosing money for their gamers,gotta love 'em.

Yep, it's always been about the gamers. The gamers were their first priority when they released a $600 console.

Yep. Putting a 600$ price tag on a 850$ system.

4 ≈ One

Well guys... I enjoyed this thread:

I'm gonna get some sleep!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

kowenicki said:
deathgod33 said:
sony bravia tv's are the best on the market, no question, but their price is so high no one but rich people buy them. kinda like the ps3, it is ....., but its high price keeps people from buying it.

No they arent...  very very good LCD's yes... although Samsung, Toshiba and particularly Panasonic have sets every bit as good

But the best TV in the world? no.... Probably regarded as such is the Pioneer Kuro Plasma.

He said LCDs not plasma which gives a better black by far so do LEDs. As far as Sony having the best LCDs well the screens are made by LG. The picture quality is good for what they are but they are far from the best. Of course if you do not know what to look for when you buy a TV Sony is a good way to go but so is Samsung.

However with that said LCDs are faulty technology because it relies on filter light and so you have to rely on the light source behind it having the full range of light while at the same time trusting the blacks do not wash out because of the same light source. LCD is getting better but because when the brightness is turned up the whites and blacks both go up it isn't as noticeable.

The other issue is loss of luminance and this can cause washed out midtones particularly in grayscale. On top of that you have response time issues. Simple lighting adjustments in your house can resolve some of the contrast issues and make a Vizio look better than it does on the showroom floor(because of less reflective lights changing the contrast ratio) but it won't magic.

Oh and the best TVs in the world are CRT and the best images available to a consumer is film and the best image you can get is a truly calibrated laser image(minus diffraction issues).

Kuyos are also expensive. My money is on OLEDs in the future.

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
I remember MrStickBall warning a dude for posting like.... 5 negative 360 threads in like 2 weeks....

I see nothing for Gebx so far......

When will these threads end???

you know this is a relevent news story and not the same PS3 is sinking opion article from MSNBC or CNN. It was or should of been posted anyways and if you are going to complain about this you should go ahead find these articles your self post and place your spin on it.

Or you could just get used to it like the GC fans had to get used to it.

psrock said:
Gebx google search: 12-16-2008

1. die sony die
2. erection/sony/doom
3. ps3 bomb
4.lbp real life dolls
5. nude pics of psrock

you got some explaining to do sir.

LOL Win. As for you the Topic Creator : I fear for your mental well being. What pleasure do you get outta Bashing Sony? What did they do to you? The hatred runs deep in your veins and you get some sick sadistic pleasure outta bashing Sony. Well i'll say this. If you really hated Sony That much why keep the attention on them? Bad attention >>>>>>>> No attention. its still attention. Your negative Sony Threads will do f all. Why would some1 trust the word of a fool? Haters keep hating, It Encourages Sony To prove you Wrong.

blazinhead89 said:
psrock said:
Gebx google search: 12-16-2008

1. die sony die
2. erection/sony/doom
3. ps3 bomb
4.lbp real life dolls
5. nude pics of psrock

you got some explaining to do sir.

LOL Win. As for you the Topic Creator : I fear for your mental well being. What pleasure do you get outta Bashing Sony? What did they do to you? The hatred runs deep in your veins and you get some sick sadistic pleasure outta bashing Sony. Well i'll say this. If you really hated Sony That much why keep the attention on them? Bad attention >>>>>>>> No attention. its still attention. Your negative Sony Threads will do f all. Why would some1 trust the word of a fool? Haters keep hating, It Encourages Sony To prove you Wrong.

Get a grip. I don't think he has this burning hatred for sony I just think he likes pissing people like you off.

Well of course they will have a net loss. That was predictable weeks or more than a month ago. No company with 1% profit margins can keep posting profits after a ~20% decline in revenue from currency losses and a further decline due to a recession.

The real question is, how will they get out of this hole. The layoffs announced until now are nowhere near enough. Their problems go much further than $1 billion per year in savings can solve.

Keep in mind that $1.66 billion in losses includes profits in the first half of the fiscal year. In other words, the second half is predicted to generate staggering losses.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@kowenicki

I agree the Kuro is the best commercially available TV at present. Even though production has stopped the best consumer image actually came from the Sony Hi Def CRTs.

The Sony KD-34XBR960 had a picture that while only 34 in puts all TVs out there to shame(Yes I know it is not 1080P but as I said before that is the least important factor). It is just one step down from being a reference monitor.

My point was actually to the other guy and something I have repeated since the dawn of HD . While picture quality is important most people simply don't care. What they want is big and flat. What they want is simple easy to understand specs like Full HD(1080P) or Dolby to comfort them. Some people find comfort in brand name others just the buzz specs. What ever the thing is they are looking for picture quality is not it(can't be bother by dynamic contrast versus contrast, Color space, temp, blahablah)

Oh and I own a LCD TV and even though it is an LG(which picture quality was comparible to the Sonys at the time) The flaws still frustrate me. I live in a small studio in SF though so space is a concern of mine and the drawbacks are paid for in form factor and energy costs.