By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Music sells 1 million - bitter tears flow profusely

sanadawarrior said:
Paperdiego said:
Yes the "Wii" brand is even bigger that "nintendo".

its amazing how people have been calling this a flop how often do sony or microsoft games ever reach more than a million

Xbox 360 has more million sellers than Wii and PS3 combined last I checked...

I think he's referring to first party games, either from Microsoft Games Studios or Sony Computer Entertainment.

Around the Network
Groucho said:

Okay, sarcasm aside. I think this goes a looong way to show that the Wii demographics are *really* foggy and hard to target. This game sold big, and this is just my crazy theory, merely because it has Wii[name] and the Nintendo 1st party stamp of Nintendo goodness on it. The new-gamer masses are afraid of things that aren't officially good endorsed products.

"Designed for Windows 95/2000/XP/Vista" == "Wii[whatever]" == Big-Name-Company Says-Its-Good == soothing comfort to non-gamer/non-savvy.

Star Wars: TFU sold like hotcakes you know.  It was pretty mediocre.

That's more fair, but are we surprised that name recognition means something?

And it's not just the Wii demographics, either. I can't recall the precise number, but the vast, vast majority of best-selling games on the HD consoles (and the Wii) are sequels, not original IPs. I think Activision's CEO cited this as justification for milking his franchises. I want to say it's in the 90's, but I'm not positive.

Long story short: newcomer or traditional, most gamers prefer the familiar to the unknown.

Nintendo needs to die, they are ruining video games.

PREDICTIONS:
360 will outsell PS3 YTD for 2008. (CHECK!)
360 will have the best showing at E3 & TGS in 2009
2009 will be another year for the 360 over PS3
End OF 2009 SALES :: 360 - 40M;  PS3 - 30M; Wii - 70M

sanadawarrior said:
Paperdiego said:
Yes the "Wii" brand is even bigger that "nintendo".

its amazing how people have been calling this a flop how often do sony or microsoft games ever reach more than a million

Xbox 360 has more million sellers than Wii and PS3 combined last I checked...

It came out a year before, and that doesn't really address the comment.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Groucho said:

Okay, sarcasm aside. I think this goes a looong way to show that the Wii demographics are *really* foggy and hard to target. This game sold big, and this is just my crazy theory, merely because it has Wii[name] and the Nintendo 1st party stamp of Nintendo goodness on it. The new-gamer masses are afraid of things that aren't officially good endorsed products.

"Designed for Windows 95/2000/XP/Vista" == "Wii[whatever]" == Big-Name-Company Says-Its-Good == soothing comfort to non-gamer/non-savvy.

Star Wars: TFU sold like hotcakes you know.  It was pretty mediocre.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed LucasArts

0.78m

1.28m

0.87m

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
It has still been the slowest moving title in the Wii series.

- despite the current marketing effort in support of Wii Music
- despite a basic lack of Nintendo games this season
- despite record breaking hardware sales (strongest to date)
- despite being targeted at new users who want the different Wii style game experience

And despite having been in development since the very inception of the Wii. It's not like the game was an unfinished concept or lacked any of the polish people expect of a Nintendo game.

Nobody can claim there is currently any game that is cannibalizing Wii Music sales, so there really isn't any excuse.

About the only thing that can be blamed is the basic concept itself, which some have tried to interpret as a high-browed approach to music games while ignoring that the basic appeal of Wii series games is instant accessibility for anyone, regardless of gaming (or non-gaming) background.

It was a given it would eventually pass the million seller mark, and should still continue to sell at a consistent rate, even after the holiday season, but when compared with Wii Fit (not an entirely fair comparison) the type of sales rates Wii Music has been seeing is hardly anything to celebrate and praise.

Fair is fair. Considering it had to overcome a lot of bad mouthing from reviewers, and others who were not prepared to even grant it a fair hearing, let’s look at sales honestly. One third of that million came from "Others" where it wasn't released until Nov 14. Granted it did not do its million in week one but it did have competition; Guitar Hero World Tour was released within a week in both NA and others.

Guitar Hero is considered very successful but it has a long way to go to get a million.

Predictably Wii Music was a game that was going to have to develop a market. On one end it is instantly accessible to even the smallest child. And we are finding out that for people with musical talent it apparently offers depth and subtlety.

The “warrior class” gamers find it as unappealing and as frightening as having your mommy/wife/s.o. send you to the store for a box of tampons.

It will have Legs like Marlene Dietrich and will still be selling when people have forgotten where Freedom City is

Zombl337 said:

Dunaway asks: "U mad?"

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Zombl337 said:

Chill, it's alright Dude. Despite what you have been told and obviously believe, if a small fraction of the world's population doesn't share your taste for gore and mayhem and would prefer to make music instead  ... your penis will not fall off. I promise.

^ lol about the penis comment

ClaudeLv250 said:

I would just like to take the time to congratulate Wii Music and Nintendo, for thinking outside of the box. With this weeks software numbers, Wii Music should be over 1 million.

Through endless whining, selfish confessions and hostile receptions, Nintendo has once again provided an enjoyable experience to over a million customers, proving once again that they know the market better than bitter fanboys.

You go Nintendo.

Aside from praising them for selling a million copies...I have to ask, why are you praising them for "thinking outside the box" with this game? Wii Music is doing nothing more than what Rock Band did last year...even less actually. At least RB is interactive. With Wii Music, you're still pretty much using an air guitar or air drums