By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - N-Revolution closes, blames Nintendo’s shift away from hardcore gamer.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=64926

“The decision to suspend N•Revolution has been taken because it has become increasingly obvious that Nintendo’s strategy for Wii and DS is no longer in line with Imagine Publishing’s target readership, and has moved increasingly away from the hardcore gaming community that is our specialty. With many new launches and especially acquisitions coming to fruition, we believe the resources and manpower are better spent in other markets where advertising revenue and PR support are stronger and sustained. Imagine will continue to drive purchases of Nintendo software with games™, Retro Gamer and our new multiformat videogames website, NowGamer.com, and we hope to work closely with Nintendo in the future on those magazines.” - managing director Damian Butt

Wow.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Might be immature, but I laughed at the man's name.

talk about sour grapes.....this guy even with being in the industry cant see the big picture

nin is expanding all markets

it has been proven that they are producing just as many "hardcore title" as they ever have

the only difference is that they are also producing more casual gamer title

this guy just dosnt like change and his company needs a scape goat for not keeping up with the times

mesoteto said:
  his company needs a scape goat for not keeping up with the times

I think this last point is the main one. Gaming mags in general are in trouble. Hell, EGM is in danger of shutting down soon, and it has nothing to do with Nintendo "going casual." I guess it's nice that these guys have a scapegoat, though.

Well, he's genuine, because if the readership has dropped and the new material reduced to the point where it is economically unviable to continue, that can't be faked.

Nintendo, if you want my money, you need to make a high-quality, first-party (not any of your crud satellite developers like Ambrella/NST; I mean EAD, Retro, IS or similar) title for the Wii or DS that is aimed at an experienced gamer in a traditional genre. If you don't feel my cash is worth your investment, that's fine. But at least come out and say so. Don't leave this market in a state of perpetual waiting.

Around the Network

What a Cry baby. Paper magazines are a thing of the past. I wonder if EGM is going to blame NIntendo too when they close.

@mesoteto: The guy may be right, after all is core gamers who usually go out and buy game magazines to be well informed about what's coming up. Casual gamers will just go out and buy a game whenever they enter a store, they dont have clue about upcoming games most of the times.

They had to close it because it looks like core gamers weren't interested in what Nintendo is offering this gen, so people weren't buying their magazines. If sales go down it's because of a reason, not because magazines are thing of the past, cause every other single magazine would be disappearing. The thing is Nintendo chose to go more into the casual side of gaming this gen, hence the slow sales of their magazines. During the GC era, I can assure you sales were way higher.

Let's hope that the other remaining Nintendo magazines stay on float, I have a big collection of the Club Nintendo magazines, which is the official magazine for Latin America. But it's been a while since they have arrived here, I'm fearing the worst.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

alfredofroylan said:

I wonder if EGM is going to blame NIntendo too when they close.

Rumor is they've already decided to blame Wii Fit. =P

Excuse me if I find it ironic that they called themselves Revolution, and then closed down when a fundamental change in power or organizational structures took place in a relatively short period of time.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Who reads magazines anymore?