By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Sports Resort (Wii Sports 2) Will it sell???

It will sell exeedingly well...Id say 30-50% attache rate.

Around the Network

I don't think Wii Sports has a loyal fan base the way other Nintendo series' have. I doubt it will sell anywhere near what Wii Play is selling, as the Wii Motion Plus won't really be seen as a necessary upgrade. I think we'll be looking at similar sales to Brain Training 2.

It will sell well, i'd say 10million at least.

damkira said:

I don't think Wii Sports has a loyal fan base the way other Nintendo series' have. I doubt it will sell anywhere near what Wii Play is selling, as the Wii Motion Plus won't really be seen as a necessary upgrade. I think we'll be looking at similar sales to Brain Training 2.

I really think you are totally missing the point. Yes there would be a good demand for a well done Wii Sport sequel as many people have had, and continue to have a lot of fun with it. But I agree it would, of itself, not be unlimited. But the point here isn't the game but the hardware.

The game may be big but the hardware is a huge advance. To me real time , one to one is as big an advance over the present Wiimote is the Wiimote was over the GC.

To turn a door knob by reaching out and turning it. A light saber dual that feels and acts like the real thing. Golf where a failure to keep your wrist straight results in a hook or slice. An unbelievable response and accuracy in a FPS. The list goes on,

Yes, a very very necessary upgrade. And quite a bit more.

I have no doubt that it will sell, especially if nintendo promotes it half as much as they promoted wii music.

Although my question is how the package it. I believe sales will be lower if Ninty sells the wii-motion plus separately at first. The wii sports crowd will pick it up no matter what but the core will only pick it up when a core game uses it (conduit, RS2, the inevitable star wars game).

However if Nintendo only lets it be packaged with the game at first, then it might force some of the core to pick it up...but Ninty would have to package it with 2 wii motion-plus-es.

If I was nintendo i would package the game with 2 motion pluses for $50 (or more) and not allow it to be sold separately until several months later...and blame it on not having enough supply ;)

It wouldn't surprise me since the balance board is still bundled...and it is still supply constrained.

Around the Network

Yeah, of course it will sell millions. Good for wii, another multimillion selling minigame collection.

Grampy said:

To turn a door knob by reaching out and turning it. A light saber dual that feels and acts like the real thing. Golf where a failure to keep your wrist straight results in a hook or slice. An unbelievable response and accuracy in a FPS. The list goes on,

How does WM+ improve fps-games? Or how does a "light sabed duel" feel like the real thing when you there is no resistance when you hit something? :)

I agree that this is necessary, since the original motion controls are a bad joke.

Resort will be similar to WiiFit - just cheaper, and should sell even better:
- hardcores will buy it immediately for M+
- casuals will buy it, as a sequel for Wii Sports
- newbies will buy it, for the "new" games (sword fighting, etc) and based on the massive advertising campaign it launches with.

I see no reason for Ninty to bundle, OR build M+ into Wiimotes. Firstly, with 50m Wiis out there - there would be at LEAST 100m Wiimotes - without M+. So they have to cater to these units first.

Secondly - when Resort launches, 99.9% of Wii games will ONLY require the Wiimote. Very, very few will *ever* require M+ - probably 1-2% of games.

Thirdly - its easy money for Ninty, and a nice upgrade path for consumers.

Fourthly - it gives them an easy route for the "Wii II" controller (all these bits integrated) - or even a new Wiimote if they like.

I'm sure I have now spent an UNGODLY amount of money on my "Wii collection" - BUT I didn't have to spend it all at once. Gradual upgrading makes consumers happy.

Again - my only question is the price points - and if I was Ninty, I would price it similar to WiiPlay/Wiimote (except cheaper). Force people to buy multiple copies of Resort, if they want multiple M+'s (for a while at least).

(its almost like Animal Crossing + WiiSpeak - except the WiiSpeak is not *required* to play Animal Crossing - M+ will be required).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Esa-Petteri said:
Grampy said:

How does WM+ improve fps-games? Or how does a "light sabed duel" feel like the real thing when you there is no resistance when you hit something? :)

I agree that this is necessary, since the original motion controls are a bad joke.

Careful, strong words against Wii products like "bad joke" can get you banned on this site =)

If motion control is a “bad joke” to you then nothing I say will make sense to you, let alone persuade you. I have played for many years on every type of controller from the single button joystick of the 2600 up to and including the current batwing MS model. And that very much includes mouse and keyboard.

To me, they all suffered from a huge flaw and that was they kept me from being a participant in the game. No matter how clever the first person camera it just didn’t work. At best I was an electronic puppet master making my pixel puppet dance on screen.

Ten minutes of Wii sport and I knew I would never even look back. Despite the cartoon graphics and opponents with no feet. I was bowling, playing tennis, not just making an electronic marionette go through the motions. If was just a beginning and far from perfect but it already was giving me more fun than the previous 30 years of gaming.

That’s what I mean about first person shooters. Having a zapper in my hand in a gimped down version of COD actually felt better to me than playing the incredibly gorgeous PC version but shooting people with a mouse, and typing a grenade at them.

But I wanted even more. I’m actually a pretty fair sword fighter having been on a collegiate team. No control system let me get this skill on the table. But motion+ will and swordfights will depend on my skill with the sword, not on my speed typing and ability to remember button combinations.

How sublime!