By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone 2 sales predictions

i also have a feeling that the total lack of coop will bring the sales down

Around the Network

Kill Zone 2 will not be a PS3 hardware seller. Resistance 2 and Socom:Confrontation have not moved PS3 hardware. I doubt Kill Zone 2 will sell PS3 consoles. Kill Zone 2 may even be similar to Resistance 2 in regards to sales. It will definitely not sell as well as MGS 4 which has been the most hyped game on PS3.

bugrimmar said:
oh yeah, and aside from having no price cut (since its a rumor that has been swatted down time and time again), it doesn't have the holiday boost to help sales.

Is that a bad thing? It sacrifices the holiday boost to save itself from the holiday competition.

Is the game getting your +1 sale? It's getting mine.

I'd like to make a friendly bet with you about this, but I already have a KZ2 metascore bet on right now.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Several things here:
1. In regards to marketing, I recall how Sony was going to try to make Sackboy a mascot for the PS3. That appears to be the extent of how they are marketing.
2. Why are people saying R2 was released "at a bad time"? Because it went against CoD:WaW? If it was all that, has Playstation media hyped it up to be, why wouldn't people say World at War was released at a bad time? This is the holiday season.
3. Anyone know what the record for the most games sold during a launch week/month of February is, when KZ2 is scheduled to come out? Do people here believe hat KZ2 is going to set a record for sales during February?
4. I remember Frontlines: Fuel of War did a strategy of sales the way KZ2 is, on the belief it would have "no competition". How well were sales then?
http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=16790
5. If World at War is all that, then explain why is Gears still dong as well.
6. Does Resistance 2 really suck that bad? Check out Gamerankings. Over 50% of the reviews have it in the 90s.
7. Isn't it entirely possible that the PS3 just isn't the console of choice for FPS, so a game like Resistance 2 merely show where an first party FPS would do on the PS3? Doesn't matter how great the game is, the platform just isn't one for FPS to be dominant. In regards to the PS2 and the original Killzone, wasn't Killzone and SoCom the FPS franchises of choice for Playstation players?

8. Given the state of the world economy, are things going to be better or worse February 2009 than Christmas this year?

All and all, I would say that, on the low end, KZ2 would come just under Resistance 2 (not outselling it). On the higher end, it will approach MGS4, when it is all said and done.  The reason for my saying this is when it is set to be released.  You DON'T release your top titles in February, because that is a slow selling period.

richardhutnik said:

Several things here:
1. In regards to marketing, I recall how Sony was going to try to make Sackboy a mascot for the PS3. That appears to be the extent of how they are marketing.
2. Why are people saying R2 was released "at a bad time"? Because it went against CoD:WaW? If it was all that, has Playstation media hyped it up to be, why wouldn't people say World at War was released at a bad time? This is the holiday season.
3. Anyone know what the record for the most games sold during a launch week/month of February is, when KZ2 is scheduled to come out? Do people here believe hat KZ2 is going to set a record for sales during February?
4. I remember Frontlines: Fuel of War did a strategy of sales the way KZ2 is, on the belief it would have "no competition". How well were sales then?
http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=16790
5. If World at War is all that, then explain why is Gears still dong as well.
6. Does Resistance 2 really suck that bad? Check out Gamerankings. Over 50% of the reviews have it in the 90s.
7. Isn't it entirely possible that the PS3 just isn't the console of choice for FPS, so a game like Resistance 2 merely show where an first party FPS would do on the PS3? Doesn't matter how great the game is, the platform just isn't one for FPS to be dominant. In regards to the PS2 and the original Killzone, wasn't Killzone and SoCom the FPS franchises of choice for Playstation players?

8. Given the state of the world economy, are things going to be better or worse February 2009 than Christmas this year?

All and all, I would say that, on the low end, KZ2 would come just under Resistance 2 (not outselling it). On the higher end, it will approach MGS4, when it is all said and done.  The reason for my saying this is when it is set to be released.  You DON'T release your top titles in February, because that is a slow selling period.

1) Sony had too much faith in Sackboy.
2) LOL. No FPS can compete with Call of Duty, after Modern Warfare.
3) I have no idea what record sales for late February are, but I don't see how that matters, GTA4 did over 2 million in April...
4) Frontlines: Fuel of War sucked.
5) Gears 2 is a third person shooter, not an FPS. Also, it had a larger fanbase due to the higher sales of the original Gears, which was a lot better than Resistance: Fall of Man.
6) It doesn't suck. When did I say it sucked? It's the best exclusive FPS for the PS3, at least for another two months.
7) Call of Duty 4 will cross 4 million easily, CoD:WaW could potentially cross 5 million. Oh, and SOCOM is third person, the original Killzone was a great game buried under many technical issues.
8) I doubt it'll get worse, probably stay around the same, and around the same isn't really a bad thing.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

i stand by my prediction because internet hype is going to make this game very frontloaded. after that, sales will die down quickly.

It also depends if Sony Cuts the price prior to it's release, Killzone 2 itself wont move that many consoles (MGS 4 did move some, but KZ2 wont move that many) , it will be havily bundled like all Sony's 1st Party titles, im really unsure how much this can sell, Resistance 2 was hyped and it did all right but it had more potential.

I'll try to be optimistic and let's say Killzone 2 ill sell 3 million copies in a year and a half after it's release.

I expect maybe 250k-350k range for the first week. The 1st one did not sell well at all, so I do not expect much at first.

If it fails to live up to the hype, I do expect a lot of backlash for this game.

damb i think 1.1 million 1st week 425K OTHERS 425K USA 150K JAPAn

cod4 on ps3 is the best fps game on ps3 and is now at 3.9 million and still selling could make it to 5 million. anyway my point is if call of duty 4 can do well why cant killzone 2. killzone 2 will be ps3 best fps game. it looks more amazing then cod4 and by feb 09 the ps3 user base will be around 21 million i predict (usa) 550k (euroupe) 750k ltd 4-5 million.