By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Sports Resort (Wii Sports 2) Will it sell???

samus aran rules said:
windbane said:
samus aran rules said:
windbane said:
WiiStation360 said:
Wii Sports Resort is the new WiiPlay.

(People will complain sales should not count as well)

And they'll be right, but it just shows Nintendo's genius this generation. They can sell any game they want as long as they bundle it with some controller "upgrade." First, Wii Sports and the Wii just to get the new controller. Then Mario Kart (useless wheel), Wii Fit, and now Wii Sports 2.

Why would anyone own a Wii and not get the game that makes the controller better, or the way it was advertized.

Ok I get what you are saying but come on. Do you mean to say that people buy Mario Kart WII because of the wheel? Sure it´s a nice feature and clever way to market the game but it would be useless if Mario Kart weren´t such a great game.

As for Wii Sports Resort, Wii motion+ sure looks great in my opinon and I would definately get it in itself if good games were to follow it, but I´m gonna get Sports Resort with or without it and I´m sure many besides myself would too.

Yeah, I'd say Mario Kart is more getting people to waste money on plastic to accompany the game, but I know there are a lot of people that bought it just because of the wheel. It worked both ways and I agree with you that it was good marketing. I thought it lacked features that the previous games had, so I didn't like the new Mario Kart as much. In fact, it had 2 fatal flaws: no co-op Grand Prix and no FFA battle mode. Anyway, I digress...

Ok I think we have to agree on disagreeing. Maybe I´m wrong and people buy it because of a "piece of plastic" but I´m sure it would have been multimilion seller even without it. Anyway what makes the game soar to the heaven of gaming for me is the BRILLIANT onlinefeature which the previous games in the series lacks. I can sit for hours racing online, it never get boring, so to me it´s my favorite Mario Kart so far (haven´t played Super Mario Kart on SNES though even though I had SNES, I´m still wating for it on VC).

I was agreeing with you that Mario Kart, out of the examples I gave, was probably leaning more towards getting people to buy the plastic rather than getting people to buy the game.

Yeah, the online is nice, but Mario Party was always a party game to me, and they completely ruined battle mode despite all the awesome maps they included.  They also ruined unlocking or me because racing alone is boring, again, despite all the awesome maps.  I'm still waiting for a similar Mario Party compilation...

Around the Network
windbane said:
samus aran rules said:
windbane said:
WiiStation360 said:

And they'll be right, but it just shows Nintendo's genius this generation. They can sell any game they want as long as they bundle it with some controller "upgrade." First, Wii Sports and the Wii just to get the new controller. Then Mario Kart (useless wheel), Wii Fit, and now Wii Sports 2.

Why would anyone own a Wii and not get the game that makes the controller better, or the way it was advertized.

Ok I get what you are saying but come on. Do you mean to say that people buy Mario Kart WII because of the wheel? Sure it´s a nice feature and clever way to market the game but it would be useless if Mario Kart weren´t such a great game.

As for Wii Sports Resort, Wii motion+ sure looks great in my opinon and I would definately get it in itself if good games were to follow it, but I´m gonna get Sports Resort with or without it and I´m sure many besides myself would too.

Yeah, I'd say Mario Kart is more getting people to waste money on plastic to accompany the game, but I know there are a lot of people that bought it just because of the wheel.  It worked both ways and I agree with you that it was good marketing.  I thought it lacked features that the previous games had, so I didn't like the new Mario Kart as much.  In fact, it had 2 fatal flaws:  no co-op Grand Prix and no FFA battle mode.  Anyway, I digress...

So now we're at the point where a traditional successfull franchise like Mario Kart sells because of a piece of plastic? Try not to get too desperate.

Mario Kart Wii is the best MK since the SNES and the online is fantastic. It has more characters/courses/vehicles than any MK before but obviously Wii owners don't buy quality games, so it has to be becuase of the Wiil....sad.

BengaBenga said:
windbane said:
samus aran rules said:
windbane said:
WiiStation360 said:

Yeah, I'd say Mario Kart is more getting people to waste money on plastic to accompany the game, but I know there are a lot of people that bought it just because of the wheel. It worked both ways and I agree with you that it was good marketing. I thought it lacked features that the previous games had, so I didn't like the new Mario Kart as much. In fact, it had 2 fatal flaws: no co-op Grand Prix and no FFA battle mode. Anyway, I digress...

So now we're at the point where a traditional successfull franchise like Mario Kart sells because of a piece of plastic? Try not to get too desperate.

Mario Kart Wii is the best MK since the SNES and the online is fantastic. It has more characters/courses/vehicles than any MK before but obviously Wii owners don't buy quality games, so it has to be becuase of the Wiil....sad.

Seriously, can you guys not read? I clearly said that Mario Kart is more getting people to buy the Wheel than the wheel getting people to buy the game. It's still Nintendo making more money than they deserve, unless you count good marketing. So no, I am not saying that it sold because of plastic. I am saying the plastic helped some in conjunction with the ads but it was more of the reverse effect (again, selling useless wheels).

Mario Kart is one of my all-time favorite franchises. I have loved every version released. When Double Dash came out, I was disappointed it didnt have online but it was still my favorite GC game. Online is great, but it's comparable to Motorstorm 1 having great online play but not having splitscreen co-op when you completely ruin the FAMOUS battle mode and don't allow people to unlock stuff with co-op play!

Oh, and btw, having more vehicles and characters does not change the freaking gameplay. At least double dash had special attacks based on which character you had. MK Wii doesn't even have that (which, for balance issues, is probably fair, but still). I just said above that having all those old tracks is awesome, but they are useless in battle mode since they DON'T LET YOU PLAY THE OLD MODES. I do not want to play against the freaking AI! The old tracks for racing is awesome, but I don't want to play so many tracks so many times to unlock everything by myself when it's supposed to be a party game.

If you don't agree, fine, but those are my opinions based on loving the freaking franchise.

leo-j said:
20million +, wouldnt be suprised if it hits 30 million

Who are you and what did you do to leo-j?

windbane said:
BengaBenga said:
windbane said:
samus aran rules said:
windbane said:
WiiStation360 said:

So now we're at the point where a traditional successfull franchise like Mario Kart sells because of a piece of plastic? Try not to get too desperate.

Seriously, can you guys not read? I clearly said that Mario Kart is more getting people to buy the Wheel than the wheel getting people to buy the game. It's still Nintendo making more money than they deserve, unless you count good marketing. So no, I am not saying that it sold because of plastic. I am saying the plastic helped some in conjunction with the ads but it was more of the reverse effect (again, selling useless wheels).

Mario Kart is one of my all-time favorite franchises. I have loved every version released. When Double Dash came out, I was disappointed it didnt have online but it was still my favorite GC game. Online is great, but it's comparable to Motorstorm 1 having great online play but not having splitscreen co-op when you completely ruin the FAMOUS battle mode and don't allow people to unlock stuff with co-op play!

Oh, and btw, having more vehicles and characters does not change the freaking gameplay. At least double dash had special attacks based on which character you had. MK Wii doesn't even have that (which, for balance issues, is probably fair, but still). I just said above that having all those old tracks is awesome, but they are useless in battle mode since they DON'T LET YOU PLAY THE OLD MODES. I do not want to play against the freaking AI! The old tracks for racing is awesome, but I don't want to play so many tracks so many times to unlock everything by myself when it's supposed to be a party game.

If you don't agree, fine, but those are my opinions based on loving the freaking franchise.

Ok, calm down, it´s just a silly conversation on a videogamesforum. Maybe we misunderstood you but you did say this and I quote: They can sell any game they want as long as they bundle it with some controller "upgrade".

This make it sound as you´d only expect the games to sell because of the controller "adons" rather than the game itself. I just think that Mario Kart would be a huge seller with or without the wheel. Whatever I´ll drop this now.

Around the Network

Perhaps the answer to Sony's problems is much simpler than we thought and windbane here at vgchartz just found it... They just have to start a Little Plastic Add-ons division. They can ride on the profits from that division throughout the recession. They just need some cool games to go with the add-ons.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Wow leo-j I'm impressed.

Other It will sell like there is no tomorrow. 30-40 million for sure

I'm guessing Nintendo might bundle this game with Wiis. Maybe not from the get go, but eventually. Would be a smart move if you ask me, it'd get WM+ into the hands of a LOT of users, thus generating a larger userbase for games that use WM+. I mean, if they're gonna make games that use those devices, they'd better make sure people own them.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

samus aran rules said:
windbane said:
BengaBenga said:
windbane said:
samus aran rules said:
windbane said:
WiiStation360 said:

Ok, calm down, it´s just a silly conversation on a videogamesforum. Maybe we misunderstood you but you did say this and I quote: They can sell any game they want as long as they bundle it with some controller "upgrade".

This make it sound as you´d only expect the games to sell because of the controller "adons" rather than the game itself. I just think that Mario Kart would be a huge seller with or without the wheel. Whatever I´ll drop this now.

yes, I originally lumped Mario Kart in with Wii Fit, Wii Play, and Wii Sports/Wii itself.  Then, you correctly pointed out that Mario Kart was more of the opposite that the game sold the controller.  I agree with that, even if it did work the other way a little.  Every post since then, I've agreed with you about that issue.  Either way, Nintendo is showing it's genius at every turn with that strategy because they get more money than they would have.

Cheebee said:
I'm guessing Nintendo might bundle this game with Wiis. Maybe not from the get go, but eventually. Would be a smart move if you ask me, it'd get WM+ into the hands of a LOT of users, thus generating a larger userbase for games that use WM+. I mean, if they're gonna make games that use those devices, they'd better make sure people own them.

I hope they do that too... Perhaps they can bundle Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort together, or just remove Wii Sports from the bundle and start selling it as a standalone product.

Another possibility - adding Wii Sports to the Wii Sports Resort Disc, perhaps even with some upgrades to the games in order to take advantage of WM+.

One way or the other, I hope they do everything they can to get as many people to adopt WM+ as possible.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957