By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - R* goes sony exclusive

just heard the part in the podcast where she said rockstar is going ps3 exclusive.. apparently it was a news release of some sort.. but anyway that was the worst podcast in history.. it was so flat..

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Around the Network

Yes and no.

Look if GTA4 was one one platform id bet it would be releasing in october. Multiplatform is not the easiest thing to do especially to do very good. R* does have 2/3 PS3 exclusives, there might be some true to it.

Just to make it clear so people see it....

Rockstar is making a SINGLE new game exclusive to the PS3, not all new games.

Edit: As of yet it is an unnamed new franchise. This was just a missunderstanding from someone who read the announcment wrong and then when they tried to figure out what it meant on air went completely the wrong direction.  

To Each Man, Responsibility

The reason GTA and many other franchises were Sony exclusives was not corporate loyalty (just typing those two words together makes me laugh), but the huge install base of the first two Playstations. Going PS exclusive at this point would be an incredibly bad move for any developer. Quite a few have remained that way, and may for the rest of the gen for all I know, but I frankly can't see any notable developers commiting themselves too strongly for Sony at this point. Maybe in a year or so if the PS3 starts beating Gamecube sales levels, but definitely not now.

jhlennon1 said:
mrstickball said:
If Sony gets R* then MS gets Square-Enix.

I am certain that Sony would be more interested in Square Enix then they would be in R*.

I would have thought that during the PS2 days, but it seems like all the work securing exclusives or timed exclusives for the PS3 are mostly for games/genres that sell well in America.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

sony will have some exclusive games but rockstar won't go sony exclusive

If sony is now partnered with rockstar and is a 2nd party company this would mean GTA, and all there games would be exclusive to the ps3. It is possible since R* doesnt have much in the way of money and sony could have bought rockstar, if they did I dont see the 360 getting any more grand theft auto games, or possibly even GTA 4.

mM

That MS gave R* $50 million for the exclusive episodes is a false interpretion as far as I know , for I read(and I'm too lazy to goole and link it) ,that the $50 million actually is the revenue (not profits) MS expects from the episodes.

Sounds much more beliveable to me like that , for with $50 million MS could have deved 2-3 AAA titles on their own.

Sqrl said:
Its a very very passing comment and they say in the podcast it was an announcement from rockstar.

Looking back at recent rockstar stories there was an announcement of a single new IP that would be coming exclusively to the PS3 but thats it. In the podcast one of the guys speculates by saying something to the effect of "So it sounds like it must be all new games not in development yet since we already know GTA IV is going to both..".

Right now I am thinking someone read the announcement wrong, and then they added a twist to it while trying to make sense of it.

It is around 51.00. The transcript is

Woman: R* is going to be PS3 exclusive from now on so I know you guys were looking for those exclusive games so you might just get them.

Guy1: nice, do they mention any titles in their anouncemnet?

Woman: Not any specific titles, they mention GTA but they didn't mention the current one, cause we all know GTA IV is going to both.

While I would rather have more sources this podcats is pretty conclusive in what it says.

ClaudeLv250 said:
jhlennon1 said:
mrstickball said:
If Sony gets R* then MS gets Square-Enix.

I am certain that Sony would be more interested in Square Enix then they would be in R*.

I would have thought that during the PS2 days, but it seems like all the work securing exclusives or timed exclusives for the PS3 are mostly for games/genres that sell well in America.

Sony already have the several great games exclsuive from Square that's why. They have FFXIII, Versus XIII as well as a many Square Enix games for the PSP exclusive. Microsoft have nothing from SE, nothing of any worth anyway. Last Remnant is going to sell on the PS3 in Japan, not so much on the 360.

Square Enix are always going to favor Sony over Microsoft with their games and that shows. If Sony secured Square Enix, then they would not have to worry about the Japan user base any more, total. The US user base is an open market and like a lot more variety of games, so securing it is a much harder task.