By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So simple for sony to win that its pathetic...

VietBitter said:
EvilChronos said:
WOW, there are a lot of pissed off gamers on this site. I love the hatred that people can have for someone elses opinion/suggestion.

The people on this site need to take a step back from gaming and figure out y they are so pissed off and then get a life, its pathetic....

WOW

You're such a dumbass, that I had to make my first post. Congrats.

Your whole "theory" revolves around mainly price. Price means nothing when consumers don't see value. Case in point, look up the Gamecube.

You know you've done something bad when it's enough to compell new people to sign up just to tell you.

:P

Then again, the more members the better!

Around the Network

Blu-Ray within the PS3 is a forced media format and the consumer pays a hefty price for a console with 90% of the game's library similar to XBox 360 and PC.

PS3 has to rely heavily on 3 or 4 stand out on console exclusive games to sell consoles and that is not going to get PS3 into second place. The exclusive games include MGS 4, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3 and maybe Kill Zone 2(but there are doubts regarding this game due to Kill Zone on PS2 being a flop), Resistance 2 and LBP have both struggled in game sales from their launch.

Blu-Ray should be a secondary function of the PS3. But Sony tries to sell the PS3 primarily on its Blu-Ray capabilities rather than its games. Sony peaked with PS2 and has reached rock bottom with the fortunes of the PS3.

Sony forgets to tell the consumer that the benefits of Blu-Ray are not realised unless you have a $1000 50 inch 1080p HD TV. On anything smaller Blu-Ray looks similar to up scaled DVDs, marginally better to the naked eye and not noticeable to the average Joe six pack.

To turn this thread into a positive, lets look at logical idea's to turn the playstation 3 around, without having to spend a ton of money, or drop the price. Lets not aim for number 1, but instead lets aim to take the xbox 360 down a notch.

1 - Playstation Home - Like second life, this has potential to become huge. Very huge, its already here, it just needs tweaking according to many people's opinions. Sell virtual space to companies who wish to expand their business to the virtual world, much like second life.

Another idea for PlayStation home is allow for a virtual marketplace, allowing people to trade levels in LittleBigPlanet, game records, show off trophies, compete in tournaments. Do MUCH more than a little virtual dance club.

What I love about PlayStation home is that it's already here, and its in its very base form. I can see it being upgraded cheaply and being able to pull in VAST amounts of numbers, epically if it is marketed towards corporations who wish to expand their presence throughout virtual-space.

2 - Sackboy, Sackboy is Sony's new mascot right? Its been established. Alot of people find him adorable, alot of people find him creepy. It doesn't matter what your opinion of him is, Sackboy represents the Playstation 3. Thus, Sackboy should make many, many appearances in other Sony Games. If not to boost the sales of LittleBigPlanet, but to allow the establishment of new titles without the risk of sales being below 1million.

3 - Bundle, Sony should bundle something with the 399.99 80gig model. It doesn't need to be fancy, or expensive. Xbox 360 pro comes bundled with Kung-Fu Panda where I'm at. Kung-Fu Freaking...Panda. Does this change the value of the 299.99 Xbox console? Yes, I've still seen Xbox 360 pro's sold at 299.99 without the bundled in game. While the price remains the same, the value does not.

People enjoy value with their purchase. They like seeing a little extra for their money, thus if the 399.99 playStation 3 came with something from 07'... say, resistance 1. It'll not only boost sales to Resistance 2, but it'll boost playstation 3's sales without much cost towards Sony.

I've never taken a economic class in my life, all I know is what I understand from you guys and what reading these forums taught me over the years. So I hope these ideas have merit, if not. Let me know, I'm open to criticism.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

EvilChronos said:

OK I didnt think I would have to explain this cause I thought it would be obvious but I guess not...

Sony prooved with the ps2 that u can take SIGNIFICANT hits in price in the first half of the life of a system knowing that on the back half u will earn quite a bit not only off the system "cause the tech gets cheaper over time therefore cheaper to build year after year" but with a huge increase on accessories "wich have the highest % of profit from store bought merch" not to mention the fact that games will increase in sells and somewhat unique obviously to this gen is the dl's straight from the source "wich are quite profitable too" AND having your name in the house more will cause a person to buy your other products if u show them how nice 1 can be.

So to get back on point the FACT is that there are ten's of millions of people worldwide "especially Asia" who own a ps2 who have not bought a ps3 or any next gen for that fact cause there system is still being published for. Now if you stop support of the ps2 "like MS did for xbox" it will force people to go out and buy another system. Now when they get to the store they see that sony is now in the same ball park for the price comparison with Wii and 360 and it also comes with the cable u need to make it look good on your new high def tv and a good game. Then u read on the box that all your old ps2 and ps1 games will work on this new system and u can also watch high def movies and get on the internet and etc... and GEE look at them fly out of the store, imagine that. This is honestly simple. Not only has sony prooven my point with the ps2 but microsoft proved it with the xbox/360. This truly is not a hard thing to grasp.

BTW just incase u are one of the shit talkers earlier I have taken Micro Eco, Stat Eco, World Eco, Eco 101, 201, 303. I love the subject and I do know a little bit about what Iam talking about here. Grant-it Iam obviously not as qualified as the sony eco's however how good have they been doing so far? hmmmmm

This post had me rolling my eyes out of their sockets and I believe it hasn't been attacked enough. I'll take a stab at it.

First, it has already been established that the losses of the PS2 where nowhere near as monumental as those of the PS3. You know you have a problem when the company is letting go of not just a few people, but a few thousand. Sure, this is mainly other divisions but the losses are now so monumental it'd be a feat if they'd recoperate their losses even if they'd continue to pursue a ten year plan. And yes, that's taking the Pareto effect into account.

Then we have the main section. It has already been established that a lot of the PS2 generation are jumping ship towards the Nintendo Wii. Furthermore you assume that people are lining up for a console to put beside their new HDTV. Newsflash: the majority of homes do not own a HDTV. 23% In Western homes, and significantly lower in Asia.
And even if there was a rush on HDTV and people desired a console with it, what makes them not chose the still cheaper Xbox360? Mind you, backed by a company who is not in a financial shitstorm and can more easily lower price.

As mentioned, your ideas are running Sony into the ground for what, marketshare? That battle has already been lost, survival is now key. They need a somewhat steady cashflow if they plan on making any investments or keep somewhat of a budget.

BTW, Argueing with credentials online is like going to a Jerry Springer show. You can be any sort of person you like. I'm (honestly) close to my masters of science in Business Administration - but I could very well be a nobel prize winning phyicist.  

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

400 is ok.
you bought a PC at 1500 but you wont buy a machine a 400?
What wrong.
PS3 is one of the most powerfull computer of the world.

Final Fantasy huge... watch my collection

Oh... Final Fantasy huge only on SONY system !

Around the Network

I dont get why people always moan about backwards compatability...i bought my ps3 to play ps3 games, not ps2 games!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

EvilChronos said:

This is the easiest way for sony to win. 3 simple things that could win it all for them. They know it, we know it, microsoft and nintendo know it but for some reason it STILL has not happened. Heres hoping for next year...

1. Complete software driven backwards compatibility for all ps2 and ps1 games. "that means downloading patches and updates that let u play ps2 and ps1 games for those who dont know".

2. A ps3 80 gig model bundled together in 1 box with Little big planet, dual shock controller, hdmi cable. All for the reasonable price of 299.99.

3. Stop production of the ps2. "the ps3's biggest competitor/enemy is its own brother"

Those 3 very simple and not to god awfully expensive things would certainly catapult sony into 1st place within a year of these things being done/released. So the question is why doesnt sony just bite the bullet on this one and do it. They would certainly make up the money in the end plus some. They were so scared with the money they were loosing with the ps2 "for atleast the first 4 years" for the price they sold it at but they made it back in the end plus way, way more.

Sony plz figure it out before it is too late and u start loosing developers cause its just not worth it to publish on your system.

1. Add PS2 compatibility = expensive chip = higher loss on manufacturing

2. higher loss on manufacturing

3. Oh boy.. Give up South Amierica, India, pretty much every region in the world that cannot afford to buy >$100 stuff

Congratulations, you just summed up the three key reasons to bankrupt Sony.

Those are pretty good ideas... If we forget the fact that Sony is losing money with the PS3 even now while they're making money with the PS2. The thing is, right now the PS3 is probably too expensive for Sony to make to be able to stop making PS2s. And backwards compatibility, well, that's a difficult case. There was some technical limitation (the memory bandwidth of the RSX or something like that) that made the whole affair kinda... hard.

But yes, the idea is good once the time is right. With luck the time could come even next year, though I'd still go for 2010.

mamboula said:
400 is ok.
you bought a PC at 1500 but you wont buy a machine a 400?
What wrong.
PS3 is one of the most powerfull computer of the world.

Fail here is so big. I can not stop laughing lol. lol. hahahaha

I think their marketing department needs to be a little more creative.

Maybe a $99 or free PS3, buit you have to buy one $34.99 blu ray movie a month for two years or something. Something like those stupid CD clubs, cheap PS3 now, and they make their money of your future overpriced purchases.

People buy $500 cell phones all the time because it comes **free** with their $80/month 2 year plan. For $80 a month over two years, you should get a PS3 and one game a month.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire