By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So simple for sony to win that its pathetic...

So let me see if I have this straight. Despite the fact the PS3 has already lost Sony as much money as they made during the PS2's entire lifetime. Despite the fact the company is struggling and just had to cut 16000 jobs your proposals are to:

Raise the production cost of the machine. Take a further... well hard to say with all the stuff you bundled in. Probably what? An extra $130 loss per console sold. Thirdly stop production on one of the remaining profitable products.

What is wrong with you?

Firstly those actions still wouldn't be enough to put it ahead of the wii. The wii is simply popular at the moment, even assuming the PS3 did overtake it in sales Nintendo could easily afford to drop the price $100. Hell Nintendo are so profitable that if they really decided to give up profitability for market share they could reduce the wii to $150 and bundle a game or two, the loss per console would probably still be less than what you propose for the PS3.

However even assuming all those actions somehow did manage to make the PS3 first in the console sales, what would be the point when sony had suffered billions of dollars of debt. Money that in the PS3's lifecycle they would never ever get back. Even if the PS3 performed as well as the PS2 did it would still struggle to recoup the losses, let alone massive further losses.

I mean your strategy basically comes down to bigger losses and removing profitable products from market. I mean hell with an extra $130 loss per system think how many games they would have to sell to recoup that! If it's a third party game then what an extra 13 games?

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network

So.....

Sony needs to sell 4.6 million more consoles in the next year than they have LTD to reach the Wii's level right now.

Lets give you the benefit of the doubt and say the Wii sales drop 50%, the PS3 would need to sell around 36.4 Million in a year, more than double what it has LTD.

Uh, are you still sure about your assertion?

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

yeah you lost all credibility when you said the ps3 would pass the wii within a year. there is still a chance it will catch the 360 but the wii is in a league of its own

EvilChronos said:
WOW, there are a lot of pissed off gamers on this site. I love the hatred that people can have for someone elses opinion/suggestion.

The people on this site need to take a step back from gaming and figure out y they are so pissed off and then get a life, its pathetic....

I don't think there is that much hatred. Your view of their moves is just remarkably simple. But they would have a huge adverse affect on Sony. And the price drop still wouldn't be enough -- they need to beat the cost of BD players if they want to see their previous level of sales, and that's about $200 for decent ones.

Do you really think that bundling a $2 HDMI cable and a game (they already bundle games) and then drop the price of the system woudl be enough?

People don't look for cables and they don't price match on cables -- Sony knows they can rip you off on the cables, which is why they aren't included.  I've never heard someone say, "Hmm, the 360 elite costs $399, the PS3 costs $399.  But there is that HDMi cable in with the Elite..."

The PS3 is mostly done for this generation.  Sony will just need to try to dig themselves out of third place next generation.  But, frankly, I don't see them gaining any market share between generations anymore -- Nintendo and Microsoft are each just way too powerful.  And Sony has far too much hubris.  They need more third party companies to make more parts of their systems.  They aren't as good at making hardware as specialized companies.

Around the Network
EvilChronos said:
WOW, there are a lot of pissed off gamers on this site. I love the hatred that people can have for someone elses opinion/suggestion.

The people on this site need to take a step back from gaming and figure out y they are so pissed off and then get a life, its pathetic....

WOW

You're such a dumbass, that I had to make my first post. Congrats.

Your whole "theory" revolves around mainly price. Price means nothing when consumers don't see value. Case in point, look up the Gamecube.

The OP obviously should be working for Sony. They'd be dominating in a year if they did everything he said. That's what he said, right?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

VietBitter said:
EvilChronos said:

WOW

You're such a dumbass, that I had to make my first post. Congrats.

Your whole "theory" revolves around mainly price. Price means nothing when consumers don't see value. Case in point, look up the Gamecube.

I would just like to say welcome to the forum.

Everyone has pretty much sumed up how dumb the OP was, so no point adding the same thing again because it obviously won't do any good.

Logic indicates that Sony is going to finish last place this generation in regards to the PS3. Forcing an expensive console with a forced medium in Blu-Ray onto the consumer was a bad business move on behalf of Sony.

wfz said:
Sony can easily win, all they have to do is kill the people who work at Nintendo and Microsoft.

I don't know if that'll work against Nintendo.........these wii's are capable of selling themselves. The only thing we would be denied are...........avatars.